Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging for Parking?

• 09-03-2011 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

I don't know about anyone else, but I was dismayed to receive the email from ITB staffer who shall remain nameless, but they basically said:

In order to get planning permission for more car parking spaces, the college needs to use less.

I can't make sense of it, if someone can help me? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

I don't know about anyone else, but I was dismayed to receive the email from ITB staffer who shall remain nameless, but they basically said:

In order to get planning permission for more car parking spaces, the college needs to use less.

I can't make sense of it, if someone can help me? :D

That seemed to be pretty much the gist of it alright. Didn't make much sense to me either.

Here's a link to DCU's parking info for any wanting to compare out of curiosity. Judging from the NCPS website it seems UCD, IADT and probably more importantly for us (since they're closer in size to us AFAIK) ITT and DKIT have paid parking.

Well looks like I'll be cycling again (or just park in a spot where there is no parking space nor any double yellow lines within 5 mins walk of college :D )

I think that if they do introduce paid parking, it will take a while to implement and I'll be gone out of here so I don't really mind, however for people who live far from the college then it will do serious damage to the pocket especially with the price of petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

KonFusion wrote: »
    That seemed to be pretty much the gist of it alright. Didn't make much sense to me either.

Here's a link to DCU's parking info for any wanting to compare out of curiosity. Judging from the NCPS website it seems UCD, IADT and probably more importantly for us (since they're closer in size to us AFAIK) ITT and DKIT have paid parking.

Thanks Kon for info, interesting. All the rest have a lot better transport links than ITB. ITT has Luas and the rest have dedicated bus services from major train stations (like DCU from Drumcondra etc.

ITB is still a greenfield site in the middle of nowhere, which Fingal CoCo are directly responsible for. Kicking the football 10 years down the road when parking is required and being fussy for planning permission is all FCoCo's fault. At at the when thy demand a rise in student numbers!! None of the rest of the colleges faik have the option with much land around them.

I tried commuting from Leixlip which was train to castleknock and bus to Corduff. Dublin bus have such a sh***y service it wasn't feasible, I was either an hour early for class (which doesn't bother me) or an hour late depending on their whims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

I can only see two out comes.

One, they put in the fees, more then likely pressure on bus service goes out the window and more service's are put on route to the college eventually, and I can't stress enough how long that might be just plain awful until more bus service's are added.

Two, they don't put the parking fees in but for those that use the bus atm, their service stays as f****** useless for a little longer then option 1. But numbers attending the college is pretty much an up hill spiral at the moment, which I'm assuming is going to continue, in whice case, the car park, which can't be expanded will become stuffed, so people start to use the bus and slowly but surely it is upgraded to the extent of choice 1, and we still have some free parking.

... to be honest... I forsee parking fees... think of the clamping, no amount of complaints stop these things in itb, they just do what they think is for the best.

I know a proper car park needs planning permisson and that the college needs that kind... but what about just using a **** load of compacted gravel????
    people park on it, and college can use that as ammo when they apply for actual permission for a real carpark.
    Maybe the college could just be smarter about how they expand things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭donfarrell

Ye itb must be the worst college to get to, I used to get the bus up and back but then then they cut a load of 38's and 38a's that i was waiting 2 hours for a bus home.
    The train is more reliable but it takes forever to walk from castleknock station, they need like a free shuttle buss going from the shopping center to blanch village then to the college for free :L

• Advertisement

donfarrell wrote: »
    The train is more reliable but it takes forever to walk from castleknock station, they need like a free shuttle buss going from the shopping center to blanch village then to the college for free :L
    Not gonna happen free haha.

But if they got a bus to run every half hour between times like 8-11 and 1-4, for €1 between centre and college, I reckon they would make a profit...(or at least just break even)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 vinnyirl

They don't need to change for car parking they just default to that way of thinking because they don't want to try anything new. They are having a meeting next Wednesday to discuss the possibilities but paid parking should not be one of possibilities.

I think they should bring in parking permits and charge €5 to cover the cost of the permits. Don't allow anyone who lives within walking distance of the college to get a permit (walking distance is 2km = 40min) with the obvious exception of anybody with a disability.

Anyone who registers on the ITB car sharing website would get a different colour permit allowing them to park in reserved spaced which would be allocated just for the car shares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

vinnyirl wrote: »
    They don't need to change for car parking they just default to that way of thinking because they don't want to try anything new. They are having a meeting next Wednesday to discuss the possibilities but paid parking should not be one of possibilities.

