Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher english to lower english? Need help!!

• 09-03-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I recently did my mocks and got a D3 in higher level. I am dropping down not to risk failing english for the real thing. I was wondering does anybody know hoe the course structure changes when you drop to lower level?? What are the main differences and what makes ordinary level more easier ?? Any help would be really appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

In ordinary level you have to study a set list of poems (they are common to the poems covered at higher level), and the poem you're asked on appears on the paper. You study poems as opposed to poets basically.

The single text and comparative must still be done, but the questions are easier. There are also different comparative themes, "relationships" is one of them, you'll have to look up the rest though (or just ask your teacher, s'what they're there for!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

To be honest, if you managed a D3 in the mock, there's no reason you shouldn't go up in the real thing with a bit of work. As another poster said, the main difference is poems printed on the exam instead of having to know poets. You still need a comparative, albeit with slightly different headings and shorter answers. Paper I structure is identical at HL and OL and the marks for each section are the same at both levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

deemark wrote: »
    To be honest, if you managed a D3 in the mock, there's no reason you shouldn't go up in the real thing with a bit of work. As another poster said, the main difference is poems printed on the exam instead of having to know poets. You still need a comparative, albeit with slightly different headings and shorter answers. Paper I structure is identical at HL and OL and the marks for each section are the same at both levels.
    At OL, however, even though the paper structures are similiar, less is expected of you in what you write and the quality of it, etc.

I'd ask your teacher for advice on whether or not to drop to OL, the mock could've been marked hard and the teacher should be aware of your performance to date. There's nothing wrong with asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

I recently did my mocks and got a D3 in higher level. I am dropping down not to risk failing english for the real thing. I was wondering does anybody know hoe the course structure changes when you drop to lower level?? What are the main differences and what makes ordinary level more easier ?? Any help would be really appreciated :)

Are you really sure you should drop down?

Last year, in my first LC mocks, I got only a D2 and I was devastated. And further more, I had a heads up from a friend who sat the english a week before me. And only got a D2.
    In the real thing I got a B3. My highest result.

All I did was actually put in a little bit of work ...by no means did I strain myself (hence the repeating). I first of all organised myself and knew what type of writer I was. Im a short story person!

So I did one every 2weeks and handed them up. However, I must admit, I didnt really do much for paper 2. Only ever practised essays on Poetry and single text characters. So what Im trying to say is, if you have the basics and grasp of whats going on in paper 2, its honestly, well for me, all ya need. I guess my paper 1 practise and reading my own books stood to me.

You dont need to be writing essays after essays on paper 2. That paper is a curveball. Dont waste your time. Just get a general jest of all the texts, and dont bog yourself down with essays online etc.

I think you should invest some time in organising and writing out points and quotes for paper 2. And be done with it. Then practise your diction and structure. It will stand to you ! :)

And I dont care what teachers say about film adaptions, i find watching them for fun gets you interested! But thats just me !

And to be honest, if you got a D3 in August, its 45 points. Same points as a B1 in OL..... So, id say stick with it. You have nothing to lose.

And besides, mocks are marked harder for the most part.

Best of luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

First of all, you need to be clear on why you got a D3.

Did you leave out questions or parts of questions? If so, there is no reason to drop, as you did not give yourself a chance.

If you answered the right number of questions, but your answering was poor, then maybe you would be right to drop.

Discuss ways you can improve your mark with your teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

A D3 in english is not the end of the world i only got 41 % in my mocks last year and i was pissed at my self big time because a studyed hard for it but you still have a good bit to go to the real thing so you can work on getting your grade up

Like i have dyslexia and i got a test done and it was in the bottom 6 % for spelling but have a IQ of 132 and ended up with a C3 in higher Level with no study what so ever and never going to class so if you study you can do well in your tests and you can get anything you set yourself to get because if i would have study and of my tests i would have got a B3 in english because at the begin of the year i was getting B1 in class for my work then i just gave up. But i had the best english thatcher in my school who i met the other day i was delighted for my result because if you cant spell and get a C3 in engish anyone can get anything they need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I just found out that I failed my English mock. I only got 35%. I didn't study at all, unless your teacher says that you should drop down I wouldn't. It depends on how much work you have put in. If you gave it your all I would probably drop, but if you did not put much effort in I would. Where did you go wrong, did you forget quotes or what poet matches with what poem? That type of thing can be easily fixed by the real exam. However if you did bad in paper one I would consider going down. As that type of stuff will not be learned by then.

You can use all of the same texts on OL as on HL. You will just not be expected to write as much or as good quality.

The poetry is also printed on the page for OL.

Good luck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

I really wouldnt drop tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

Don't drop down, the whole course is way different and you won't know what to do with yourself. You're so close, you can definitely go up to a C3 if you work at it. Get your basic essays that are really good and be able to change them in the exam and you'll be fine.
    Seriously, theres no comparison in the points.
    The OL course has a different way of doing poetry... studying poems not poets etc, comparitive is 2 not 3 forms of literature.

Please let me advise you not to drop down, it's March. You have until June. Thats 3 months to work at it. Trust me, it's the better option.
    For example, I failed my phys/chem exam in the mock, I ended up with a C1 in the real thing, I just worked hard - learn the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

orlabobs wrote: »
    Don't drop down, the whole course is way different and you won't know what to do with yourself.
    <snip>
    The OL course has a different way of doing poetry... studying poems not poets etc, comparitive is 2 not 3 forms of literature.

To be fair, it's not "way" different, it's only the poetry. You can use only two texts in certain questions at HL too - another reason to stick at HL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 iloveboobies

I'm in a similar situation as you are in, this might help ;)
    http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/examcentre_senior.asp?id=5258

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dannnnn

If you're worried about the poetry, don't be. I just got my English back for the mocks and I got a B2 on my poetry question - I only discussed 2 poems and didn't even have a conclusion, as this was all time would allow me. I'm certain if I had completed it, I would've got full marks.

So it really is quality, not quantity. I wouldn't advise you dropping down tbh. Higher level English may seem daunting now, but it's a lot more manageable than people may think.

Advertisement