Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bare Rooted Copper Beech

Options
  • 10-03-2011 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Does anyone know of a good place to purchase quality bare rooted copper beech plants in the Munster Region? About 4ft high.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

are you a but late putting them down? would have though bare root season almost over.

future forests in cork do them, and i can recommend their mail order service. if you're up limerick/clare directiion i got 80 from a nursery near scariff and haven't had one fail one me, which is impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

mossym wrote: »
    are you a but late putting them down? would have though bare root season almost over

I thought March was the month for planting bare root plants ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

dh0661 wrote: »

Yes it is,you will get away with planting it in the next 2 weeks or so.;)

Tulleys Nurseries in Dublin is a very good supplier of bare root beech and hornbeams ranging from 2 feet tall to 5 feet tall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

dh0661 wrote: »

oops, sorry if it is, i would have thought it was the very end of the bare root season ..

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

I disagree about planting bare root trees. IMHO the season is over. Trees are budding all over the country. They don't care what the calender says. It's the weather that matters.

johno

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

johno2 wrote: »
    I disagree about planting bare root trees. IMHO the season is over. Trees are budding all over the country. They don't care what the calender says. It's the weather that matters.

johno

You will still get away with planting bare roots for the next 2 weeks or so.

paddy147 wrote: »
    You will still get away with planting bare roots for the next 2 weeks or so.

I agree that that's what people who sell bare root trees would tell potential buyers. I've bought and planted hundreds over the last few years and I don't believe that advice. My last trees went in the ground about 10 days ago and I'm worried that was too late.

johno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Nutri Eire

Just getting back to the topic in hand. I probably believe it is getting near to the end of the season for planting them but the forecasr for the next week or so is for clear sunny days 5-10 degrees and frost at night, surely plant take weather conditions into consideration as they do have an in built calander.

Just my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

There have been warnings and bans handed out this morning for the carry on that took place in this thread. Something that rarely ever happens in this forum.

There is no need for any of that nonsense tbh, so please play nice from now on, and stick to the OP.

( I say this knowing full well that the overwhelming majority of posters in this forum, never cause even a seconds grief and are a good natured sort)

Cheers

DrG

Nutri Eire wrote: »
    Just getting back to the topic in hand. I probably believe it is getting near to the end of the season for planting them but the forecasr for the next week or so is for clear sunny days 5-10 degrees and frost at night, surely plant take weather conditions into consideration as they do have an in built calander.

Just my thoughts.

Plant behaviour is governed by tropisms. To my knowledge they don't count days between going dormant and coming out of dormancy. I think that is what you mean by in built calendar. There are a load of different tropisms, geotropism, hydrotropism, thermotropism etc. The main factor in determining when plants come out of their dormant phase is thermotropism, but I think phototropism plays a part too. My trees started shooting 2 weeks ago, and I'm in Co. Limerick like you. Once the buds have swelled up the plant isn't dormant anymore and isn't well able to handle the stress involved in transplanting. This is even more stressful for bare root plants, it's not too bad if they're potted.

I don't know what part of Limerick you're in but Dundrum nurseries, about 10 km past Tipperary town, is one of the best nurseries I've found. I go there regularly even though it's about a 45km drive. If I was you I'd check if they have copper beechs in pots. If you buy a decent quantity there they usually give good discounts. You can find their phone number with a google search.

johno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Hers's what futureforests have to say.
    OUR MAIL ORDER SERVICE: Orders are delivered safely to your door at a very reasonable charge by An Post or Fastway couriers. Bare-root plants up to 5ft are available from late Oct to early April. Container grown plants are suitable for mail order at any time of year.

I bought sixty 4' Hornbeam hedge plants from them the last week of March three years ago. All plants are still thriving. If they are still selling bare root I'd be happy to buy - found them excellent to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Nutri Eire

Many thanks for the replies.I think I am a lot more knowlegable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Nutri Eire wrote: »
    Many thanks for the replies.I think I am a lot more knowlegable now.

If you are still looking for 4 plus foot Copper Beech and are in the Waterford Region ..P.M me and I'll give you a Ph No. and Address ...Not sure if he will still have some... but you can try..

Advertisement