I think they should bring in parking permits and charge €5 to cover the cost of the permits. Don't allow anyone who lives within walking distance of the college to get a permit (walking distance is 2km = 40min) with the obvious exception of anybody with a disability.

Anyone who registers on the ITB car sharing website would get a different colour permit allowing them to park in reserved spaced which would be allocated just for the car shares.

There is no way they'd even think about implementing that... Why? because it makes sense thats why it'll never happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

Just wondered did anyone go to the meeting? I couldn't attend, I wanted too though :cool:

Has anyone every been clamped in ITB?

Just for future reference, if your clamped, it is against the law what the clampers have done...

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/print.html#sec113
    A person shall not, without lawful authority or reasonable cause, interfere or attempt to interfere with the mechanism of a mechanically propelled vehicle while it is stationary in a public place, or get on or into or attempt to get on or into the vehicle while it is so stationary.

• Advertisement

without lawful authority or reasonable cause

I believe they have one if not both of these.

Nope I don't think they have neither.

As for "lawful authority", they is not law which legalizes clamping/supports the clampers. Therefore they have no lawful authority. I think lawful authority applies to Garda.

As for "reasonable cause", who decides that? Lets say I'm clamped for parking wrongly. When the van stops to clamp me, I can clamp him as I have reasonable cause. That bascially means anyone can be clamped anywhere because the clampers are deciding the "reasonable cause".

Take the WIT case in 2007.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55163862&postcount=7
    Judge ruled clamping illegal at WIT 18/1/2007
    Judge William Harnett ruled at Waterford district court last week that WIT has no authority to clamp the Vehicles of people who park illegally at its cork road campus.

The case originated when a clamp was removed from a car by its owner on January 5th last year. The judge ruled that the owner was entitled to remove something that was stuck to his car by whatever means and if it damages his car, he was entitled to claim damages.

While there where notices up in the car park informing motorists that clamping was in operation, Judge Harnett ruled that there were no laws to support that notice before dismissing the case.

WITSU expects that WIT will seek legal clarification on this matter and that clamping will continue for now. WITSU welcomes the ruling that clamping is illegal, however does not encourage motorists to park in dangerous or unhelpful positions.

If I get clamped next year, the clamp with either be getting cut off, or superglue poured into the lock!

However, clamping by Dublin City Council is legal as they passed a by-law to allow it (or something like that).

Hmmm interesting find.

Go for it!! I'm all against the clamping.

Nope I don't think they have neither.

As for "lawful authority", they is not law which legalizes clamping/supports the clampers. Therefore they have no lawful authority. I think lawful authority applies to Garda.

As for "reasonable cause", who decides that? Lets say I'm clamped for parking wrongly. When the van stops to clamp me, I can clamp him as I have reasonable cause. That bascially means anyone can be clamped anywhere because the clampers are deciding the "reasonable cause".

Take the WIT case in 2007.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55163862&postcount=7

If I get clamped next year, the clamp with either be getting cut off, or superglue poured into the lock!

However, clamping by Dublin City Council is legal as they passed a by-law to allow it (or something like that).

I remember reading that awhile back. The problem there is, all they had was signs up, no actual documentation created by the college to back it up. I'm pretty sure all those emails from itb are considered legally binding regardless of whether any of us read them.. we still 'received' them.

I agree that some people are going to get done while others such as mechatronics/apprentices carry their toolbox's with hacksaws and the like around, making it a bit laughable that they could be clamped.

I believe the clamping will only be for bad parking??? So in that case they do have justifiable cause.. as the college have created all their nice documentation that they emailed around to us all outlining the new clamping and what kind of parking will get you clamped.
    So were informed in their eyes.

I think you can argue all you want.. but honestly... when you come out of college after a hard days whatever.. the last thing I'd want to have to do is start quoting motor laws to some guy who just clamped my car in an attempt to get it removed.. He'd more then likely laugh you off and say yeah whatever.. you still have to get home tonight XD..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

Thats construed as criminal damage apparently, However if ya can remove the clamp without damaging it there is nothing they can do legally. apparently there is some way to do it that involves removing the wheel !

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mickus40

I got clamped there on Wednesday morning. My exam was in the afternoon and I came in early to study in the library. There was NO parking available. I drove around twice looking for one. There were cars parked up on the grass but no parking spaces anywhere. I parked in a spot that was unobstructed, plenty of room to get past, granted it was on double yellow lines. You know the road up behind the car park, runs parallel with it. I went in to study and came out at 11am to find my car clamped. Cost me 80 euro to get it off. Pissed me off because there really was no where else to park. What about all the cars up on the grass, why were they not clamped? Anyway paid it reluctantly. Bloody 80 euro. broke my heart! I think they could have a policy during exam times not to clamp. Theres so many people coming in during this time its always hard to get a space.

