Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for jobs when in Australia - Tips

Options
  • 09-03-2011 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

I have been floating around Boards now in this section for over a year now and have read / responded (to occasionally) a number of questions or problems people have had finding work in Australia. I arrived in December of 2009 and found work inside 2 weeks of looking, there is no proven formula. I am now back working in recruitment but worked in Insurance for the first 4 months of my stay (2 years experience back in 01/02) so it was a challenge for me at the time to find something a little different. Anyway, below is some pointers that I hope will help everyone.

One other thing before I start, I am not in a position to help 99% of people on here (basically anyone without PR / Citizenship) so I apologise in advance if I decline anyone who wants to send me their CV.

1. CV / Resume

People forget sometimes they are putting their entire life on a piece of paper and send through 2/3 pages of lazy, half ars3d rubbish that would be a waste of ink if printed off. This is one of the most important documents you will ever write in your life.

- Include your Visa Status including start & expiry date, this will cut out the waste of time phone calls or interviews
    - Spend a lot of time and effort on putting together your CV with a minimum of 5 bullet points per job.
    - Be sure to include dates for employment (months/years)
    - Make sure the font and si8ze are the same throughout the CV (yes, honestly it happens)
    - SPELLCHECK - this is an automatic delete for me if I see excessive red lines under words
    - Make it relevant to the job, 3 years in McDonalds - applying for a Service Engineer role, its not going to work don't even fool yourself.

2. Applying for Jobs

- Gumtree, SEEK, CareerOne, Applydirect...there is any number of places to look I'm not going to go through this
    - KEEP A RECORD OF APPLICATIONS - If you keep applying to the same company for different jobs you are never going to be considered. Apply once, if you see another job relevant to your skills then call to check your suitability.
    - Make sure your eligibility/suitability is relevant to the job - i.e. Visa Status/Contract length, if the information is unclear call before you send your CV
    - If you think your experience matches the job perfectly (including the above visa status etc) then call the day after you submit your application.
    - Ask if they have anything else suited to your skills or even any of their colleagues.. you don't ask you don't get.

3. The most important stuff I think...

- When job hunting have your phone by your side at all times so you can answer it. Too many times you call people who are not currently working, you have to leave a message and they don't get back to you until later in the day or the next day. This does not inspire confidence in recruiters or employers.
    - When asked when you can interview say you are available later that day (if possible) or first thing the following day if too late in the day. This will go a long way towards securing a job.
    - Speak a little slower and clearer than you would at home. Our accent at the end of the day is a foreign accent and can be difficult to understand by some people so take your time when talking, it feels a little odd but it does help.

People give recruiters a hard time, I accept that our industry is full of gangsters and shoddy characters but people have to understand we are not FAS and cannot respond to every applicant. We work on a contingency basis like the adds you see for Personal Injury solicitors "No win, No fee".

I am as guilty as the next recruiter for cutting corners occasionally but we are put under a lot of pressure. You are only as good as your last months sales figures. My manager does not care if you got 10 thank you cards off candidates. Candidates don't pay our wages!

I thought I would put this information out there as plainly as possible to help anyone/everyone who is on the lookout for work and as I said it is not a finite list, I merely hope there is something in there to help people out in some way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 anthony_moran

Great post, quick question, if, as a candidate, you don't have a visa and would require the employer sponsorship, does this deter employers greatly. Basically, is there much point applying for roles hoping for this sponsorship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

Interesting post some good points there.

However, any recruiter worth his/her salt should be able to send out group emails to those who did not get the job-no they are not too busy they just could not be bothered to take 5 minutes to do it. Not bothering to reply is pure laziness and prolongs peoples views about recruiters being a shower of cnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

melb wrote: »
    Interesting post some good points there.

However, any recruiter worth his/her salt should be able to send out group emails to those who did not get the job-no they are not too busy they just could not be bothered to take 5 minutes to do it. Not bothering to reply is pure laziness and prolongs peoples views about recruiters being a shower of cnuts.

It is not a question of being one being worth their salt, it is down to the IT systems in place and having the facility to do so. Our system thankfully does, some companies don't have the facility though. However if I get the same application over and over it just gets deleted after the second email rejection is sent out.

Generally I call people who put time and effort into their application though, its the lazy ones that generally are the ones who moan about not getting a response.

Like anything really, you will only get out of something what you put into it.

Great post, quick question, if, as a candidate, you don't have a visa and would require the employer sponsorship, does this deter employers greatly. Basically, is there much point applying for roles hoping for this sponsorship?

