Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of doing East Coast: Worst case

Options
  • 09-03-2011 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Currently in Melbourne working away, wondering if anyone has any experience of the costs involved of doing the east coast, Melbourne to Cairns? Ive set myself 6-8 weeks so a rough idea of costs for that time would be cool.

Things to consider:

I've no car and dont plan on buying one, BUT I may if it makes sense.

I'd like to go to Thailand for 6 weeks after the east coast.

Costs includes everything. Food, Accom, Drink (maybe twice a week), Flights etc

I also would like to be able to do the things I want with no worries, i.e. I'd like to be comfortable but not exorbitant.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Ps. I'll be doing the West Coast next year before someone says never mind the East, do the west.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

There is no black/white answer for this.

I did this trip from melbourne to Cairns 2 yrs ago & spent enought money to scare the sh** of of most people planning like wise, so i wont divulge it here, I was pretty flush then and lived it up. but as a rule you

need to work out how much you want to spend per day.
      Take a daily budget * no days (say 20-100$/day) then add on travel, not forgetting hostel/camping charges per day, they can be sneakily high.
        then add travel chargers e.g. grey hound $800 pass / hitching (free)
          then add on all those experiences you need to do
          e.g. whit sundays/fraiser island/sky dive/scuba great barrier reef/ local tours......prices on google
            then add maybe 10-25% contingency money for stuff you never expected, you may not need this but.......

this should give you a rought guide line. Hope this helps

Also three wise notes from 12months solid backpacking

1) SE asia will be exponitially cheaper (and IMOP much better) so dont wast e too much on east coast,
            2) 2 night a week boozing sounds very tame, v-good in principle but unless your a socail recluse & not inclined to a bit of craic, every single night travelling is a saturday night on tour.. so keep that in mind, session as spontaneous & frequent
            3) Time is cheap as in, it cost lots of money to do stuff/go places but if you add in extra time/days its works out cheaper and lets you relax more, soaking up the athmosphere,

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Notch000 wrote: »
            I did this trip from melbourne to Cairns 2 yrs ago & spent enought money to scare the sh** of of most people planning like wise, so i wont divulge it here, I was pretty flush then and lived it up. but as a rule you

How much? over how long?
            I don't think you are going to scare the OP,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Notch000 wrote: »
            There is no black/white answer for this.

I did this trip from melbourne to Cairns 2 yrs ago & spent enought money to scare the sh** of of most people planning like wise, so i wont divulge it here, I was pretty flush then and lived it up.
            but as a rule you

need to work out how much you want to spend per day.
              Take a daily budget * no days (say 20-100$/day) then add on travel, not forgetting hostel/camping charges per day, they can be sneakily high.
                then add travel chargers e.g. grey hound $800 pass / hitching (free)
                  then add on all those experiences you need to do
                  e.g. whit sundays/fraiser island/sky dive/scuba great barrier reef/ local tours......prices on google
                    then add maybe 10-25% contingency money for stuff you never expected, you may not need this but.......

this should give you a rought guide line. Hope this helps

Also three wise notes from 12months solid backpacking

1) SE asia will be exponitially cheaper (and IMOP much better) so dont wast e too much on east coast,
                    2) 2 night a week boozing sounds very tame, v-good in principle but unless your a socail recluse & not inclined to a bit of craic, every single night travelling is a saturday night on tour.. so keep that in mind, session as spontaneous & frequent
                    3) Time is cheap as in, it cost lots of money to do stuff/go places but if you add in extra time/days its works out cheaper and lets you relax more, soaking up the athmosphere,

Thanks for taking the time to write this post, appreciate it but the bolded part is EXACTLY what I wanted to know.

How much it cost you? In $ terms. You wont scare me :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

Thanks for taking the time to write this post, appreciate it but the bolded part is EXACTLY what I wanted to know.

How much it cost you? In $ terms. You wont scare me :cool:

$13,426 for the trip your planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 piddles

melb wrote: »
                    $13,426 for the trip your planning.

woah! That shocked the bajasus out of me.
                    And here i was thinking heading over to oz for six weeks with ammmm 2,000 but i do have free accomodation along the way :D

• Advertisement
                  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nicmarie

eh thats a bit far fetched!! im going to do the east coast in a few weeks and i have talked to loads of people who have done the east coast and they spent a lot but no where near that much! i have booked a campervan for 6 weeks with my bf and its costing us 1400 each and its sweet looking! We both have 2000 each for spending money and we have been told that enough to do the trip! mabey 600 more each! we plan to do everything were just gona be smart with our money :D
                    So ya dont need $13,000 to do east ocast unless your planning on eating in 5 star resteraunts and staying in 5 star hotels!!! Come on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

the 13 grand answer was without doubt a smart ass reply. ignore it nicmarie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I hoping to have about $100 a day for 6 weeks for the whole east coast so that's about $4200 min, ideally have about $5000

Advertisement