Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Witness the fitness

Options
  • 09-03-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

Ok, been acting the bolix for far too long now. This log is gonna track my progress from overweight drunken slob to lean mean running machine over the rest of this year. I have tried to get back many times and failed every time. It is also rumored that the phrase "pulling an OI" is used amongst some a/r/tists when someone goes off the running radar. The time has come to get focused and use a bit of will power.

In order to do this, I need to plan nutrition and training detail down to the minutae and stick rigidly to these plans. Proper rest must also be factored in. I'll start by planning on a day by day basis and hopefully then I can begin to make weekly plans for running and nutrition. I have also decided to pack in the booze for lent in order to kick start the process. This will be a warts n all account of food and training and is very much open to criticism.

The goal races for the moment are The Wexford Half Marathon, just to get fit really, and then the Cork Marathon Relay which means I have to be at 7:30 miles for 5/6 miles in thirteen weeks.

This will require weight loss. I am currently 13.5 stone. I would like to lose a stone in the next 12 weeks. Again, diet is gonna ne crucial here. I wouldn't like to go into what I eat presently as its too embarassing but this is a fresh start and I will absolutely honest with what I eat from here on in. I will be updating this log on a daily basis.

Plan for tomorrow:
    Breakfast|Break|Lunch|Dinner|Snack
    Supplements(gluc)(fishoils) Porridge OJ|Yogurt - Orange|2 x Ham/cheese sand on BB|Chicken Stir Fry with noodles|1xpnut butter on BB|

Distance|Pace|Time
    3 miles |slow|9 o'clock|

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

It is also rumored that the phrase "pulling an OI" is used amongst some a/r/tists when someone goes off the running radar.

No, it's called 'pulling a woddle' :pac:

Good to see you back, best of luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Good to see you back. Take your time and enjoy your running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Good stuff xavi, we'll keep each other on the straight and narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Plan for today v real today:
    Supplements(gluc)(fishoils) Porridge OJ|Yogurt - Orange|2 x Ham/cheese sand on BB|Chicken Stir Fry with noodles|1xpnut butter on BB|
    as above|as above + coffee|as above + 2 x handfuls of nuts|as above + 2xcheese slices|none yet|

Distance|Pace|Time
    3 miles |slow|9 o'clock|
    3.8 miles|10.5 mm|39:36mins|

yeah I'm happy with today. Put too many noodles on the dinner plate maybe and could have done without the two slices of cheese particularly after having cheese for lunch but this is a good day for me. Felt a bit too full after dinner maybe. Could also have done without the handfuls of nuts (no sniggering please). Undecided about the peanut butter on toast, not hungry yet.

The run was good today. I felt like I could have gone further and was very surprised at my stamina. I'm not sure of the exact distance. It could be closer to 4 miles. In addition I did some stretching before hand and after, particularly IT bands and I threw in a few poor form push ups for good measure. I also walked the two miles to and from work so a 4 mile round walk aswell then.

So plan for tomorrow:
    Supplements(gluc)(fishoils) Porridge OJ|Yogurt, banana, coffee|2 x Ham/cheese sand on BB|?? undecided|1xpnut butter on BB|

Distance|Pace|Time
    3.x miles |slow|9 o'clock|

So plan for today v real today
    Supplements(gluc)(fishoils) Porridge OJ|Yogurt, banana, coffee|2 x Ham/cheese sand on BB|?? undecided|1xpnut butter on BB|
    Supps (gluc)(fishoils) 2xBB Toast,OJ|Banana,Coffee|Chicken Jal Frezi + Pilau Rice (wtf)|BB sambo ham+cheese|2xfistful of mixed nuts|

Distance|Pace|Time
    3.x miles |slow|9 o'clock|
    5.5miles approx|10:20mm|56:50 mins|
    [/QUOTE]

Happy enough again today, had an indian at lunch time but I was starvin marvin. There was plenty of veg in it aswell.

The run went ok. Felt slow and a tad sluggish up the hills, to be expected tbh. Developing small blister in right foot, nothing to worry about. Have that soreness / tension in upper back between shoulder blades again. Again not worried about this, think it can be stretched out and some exercises will help aswell as improving posture in work and bed (i.e. sleeping on one pillow ;)) etc. Went further than I thought but it takes me ages to get ready for a run between stretching and the like so I never saw the point of just running 3 miles. Delighted to be back running again.

We're bloody lucky to have that privelege.