Some roles will state they require PR or Aus Citizens so don't bother applying for them ... usually it is clearly stated at the bottom. If not apply but make your Visa Status clear.

I don't know enough about you to comment on your situation as it is based on skills/experience etc

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Diddler82 wrote: »
    Some roles will state they require PR or Aus Citizens so don't bother applying for them ... usually it is clearly stated at the bottom. If not apply but make your Visa Status clear.

I don't know enough about you to comment on your situation as it is based on skills/experience etc

Great post, I have it bookmarked now. :)

Got a question for you, is it difficult for an individual on a WHV to get a supervisors role? In my case it will be the hospitality industry

I ask this as some posters are implying that an individual on a WHV are viewed as only suitable for menial jobs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

It is not a question of being one being worth their salt, it is down to the IT systems in place and having the facility to do so. Our system thankfully does, some companies don't have the facility though. However if I get the same application over and over it just gets deleted after the second email rejection is sent out.

Generally I call people who put time and effort into their application though, its the lazy ones that generally are the ones who moan about not getting a response.

Like anything really, you will only get out of something what you put into it.

It's refreshing to hear you give the impression that you care about the people taking the time to send you a CV and cover letter. As has been discussed on here before it is a well known fact that a lot of recruitment companies put up fake jobs to try and bulk up their CV database. So as well as being a shower of cnuts-yous are law breakers as well :eek:

But that discussion is for another day. Your original post was excellent. I'm sure some people will find it useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mod it would not have been that hard to re-phrase that without the insult

• Registered Users Posts: 11 anthony_moran

My skills are on the SOL and i have enough points to get qualify for PR but the cost and time delay would be nice to avoid, I know there are draw backs to employer sponsorship but I think I'd take the risk as colleague of mine who have the exact skill set have changed jobs in Australia within a short time frame due to the demand for their skils.

Basically, I've an Hon Deg in IT, 12 years exp. working mainly on Finance and Healthcare products. I've software development and Project Manager (PII) experience. I know without my full CV etc its difficult to judge but do you think based on my brief outline that my skills fall into to a category that would lend itself to employer sponsorship?

My skills are on the SOL and i have enough points to get qualify for PR but the cost and time delay would be nice to avoid, I know there are draw backs to employer sponsorship but I think I'd take the risk as colleague of mine who have the exact skill set have changed jobs in Australia within a short time frame due to the demand for their skils.

Basically, I've an Hon Deg in IT, 12 years exp. working mainly on Finance and Healthcare products. I've software development and Project Manager (PII) experience. I know without my full CV etc its difficult to judge but do you think based on my brief outline that my skills fall into to a category that would lend itself to employer sponsorship?

In short yes.

You fit the criteria for someone suitable for sponsorship. At this stage it is really down to perseverance and luck in finding an employer who can and will sponsor you mate.

I cant help with this unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 39 burkulosis

im just wondering about the likelyhood of a Legal Executive getting sponsorship in Oz. Ive 4 years experience, I have a Bsc and have completed 8 of the Blackhall Entrance exams.

Im 31 so do not qualify for the working visa but I am out here in Melbourne on a 3 month extended holiday and am considering applying for jobs while Im here.

What do you reckon my chances are? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Could I add the following to Burkulosis's questions.... Is it acceptable to Australian Immigration control for someone to look for and secure future work while on a holiday there? I.e. how would they feel about finding CVs etc. in your luggage upon arrival for a supposed holiday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Could I add the following to Burkulosis's questions.... Is it acceptable to Australian Immigration control for someone to look for and secure future work while on a holiday there? I.e. how would they feel about finding CVs etc. in your luggage upon arrival for a supposed holiday?

have you never seen border security? they'd have you on the first plane home...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

refusal entry and a 3 year ban.

also read on another forum about some Irish guy who went out to QLD on a holiday visa hoping to get sponsored for the flood rebuild. He started asking around for work filled out his details on a few application forms then some redneck faxed it to DIAC.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    refusal entry and a 3 year ban.

also read on another forum about some Irish guy who went out to QLD on a holiday visa hoping to get sponsored for the flood rebuild. He started asking around for work filled out his details on a few application forms then some redneck faxed it to DIAC.

What?! But surely it's only a problem if you actually officially work while on holiday there...? If your man was genuinely looking for a sponsored work visa then that seems fair enough - how else do the authorities expect people to get a sponsored visa?

