Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging for Parking?

2»

Comments

But what annoys me is that you are paying for parking, and therefore should be entitled to a space!!

If getting a permit, does that not normally mean there is a space reserved for you somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

Yeah it's just going to create aggression/problems. I know it'd be a ridiculously short amount of permits... but atleast you'd what your in for if you got one. This way it does cause the whole 'german's with beach towels scenario' at 8am XD.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 vinnyirl

Thought I should clear a few things up on the parking stuff. The idea of paid parking pissed me off just like the rest of you, so I went to the meetings they had to discuss alternatives and guess what.....there was none.

The college applied for planning permission for extra parking spaces and was granted permission but only if they provide "incentives" to not drive to the college. unfortunately this resulted in paid parking and even more unfortunately it required us to charge an amount which would not seem too low as it would not disincentive people from driving to the college. So in short you are being charged to park at ITB to pressure you into not driving. Other options were explored in the past to get people to use public transport but none were successful

All the money collected from the permits and the hourly/day tickets minus the admin cost will be going to a shuttle bus service. This service will be subbed by the parking costs to make it a cheap alternative to get to the college, an excellent idea imo but a shame paid parking had to come in to get it. unfortunately they havent yet posted the costs of the bus which are supposed to be low or have an optional year ticket system.

During the meetings many alternatives were discussed to help solve to problem including adding temporary parking spaces on the grass, and a hell of a lot of parking spaces could have been provided but this was thrown out as the more spaces that are available the more they will get filled (backed by research from someone can't remember who)

A paring permit in most large institutions will never guarantee you a spot because this would be a waste of space and would cause more problems if it was 1 permit per space. Most people are only in college 4 days a week so if it was 1 permit per space there would be empty spaces, never mind the people who don't come in for day or weeks at a time and the half days. Would everyone really like it if there was only 700 permits and it was first come first serve?

If the students choose to strike there will be nobody to strike against as the entire college is paying for parking not just the students and nobody, including the people who brought it in wants it. Also a strike will not stop it. If all the students stand together and not park in the college you may get a response but seeing as that's the point it really will not work. Sorry that's not entirely true you could strike agains Fingal County Council for making the college enforce this and take all the blame when the blame should be squarely placed on Fingal and not ITB.

If the cost is a major issue for you there are some alternatives:
    *Park at the NAC a walk over or get the new shuttle bus if you don't want to walk for 15min
    *Park at the centre and walk for 30min or get the shuttle bus
    *Car share, no point in two people driving separate cars if one can do it
    *Buy a motorbike as these are not being charged (WHY? Because they take up 1/3 the space of a car and don't use car spaces, also more efficient)
    *Start using public transport bus to the centre and shuttle to the college or train to coolmine and shuttle to the college (Both more expensive than €50 BTW)

Also you should note that you cannot park anywhere after the entrance gates or you will be clamped, if you go in a drive toward the LINC and decide to park there you could get towed by Digiweb.

Wow that post ended up being very long, the one point to take from it.

It's not the colleges fault it is the fault of Fingal County Council

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭donfarrell

The shuttle bus is free which I think is a must if it was gonna work :)

Also there's no news about the cycling incentives yet : p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭FenJai

Had a chat with our new SU pres the other day about the cycling incentive and it seems to be something along the lines of handing out a €100 bike voucher for the cyclists. Not bad for those of us who need a new bike but for those who already have gear sorted it leaves a little to be desired.

I would rather we receive something more constant like a free lunch once or twice a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

....yes and a man servent who travels around with you carrying your laptop and other essentials. Just because you got to college by 'green' methods :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

Cheers for the reply Vinny, it really is appreciated and clears up a lot of points. A few things though...
    vinnyirl wrote: »
    All the money collected from the permits and the hourly/day tickets minus the admin cost will be going to a shuttle bus service. This service will be subbed by the parking costs to make it a cheap alternative to get to the college, an excellent idea imo but a shame paid parking had to come in to get it. unfortunately they havent yet posted the costs of the bus which are supposed to be low or have an optional year ticket system.
    Hourly/day tickets? I was under the impression that the shuttle bus was free for students? If it's not, then I'd see that as a further slap in the face to people who forked out €50 for it. Imo this will benefit people who already get public transport to college via the centre or people who live around that area more so than people who drive to college.
    If the students choose to strike there will be nobody to strike against as the entire college is paying for parking not just the students and nobody, including the people who brought it in wants it. Also a strike will not stop it. If all the students stand together and not park in the college you may get a response but seeing as that's the point it really will not work. Sorry that's not entirely true you could strike agains Fingal County Council for making the college enforce this and take all the blame when the blame should be squarely placed on Fingal and not ITB.

