Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home plugs

• 10-03-2011 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Getting tired of my wireless connection and moderate NAT (i tried fixing it according to the very helpful thread on here) but its my belkin router
    gonna invest in homeplugs
    anyone use them here or have any recommendations, i hear 200 mbps is the best spec

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭DY2011

MikeMacca wrote: »
    Getting tired of my wireless connection and moderate NAT (i tried fixing it according to the very helpful thread on here) but its my belkin router
    anyone use them here or have any recommendations, i hear 200 mbps is the best spec

Buy a NETGEAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Rochie IRL

I've a Belkin router and my Nat is open. Does your router go to Open when you change it and then fall back to moderate? I had that happen a few times but it turned out if I had the laptop, xbox, Ipod touch connecting at the same time there would be a conflict and the xbox would change i.p and I'd have to go into the router and change it again so it would be open. How many devices are you connecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭MikeMacca

lads, my nat is beyond repair, in over a year ive never had open nat,despite mine and the thread starters best efforts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭DY2011

did you open all the ports etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Rochie IRL

lads, my nat is beyond repair, in over a year ive never had open nat,despite mine and the thread starters best efforts

Ok, Well I don't know much about homeplugs so I can't help you there. Sounds like you've exhausted the router options. Hope someone can help you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I use homeplugs. No issues with them at all. Just make sure they are on the same circuit as each other. Its also good practice to have them closest to the power cable end if using a plug extender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭MikeMacca

quick question: i have only one plug outlet in my downstairs room where the modem,router etc is.
    dont you need this power outlet for the homeplug? how are the routers etc meant to power?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Never heard of Home plugs till tonight. Not sure how good they are but apparently they work well with extension leads but terribly with surge protectors. So watch out for that if you use surge protectors.

quick question: i have only one plug outlet in my downstairs room where the modem,router etc is.
    dont you need this power outlet for the homeplug? how are the routers etc meant to power?

Double adapter. One without a surge protector. Probably pick one up in a 2 euro should for oh I dunno 2 euro :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Did you try calling Belkin?

0818 555 006 - Charged at a local rate but I won't lie - you'll be speaking to a callcentre in India.

• Advertisement

So I got a set of these today. So far they are the bees knees. Sorted out my connection issues big time. Try tokeep them plugged into the wall though. If you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Homeplugs are great. Definitely go for 200Mbps if you're buying them. HD streaming won't ever be an issue then. However, they are expensive.

Also consider spending decent money on a Win7/Xbox compatible router. Would be a cheaper option. I'm sure there's plenty of lists on the net of recommended routers.

The problem you'll have with homeplugs is that two probably won't be enough for you. You'll need one for where your broadband comes in, one for your xbox, one for your PC and one for each room you use other devices in. If you bought four, the fourth one could have your router on it so you could still have a wifi access point in the house but outside the main loop.

Oh crap, just realised I replied to an ancient post... sorry guys. Disregard the above :o

Advertisement