Plan for tomorrow

Supplements(gluc)(fishoils) Porridge OJ|muffin, coffee (its saturday)|2 x brown bread sambos|bringing the missus out for her b'day, starter,main only, no desert|summink else during day|

Distance|Pace|Time
    3 laps of race course|slow|early|

• Advertisement

eh diet was pretty much the same as planned above yesterday bar a couple of scoops of baked alaska ice cream at lunch time and a couple of spoons of Mrs. Ivax's jamaican ginger cake tonight. Really need to start incorporating more fruit into this diet. Tomorrow will be pretty much as follows:

Slice of Toast, water
    Run
    Porridge
    Sambo of some description
    Dinner of some description

Will be doing the shopping tomorrow so dinner will depend on that. Didn't run today, the race course would have been too soft altogeter but moreover, the legs were a bit sore after last nights run so thought it wise to leave for a day. Did manage to walk around 3 - 4 miles though, pushing a buggy for the most part aswell so got some exercise. Feel like I've de-bloated some what particularly after the bingefest that was Barcelona. Feeling pretty good about things. :)

What I've eaten today thus far :)
    Porridge|Yogurt, 2xcereal bars||||

Running

Distance|Pace|Time
    5.6 miles |10mm|56 mins|

Totals for week then
    Day|Distance|Pace|Time
    Thursday|3.3 miles|10.5mm||
    Friday|5.6 miles|10.33 mm||
    Sunday|5.6 miles|10mm||
    Totals|14.5 miles|||

Bit of a niggle today in the right knee, was there on friday aswell but I'd say its just teething problems. Plenty of stretching before and after and a couple of rounds of back extensions / press ups. Delighted with myself for getting back into it. Todays course is toughish aswell, up the fabled sinnotts town lane. Beautiful morning - birds suddenly appeared, every time I was near, couldn't understand that :)

Ease back in nice and easy OI, you don't need to be running every day, you'll just cause yourself an injury.
    For now I'd say 3 or 4 runs a week for a month or two, getting the mileage slowly back up to 20-25 a week. It looks like you're trying to jump staright into 20+ mile weeks.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Ease back in nice and easy OI, you don't need to be running every day, you'll just cause yourself an injury.
    For now I'd say 3 or 4 runs a week for a month or two, getting the mileage slowly back up to 20-25 a week. It looks like you're trying to jump staright into 20+ mile weeks.

from the man who ran a 50k ultra, the barcelona marathon and a 20 & a 30 mile training run in the space of 2 weeks:pac:

seriously though, I think I'm far more inclined to run slowly these days though as in 10 min miles. The benfits of time on the feet became really apparent to me when I did a bit of running there last summer. I know the body fairly well aswell at this stage and I am definitely more inclined to take a day off when I think its necessary, as I did yesterday.

But you are right, I am trying to get to 20+ mile weeks straight away, I think I'm good for it though, just taking it slowly. I really want to do the Wexford Half Marathon and I want to get a couple of 10 mile runs a possibly an 11 / 12 mile run in before it. I'm feeling pretty good about it I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I agree with meno, your legs aren't used to it and if you try too much too soon you'll just pick up an injury. Even at the lower speeds, you need time t adapt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Beautiful morning - birds suddenly appeared, every time I was near, couldn't understand that :)

Have I told you lately that I love you? You always make me smile. Glad to see you back running:)

OJ, shreddies|apple, granola bars|2 x chicken & cheese sambos, yogurt|cabonara|frankfurter (ahem)|

Running

Distance|Pace|Time
    5.6 miles |<10mm|55:30 mins|

Good run today, beautiful day again so really glad to be out there. There was a beautiful sunset around 6pm which was the high (low) light of the run. Felt like I had a bit more energy at the end of the run today so that was good. Tension between the shoulders was a bit more pronounced today which is a bit annoying, need to work on that a bit more. Other than that little or no niggle and I did have a bit of a niggle in the knee from Sundays run so glad that that has cleared itself up.

Hope to do approx 5 tomorrow, was gonna go in the morning but we'll see. More than likely the afternoon.

Today running:

Distance|Pace|Time
    5.12 miles |9:33mm|48:55|

Fell off the wagon diet wise today, was going ok until I got home from work and then pigged out a bit. Made the 9 o' clock run a bit tougher despite the slight increase in pace. Tired on this run today and feel like a need a day off tomorrow which suits fine cause I'm going for a 7 mile LSR on friday. Seriously considering buying a pair of runners online now. Any runner I've ever worn is UK size 10 so thinking about getting the Mizuno Wave Inspire on the advice of Rainbow Kirby. I know its a no no to buy before you try but they are pretty good value. Another plus was back tension wasn't as bad this run.

Today running:

Distance|Pace|Time
    5.63 miles |9:12mm|51:50|

Good day today. Picked up two new pairs of runners today. After much deliberation I decided to plump for the Brooks GTS 11 and the Nike Lunar Glides.

19352b16-ba73-4427-8f6a-1f753d3bfcec.jpg

4294639991_78416ba4fb.jpg

The Lunar Glides look great but I did my run today in the Brooks:

This is my fifth pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS runners. The 8's were good, the 10's were great (lighter), but these are something else. This is the most comfortable run I think I've ever had, the shoes are great. They are even lighter than the previous iteration and holding it beside the Mizuno Wave Inspire 7, I would say its definitey comparable weight wise. It felt like I wasn't hitting the ground as hard as I used to so they must have more cushioning than previous models. They fit like a glove, and I had very little by way of aches and pains after the run, unlike some of my previous runs. The shop also had the previous model and I was nearly going to get them because I was used to them but this is a much improved shoe IMO.