What I'd like to see/suggest is all students not paying the permit and parking on the main road outside the college gates on Blanchardstown Rd N, maybe then that'll wake Fingal Co Co up as I can't see them being too happy about students parking on a busy road and slowing down/creating more traffic.

If the cost is a major issue for you there are some alternatives:
    *Park at the NAC a walk over or get the new shuttle bus if you don't want to walk for 15min
    Can't see the NAC being too happy about that or that lasting too long without them doing something to stop this.
    *Park at the centre and walk for 30min or get the shuttle bus
    That seems to be the best option for students but it's still an awful alternative, drive to the college, turn around 'cos there's no spaces, drive 10 minutes down the road, wait for the bus, 10 minutes back up the road and that's half an hour/40 minutes to get to get back college by which time you've missed your class
    *Car share, no point in two people driving separate cars if one can do it
    A LOT of people already do this
    *Buy a motorbike as these are not being charged (WHY? Because they take up 1/3 the space of a car and don't use car spaces, also more efficient)
    Are you seriously suggesting student's should buy a motorbike as a viable alternative? :confused:
    *Start using public transport bus to the centre and shuttle to the college or train to coolmine and shuttle to the college (Both more expensive than €50 BTW)

This is where one of my main gripes come from, the public transport to the college is an absolute farce (Nothing to do with the college), meaning that a lot of people who aren't in the college's catchment area have no choice but to drive to college (myself included). Parking should not be charged for anyone be they, staff, students, lecturers, cleaners or management, while the public transport system to the college is in it's current state.
    During the meetings many alternatives were discussed to help solve to problem including adding temporary parking spaces on the grass, and a hell of a lot of parking spaces could have been provided but this was thrown out as the more spaces that are available the more they will get filled (backed by research from someone can't remember who)

There's no reason that a grassed area couldn't be levelled and gravelled and used as an overflow for students while still using parking permits. Parking permits are a incentive in themselves for people not to drive/to car share.

The college is taking out circa 30 spaces for P&D parking while at the same time increasing student numbers, it's a recipe for disaster.

Thanks, Vinny. ;)

I am going to get a permit. If they're no spaces, I will park on the grass. If I get clamped, I will removed it myself, by any means necessary (A Consaw can be rented from Sam Hire (Coolmine Ind. Estate) for €30).

I don't care if they threaten me with criminal damage (I will just reply with "prove it was me that did it!"). Fact is they are themselves breaking the Road Traffic Act 1961.

Also, I like you suggestion, LeeJo, about parking on Blanchardstown Rd N.

Edit:
    In order to be clamped, your have to enter a contract with the college/clamping company.
    After some reading, there is actually another bit of legislation which makes clamping illegal.
    Wilful obstruction.

9.—Any person who, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, wilfully prevents or interrupts the free passage of any person or vehicle in any public place shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £200.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0002/sec0009.html#sec9

Since the contract breaks the law, it is void. Therefore, clamping in ITB is against the law.

Would I be right in this? I believe I am?

Mods:Might be going a bit of topic, so Kon/mods remove this edit if you want.

A nice thread about clamping.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055949024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

brendanL wrote: »
    ....yes and a man servent who travels around with you carrying your laptop and other essentials. Just because you got to college by 'green' methods :rolleyes:

Hey! We're saving the world goddammit!!! Now where's my man-servant :P

Btw, for those of you wishing to lobby FCC, details of who to contact can be found here http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Planning/

Throw them an email expressing your concerns and see what their stance is on it.

• Advertisement

Leejo wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply Vinny, it really is appreciated and clears up a lot of points. A few things though...

Hourly/day tickets? I was under the impression that the shuttle bus was free for students? I

Sorry I thought they were going to charge a nominal fee like €.50 a trip or something. But you are right it is free to use the shuttle bus which is amazing.

What I'd like to see/suggest is all students not paying the permit and parking on the main road outside the college gates on Blanchardstown Rd N, maybe then that'll wake Fingal Co Co up as I can't see them being too happy about students parking on a busy road and slowing down/creating more traffic.