I know I asked the question in the first place but I was hoping for / expecting the opposite answer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

why on earth would you print out CV's? Memory stick / email

And yes a holiday visa is just that - a holiday.

I doubt you'd be thrown out if you got a job

What?! But surely it's only a problem if you actually officially work while on holiday there...? If your man was genuinely looking for a sponsored work visa then that seems fair enough - how else do the authorities expect people to get a sponsored visa?

I know I asked the question in the first place but I was hoping for / expecting the opposite answer!!

Not sure if this guy is now banned or not but he said he got an awful grilling by immigration on his departure.

But really if you are going on a holiday visa looking for sponsored work you should declare it on your landing card.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

mandrake04 wrote: »
    But really if you are going on a holiday visa looking for sponsored work you should declare it on your landing card.

passenger_Card_back.jpg

If you were coming on a Holiday and declared it was for work the first thing that would happen is you would be interviewed to make sure that you have.
    • 1. Enough money to cover your total stay in Australia without having to work.
    • 2. Your accommodation sorted for you time in the country.
    • 3. A return date with ticket home.
    • 4. A full time job back home to return too.
    • 5. Letters from employers who have asked you to come for interviews for possible sponsorship.

You can’t just wonder around on a holiday visa asking about jobs. You can do that on a WHV alright as you have rights to work with that.

Without all of these you would be too much of risk to let into the country on a holiday.

As you have already stated you are there looking for possible work for in the future.

It would look too much like your trying to use the holiday visa to get into the country just to stay and work there.

As hussey said a Holiday visa is just that for Holidays

Thanks for all that info. I see the reasoning behind what you say but it's a big issue then for a certain category of people. As it is, I feel I've gate-crashed this thread so I'll do some proper research in the next few days and will start a new thread if I find my situation has not been covered previously on the forum. I basically see a big issue with the immigration system (who doesn't I suppose? :)) but may not have my facts right and don't want to go wasting people's time until I'm definitely up to speed.

Its a valid question. On a 676 can you look for work but never do any work on that Visa? I cant find it in the conditions.

I will be chatting to a Ex DIAC investigator next week I will see what he says.

Yeah its a valid question alright and a bit of grey area although in the 676 conditions
    This visa allows people to visit Australia for a holiday or recreation, or to visit family and friends. This visa may also be used for other short-term non-work purposes including study for less than three months.

Even if its allowed you are probably better to declare it on the landing card and then if anyone tips off immigration you can say that's the honest reason why you came and you are covered.

• Advertisement

Oh god yeah being caught out in a lie would sink you.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Hi, I'm planning on heading to Oz soon on a WHV, I have a science degree with two years laboratory experience, what do you reckon the chances of being sponsered are? Because if im heading over there id like to stay for a few years!

Zambia wrote: »
    Oh god yeah being caught out in a lie would sink you.

But I still agree with Hussey & Ozeire that a Holiday visa is just that.

Might be alright to meet someone in a pub and strike up a conversation about the work situation, but to go actively knocking on door asking for work or applying for jobs while on a holiday visa is skating on thin ice.

Reality is that you are no more likely to find a sponsor while on a tourist visa than using the internet or phone book, bottom line an employer cant give you a trial while in Ireland or while in Australia on a tourist visa.

Hence the advantage with the WHV and the majority of those dont even get a sniff of sponsorship over 2 years never mind 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Hey all,

I'm just wondering if anyone would know what are the costs associated with sponsorship?

In relation to a company sponsoring me?

I've only been here over a month and i am just curious about it?

Sorry if we have went off topic:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Found this thread, it might be useful for what i want to know.
    On the 1st post about the CV and what to put on it, it said to include your Visa information on it,what i want to know is how to word it, include when it was granted, when it starts etc?
    I'm going on a WHV in September.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Keep away from recruitment agencies in Australia (and don't accept advice from them on boards).
    If you thought they were bad in Ireland, they are 10 times worse in Australia.
    You will save yourself money and hassle by targeting companies you would like to work for.

If one were to give you advice about grammar and spelling on a resume/cv? direct them to seek.com.au where almost every ad has hideous spelling & grammar mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

STIG83 wrote: »
    Found this thread, it might be useful for what i want to know.
    On the 1st post about the CV and what to put on it, it said to include your Visa information on it,what i want to know is how to word it, include when it was granted, when it starts etc?
    I'm going on a WHV in September.
    Cheers.

All they care about is visa type and expiry date so I'd stick to that, anything else they can ask you at interview.

Advertisement