So, I dont know whether it was the shoes or the lack of alcohol or an improvement in fitness but I had a spring in my step today. I was out for a 7 mile LSR but after 3 1/2 miles I felt great so opened the taps (as much as they can open at this early stage), decided to leave the LSR til Sunday and finish the 5.6 miles route strongly. It felt good as I knocked a minute per mile off last weeks time. Happy OI today. :D

Running

Distance|Pace|Time
    7.2miles |9:41mm|69:34 mins|

LSR - 7 miles. Good run, took ages to get going but once I got warmed up, it went well. Best thing was, I didn't have any of the back tension I had. Right shin was little niggly, but I think its ok. Really pleased to be back out there again.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/74000749

Wore my old runners today because it was wet and raining - awwww

Totals for week then
    Day|Distance|Pace|Time
    Tuesday|5.6 miles|<10mm|55:30|
    Wednesday|5.1 miles|9.33 mm|48:55|
    Friday|5.6 miles|9:12mm|51:50|
    Sunday|7.2 miles|9:41mm|69:XX|
    Totals|23.5 miles|||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Good stuff xavi, your putting me to show :D

Running

Distance|Pace|Time
    5.63miles |8:52mm|49:57 mins|

Really good run tonight, felt strong and gave it a bit of tempo. I feel like I'm progressing well, good to get under the 9 min miles. Not much to report, was concentrating on the breathing, a couple of scummers started belting stones at me with a hurl alright, but it was harmless enough. Really looking hard at the 10K in Rosslare on easter monday, would love to get a sub 50 there, that would lead me onto the Wexford Half Marathon then, maybe 1:5x and then the Cork Marathon relay.

I do think I'm progressing well this time, don't know if its muscle memory, the zero alcohol or the fact that I'm sleeping well and eating better than I was. Or maybe its a combination. Feeling good anyway.

Decided to drop the nutrition log, too lazy, I am eating quite well though, needs some improvement still.

Totals for week
    Day|Distance|Pace|Time
    Tuesday|5.6 miles|8:52|49:57|
    Wednesday||||
    Friday||||
    Sunday||||
    Totals||||

Broke in the Nike Lunar Glides tonight, no problems with blisters or anything like that. They are noticably firmer than the brooks and the legs had to work a bit harder. They are definitely lighter though. Felt the left IT band tighten a bit and the legs definitely felt heavier but that could be after the tempo session yesterday. Probably pushed it a little too hard again tonight. Day off tomorrow and possibly long run on friday - 8 or 9 miles.

Tonight - 5

Totals for week
    Day|Distance|Pace|Time
    Tuesday|5.6 miles|8:52|49:57|
    Wednesday|5.12|9:09|46:54|
    Friday||||
    Sunday||||
    Totals||||

Be careful with the Lunarglides, keep them for the short stuff for the time being. They would have nowhere near the support you're used to.

Be careful with the Lunarglides, keep them for the short stuff for the time being. They would have nowhere near the support you're used to.

yeah definitely, kind if thinking I should have got the lunar eclipse

NIKE-Lunar-Eclipse-2.jpg

• Advertisement

yeah definitely, kind if thinking I should have got the lunar eclipse

NIKE-Lunar-Eclipse-2.jpg

They look pretty snazzy.

Out of interest, what colour are your lunarglides?

sin é

Nike-LunarGlide-2-Dark-GreyVolt-4.jpg

Nice, I have the same ones. Very sexy.

Nice, I have the same ones. Very sexy.

yeah, I think thats probably 98% of the reason I bought them. They may be totally impractical for me but by jaysus they look good and at the end of the day, thats all that matters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

by jaysus they look good and at the end of the day, thats all that matters :D

*looks at the new white and pink shoes just waiting for her*

*cries*

yeah, I think thats probably 98% of the reason I bought them. They may be totally impractical for me but by jaysus they look good and at the end of the day, thats all that matters :D

Sure you can always wear thema round town to show off. I have got a few envious looks round the mean streets of clondalkin as I went to collect my chinese on a sunday evening :pac:

I also got a pair in this colour

104941390_lunarglide2mens10a.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

sin é

Nike-LunarGlide-2-Dark-GreyVolt-4.jpg

They're pretty.

I'm now on my last pair of original lunarglides. Though I haven't been able to bring myself to throw any of them out yet. Not sure if I'll ever be buying anymore, funny 'cos I think I converted half this forum to lunarglides. :pac:

*looks at the new white and pink shoes just waiting for her*

*cries*

you'll be ok RK, a few more rest days here and there and loosen up those IT bands with stretching and rolling and they will respond well. Physical therapy helps aswell I think but it needs to be a deep massage and sore. I could only take one session but I'm a wimp.

They're pretty.

I'm now on my last pair of original lunarglides. Though I haven't been able to bring myself to throw any of them out yet. Not sure if I'll ever be buying anymore, funny 'cos I think I converted half this forum to lunarglides. :pac:

why won't you be buying any more?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I offered her a free session on Sunday, but she knew it wasn't a selfless offer as I just want to strip her ITB's. I LOVE messing with peoples ITB's, see how high they can jump off the plinth. :pac:

Advertisement