WOW, give me a ring if a lot of people do this I would love to see it.
    Are you seriously suggesting student's should buy a motorbike as a viable alternative? :confused:

Yes I am, and what is wrong with driving a motorbike? I am not suggesting people just go buy a bike and drive in, im suggesting you do it the right way and go get proper training on a motorbike and then drive into college. Motorbikes get the skip the traffic and always get a parking spot. Yes they will continue to be a dangerous form of transport untill cars stop crashing into them and that's why there is so much training required for a motorbike. GET TRAINED BE SAFE.

There's no reason that a grassed area couldn't be levelled and gravelled and used as an overflow for students while still using parking permits. Parking permits are a incentive in themselves for people not to drive/to car share.

Durring all the meetings this idea was brought up many times and shot down each time for many reasons such as it would look unsightly and any permanent car park needs to go through planning permission which they cannot get untill they brought in the parking fees (catch 22) We did try to get around the planning permission part by saying these new spaces would be temporary, hell I even contacted a company that would have come out and place these metal grate things on the grass which allow the grass to keep growing while supporting the weight of a car so it doesn't damage the grass. But still planning permission gets in the way.

The college is taking out circa 30 spaces for P&D parking while at the same time increasing student numbers, it's a recipe for disaster.

Actually they are not taking out any spaces as the space being used for P&D is the visitor spots which you couldn't park in any way.

Sorry I thought they were going to charge a nominal fee like €.50 a trip or something. But you are right it is free to use the shuttle bus which is amazing.
    To be honest with the money they'll raise from parking permits I'd expect it to be free, more than enough to cover the costs.

WOW, give me a ring if a lot of people do this I would love to see it.

Why not just park with us, It's only been muted to my friends in ITB and they've been up for it, don't know about the wider population. Would people be up for protesting in this way? I certainly would and am considering parking there from day 1 of term.
    Yes I am, and what is wrong with driving a motorbike? I am not suggesting people just go buy a bike and drive in, im suggesting you do it the right way and go get proper training on a motorbike and then drive into college. Motorbikes get the skip the traffic and always get a parking spot. Yes they will continue to be a dangerous form of transport untill cars stop crashing into them and that's why there is so much training required for a motorbike. GET TRAINED BE SAFE.

I'm sorry but getting rid of your car to buy a motorbike purely so you can get parking in college is not a viable alternative. Motorbike/scooters are fine for some, but it's not everyone's cup of tea nor does it suit everyone. I do not have the want nor desire the drive a motorbike or scooter or get rid of my car for one. They are also massively dangerous whether you're properly trained or not

Durring all the meetings this idea was brought up many times and shot down each time for many reasons such as it would look unsightly and any permanent car park needs to go through planning permission which they cannot get untill they brought in the parking fees (catch 22) We did try to get around the planning permission part by saying these new spaces would be temporary, hell I even contacted a company that would have come out and place these metal grate things on the grass which allow the grass to keep growing while supporting the weight of a car so it doesn't damage the grass. But still planning permission gets in the way.

Look unsightly? So what?
    ITB do not have to go to Fingal Co. Co. to let cars parked on a grassy/gravelled OVERFLOW area for a car park. I have absolutely no problem paying per year for parking if it has to be done, PROVIDED I have somewhere to actually park my car.
    Actually they are not taking out any spaces as the space being used for P&D is the visitor spots which you couldn't park in any way.

Are you 100% on that? I read somewhere that, that whole row will become P&D. I'll look for the link tomorrow, too tired now.

I'm not having a go at you Vinny in any shape or form so apologies if I come across that way.

To be honest ITB need to stand up to Fingal Co. Co. over this and find a way to come to some sort of mutual ground, either that or support/organise a protest over refusal of planning permission if they're really serious about helping students over this

I'm not having a go at you Vinny in any shape or form so apologies if I come across that way.

I know your not, I would much prefer you to disagree with me for every reason under the sun than to agree with me for no reason. Debate is what creates ideas, such as parking on Blanch Rd. North :). Love me or hate me I have my opinions and I will stick to them unless proven wrong, in which case I will admit it or at least try to (it ain't easy).

To be honest with the money they'll raise from parking permits I'd expect it to be free, more than enough to cover the costs.

I think you are underestimating the cost of the shuttle bus, it is extremely expensive to run a bus for this long every day. There are people in the college taking up an extra working load with no extra pay manage the permits to facilitate the bus because doing this entirely through a third-party would make it unfeasible. Although I bet you we are now going to have problems which non ITB getting a free ride on the bus.