Thats construed as criminal damage apparently, However if ya can remove the clamp without damaging it there is nothing they can do legally. apparently there is some way to do it that involves removing the wheel !
    While yes it is criminal damage, they would have to prove it was me that cut it off. And yes you can remove it, you need some tools though.

brendanL wrote: »
    I remember reading that awhile back. The problem there is, all they had was signs up, no actual documentation created by the college to back it up. I'm pretty sure all those emails from itb are considered legally binding regardless of whether any of us read them.. we still 'received' them.

I agree that some people are going to get done while others such as mechatronics/apprentices carry their toolbox's with hacksaws and the like around, making it a bit laughable that they could be clamped.

I believe the clamping will only be for bad parking??? So in that case they do have justifiable cause.. as the college have created all their nice documentation that they emailed around to us all outlining the new clamping and what kind of parking will get you clamped.
    So were informed in their eyes.

I think you can argue all you want.. but honestly... when you come out of college after a hard days whatever.. the last thing I'd want to have to do is start quoting motor laws to some guy who just clamped my car in an attempt to get it removed.. He'd more then likely laugh you off and say yeah whatever.. you still have to get home tonight XD..
    Indeed, that the advantange of not living too far from college :)

Also a hacksaw would have no hope in getting through the clamp chain/lock (hardened steel).

I agree people should be clamped for bad parking, but what I dont understand is, how is parking on the gravel (beside first rows of spaces) bad? You don't block anyone if you park there...

They were quick introducing it!

Didn't think it would happen for a few years!

19082011305.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

Seriously pissed off at this, I can't afford to be spending another 50 euro on travel expenses to and from college, 3/4's of my wages go on getting me to and from college every week as it is.

What happens when you have a permit but there's no parking spaces and you can't park on the grass like normal or you'll end up getting clamped? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

This whole parking thing is a f***ing joke. Another 50/80 euro, nice one.

I just can't see how they'll enforce it.

There must have been 100+ cars on the grass at times last year. I doubt they have 100 clamps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭donfarrell

KonFusion wrote: »
    I just can't see how they'll enforce it.

There must have been 100+ cars on the grass at times last year. I doubt they have 100 clamps.

Was reading through this thread and said the exact same thing to my unicorn beside me :L

Anyway, if i had a car I would not pay, I'd park me car in the car park beside the centra and the school and the bus stop instead, bit of a walk but who has 50 euro to spend a space you probably wont get unless your up with the security guard at 6 a.m :L

donfarrell wrote: »
    Was reading through this thread and said the exact same thing to my unicorn beside me :L

Anyway, if i had a car I would not pay, I'd park me car in the car park beside the centra and the school and the bus stop instead, bit of a walk but who has 50 euro to spend a space you probably wont get unless your up with the security guard at 6 a.m :L
    I email the college asking what happens if I buy a permit, and don't get a parking space. If I park on grass, will I get clamped?

Still waiting for a reply...

Will let your know what they say.

I can also see apprentices just using their tools to cut clamps off...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FB5

i was talkin to the estate guys and the deal is...

They are selling more permits than spaces, the excuse is that not everyone is in on the same days of the week? (BS)

If there are no spaces available (which there won't be), you can pay 1 euro per hour or 5 euro per day for pay and display parking. This will be located on the whole row where the visitor parking used to be.

ANyone that parks along the entrance road will be clamped.

They said they hope to add a few spaces up near the link.

#moneymakingracket

We should all protest!!

....oh wait....never mind :P

FB5 wrote: »
    If there are no spaces available (which there won't be), you can pay 1 euro per hour or 5 euro per day for pay and display parking. This will be located on the whole row where the visitor parking used to be.

That's bollocks, so they want us to pay a lump sum for parking and then try to make us pay daily when they can't facilitate us. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know/think that the road up to the link building counts as an 'access road', meaning you can't park there either now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 TeachMealog

Part of me hates the fact i went to college in an era when driving to college was not an option.
    I know post celtic tiger it has become the norm. whatever about city centre colleges, but outer city locations such as DCU, tallaght and blanch should not have charges for parking, since they soon become just a revenue stream
    the car park in DCU is a disgrace and example of bad design

• Advertisement

I know it says already you can't park in the P&D daily spots with just a permit.
    But I can already see the P&D area being parked in by permit holders. Who then try to argue their way out of it. Causing a lot of 'heated debates' there's definitely going to be some headaches on this one. :rolleyes:

Advertisement