Why not just park with us, It's only been muted to my friends in ITB and they've been up for it, don't know about the wider population. Would people be up for protesting in this way? I certainly would and am considering parking there from day 1 of term.

I am finished at ITB, that's not to say I wont be back, CompSoc does do some amazing LAN parties which I will sneak in for but I am not a student there anymore. However I was part of the committee that brought in these changes and I feel responsible for bringing them in whether they were right or wrong.

I am sure people will protest the problem but the students of ITB have a habit of waiting untill the last-minute to get involved. Paid parking started long ago and emails were sent out to get students involved in the decision process but only myself and one other student applied to be apart of it, maybe things would have been different with more students on the panel. I am not saying this is everyone's fault for not getting involved just that things may have been different if more than a fraction of the students cared when it started rather than getting angry when the changes came in.

If you all decide to park on a public road I hope you know the risks you are taking, at the very least you will be clamped. At the worst you could be arrested, fined, have your car towed and/or end up in court.

I'm sorry but getting rid of your car to buy a motorbike purely so you can get parking in college is not a viable alternative. Motorbike/scooters are fine for some, but it's not everyone's cup of tea nor does it suit everyone. I do not have the want nor desire the drive a motorbike or scooter or get rid of my car for one. They are also massively dangerous whether you're properly trained or not

Getting rid of a car to buy a bike may not be a viable solution for you but the cost of a car will almost pay for a motorbike + insurance. Motorbikes are not for everyone I do understand this. Driving a motorbike requires a hell of a lot more concentration and preemptive thinking than a car which is where the fun is for me (not everyone's cup of tea). Motorbikes are dangerous when hit by a car but proper training can help prevent this and limit the injuries. Listen, the stats speak for themselves driving a motorbike over a car is trading the safety of an aluminium cage for getting from A to B faster. Enough has been said I say reasonable risk you say massively dangerous I think were stuck on this point, which I shouldn't have brought up in the first place.

I also must state my bias on this, I started at ITB using public transport and it took about an hour and a half to get to college, then i started driving a car which took an hour with all the traffic and trying the get parking, finally I got a bike and it took about 25 minutes to get to college park and get out of my safety gear. Obviously I kept driving the bike and it is why I still do, yes I had one crash which was because I had no training and did not notice a person in a car that did not look right before pulling out but now after many, many hours of training I do notice this stuff and have been driving happily and cautiously for years. FYI if you ever drive a bike think that all people who drive cars are blind people who are trying to kill you and you will be fine :)

Look unsightly? So what?

A lot of people do care how the college looks and cars parked the whole way up to the college looks ugly to some. It's a matter of opinion and therefore something that can be changed. What I am saying is it was tried and failed and not just by me but staff members of the college too but it was decided that it looked unsightly and was denied. Oddly the unsightliness was the ruling factor even though it was later found it would be impossible without planning permission.
    ITB do not have to go to Fingal Co. Co. to let cars parked on a grassy/gravelled OVERFLOW area for a car park.

You are dead wrong there as it would count at a permanent car park, OVERFLOW or not. It would therefore need planning permission. If ITB where to ignore this LAW they would be in a whole heap of trouble.

Are you 100% on that? I read somewhere that, that whole row will become P&D. I'll look for the link tomorrow, too tired now.

Originally there where quite a few visitor parking spaces, these spaces will be uses for P&D along with some spaces taken for the additional car park which is being built.

To be honest ITB need to stand up to Fingal Co. Co. over this and find a way to come to some sort of mutual ground, either that or support/organise a protest over refusal of planning permission if they're really serious about helping students over this

I agree with you as long a ITB means the Students of ITB, the reason for all of this is the college is treated as something different from a commercial business but when it comes to car parking it is not too much different at all. We should be given the same planning rights as a commercial business with 3,000 employees (3k is a guess of the people at ITB).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

Any of you guy's wanna come on d15 today on Phoenix Fm to discuss this? We'll support ya any way we can

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tansed

Im only starting next thursday as a mature student and I drive, having to worry about a car space in now a headache along with worrying about starting over in college. I was at the open day today and was talking to one of the lecturers and he was also worried about this.

I said my concern that if someone drives to the college and gets there 10 mins before a lecture and realises there aint any spaces imagine the stress..they have now ten minutes to find a space somewhere NAC,Sopping Centre etc and then try make there way to the college, crazy stuff.

But the lecturer said especially 1st years will get stressed if they miss lectures and before they know they could fall behind with the possibility off quiting, which did make me worry. I know im a first year compared to most here, but still im worrying and I have not even walked through the door yet.

ITB is awarding a contract for the construction of additional parking near the LINC. Construction should commence in about 3 weeks time and is expected to be completed before Christmas. There will be a net increase of 47 parking spaces bringing the total number of parking spaces on campus to approximately 634. That will be 15 disabled spaces, approx. 40 Pay & Display (10 at the LINC and 30 in the main carpark) and the remainder will be permit only from 1st November.

A step in the right direction but more spaces are still needed, hopefully construction doesn't obstruct the spaces already available in the linc before their completion.

@Vinny - "40 Pay & Display spaces". That's fairly certain to me that they're taking out the whole row where the visitor spaces were previously.

So before Christmas we're down 30+ spaces but after Christmas we'll be up 47 over in the linc, 10 of them will be Pay & Display so in total we'll be up 7 available spaces on what we had last year...

A step in the right direction but more spaces are still needed, hopefully construction doesn't obstruct the spaces already available in the linc before their completion.

@Vinny - "40 Pay & Display spaces". That's fairly certain to me that they're taking out the whole row where the visitor spaces were previously.

So before Christmas we're down 30+ spaces but after Christmas we'll be up 47 over in the linc, 10 of them will be Pay & Display so in total we'll be up 7 available spaces on what we had last year...
    So there will be 579 normal spaces for what I would guess 4000+ student of which I would say 20% of the drive.

Also I would say there is easily 60+ (maybe a lot more??) staff who drive.

So lets say 20% or 1 in every 5 students drive (I would say it's more, just remember all them cars on the grass/road last year) = 800+.

So Minimum, 800+60=860+ people for 579 spaces. Yeah, thats going to work... *sarcarism*

Edit:
    Wiki says there is 200 staff? So add, I would say around 100, onto 860+....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

i am new student and i have a car... thanks Good, i am living in blanchardstow. Over all those clashes for parking space, i am really considering use bycicle.

Anyone know, how safe leave bicycle at itb ? Easy enough park bicycle there (bays or railings ) ? Any reports of stolen bicycles there ?

thanks

Mar4ix wrote: »
    i am new student and i have a car... thanks Good, i am living in blanchardstow. Over all those clashes for parking space, i am really considering use bycicle.

Anyone know, how safe leave bicycle at itb ? Easy enough park bicycle there (bays or railings ) ? Any reports of stolen bicycles there ?

thanks
    I cycled for 1.5 years and nothing ever happened my bike.

There is bike sheds and they are in area where people are always walking around and there is camera watching them too, so yes, they are safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭donfarrell

Probably a stupid question but does Itb own the land?
    Also has anyone seen that field to the right of the road leading up to the linc building? Its huge, why not just pay some guy to throw down some gravel ffs :L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

so anybody have an update on the parking situation there.I went to itb back in 05 and finished up in 09 and even then the parking was chaotic although there was no clamping in operation so most people just abandoned cars everywhere.im going back to itb in september and am already dreading the parking situation

triple-M wrote: »
    so anybody have an update on the parking situation there.I went to itb back in 05 and finished up in 09 and even then the parking was chaotic although there was no clamping in operation so most people just abandoned cars everywhere.im going back to itb in september and am already dreading the parking situation
    Parking is fine. If you get a permit (cost €80) than you will have no problems. If you have no permit, you will, more than likely get clamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bikerg

Don't forget to add, some people will use your car for spare parts while parked there.

bikerg wrote: »
    Don't forget to add, some people will use your car for spare parts while parked there.
    Huh?

I have being parking in ITB for over a year, and nothing ever happened my car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

Huh?

I have being parking in ITB for over a year, and nothing ever happened my car.

I parked in ITB for four years and went through moped to motorcycle to car and I never had any issues :P (even left keys in the bike once :eek: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

is there any designated motorbike parking or do motorcycles have to use regular car spaces and pay full whack?

triple-M wrote: »
    is there any designated motorbike parking or do motorcycles have to use regular car spaces and pay full whack?
    Motorbikes can park where the bike sheds are. Its free to park for bikes currently.

I parked in ITB for four years and went through moped to motorcycle to car and I never had any issues (even left keys in the bike once )

Yep, I have left the car open a couple of times and nothing has ever happened...

Advertisement