Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams : Knife through Butter ?

Options
  • 10-03-2011 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I respect Gerry and think he did some great work on the peace process, i also think he deserves to be congratulated for getting elected to the Dail....But on a basic human level, he grates on me or cuts through me like a knife through butter. I now find i have to switch off because my ears reject his voice.
    Especially when he speaks Irish....now i'll readily admit i don't have much of the gaeilge but Gerrry speaks it like he only learned yesterday and each word is laboured to death.
    Don't know about you but if Gerry speaks too much in The Dail i think it won't do the Shinners any favours...Opinions ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Scaldy Ned wrote: »
    I respect Gerry and think he did some great work on the peace process, i also think he deserves to be congratulated for getting elected to the Dail....But on a basic human level, he grates on me or cuts through me like a knife through butter. I now find i have to switch off because my ears reject his voice.
    Especially when he speaks Irish....now i'll readily admit i don't have much of the gaeilge but Gerrry speaks it like he only learned yesterday and each word is laboured to death.
    Don't know about you but if Gerry speaks too much in The Dail i think it won't do the Shinners any favours...Opinions ?

i quite a strong supporter of Sinn Fein and really respect Gerry Adams but i really think the sooner he leaves the party the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What's your idea of doing great work for the peace process?

Anyway, I've said it before, Adams is ego-driven. He won't be going away without a fight.

And does he always have to stand beside Mary Lou MacDonald???

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Liam Mc Keogh

All of the political activists in the North learned and speak perfect Irish. Gerry Adams is no exception. He is also a very astute politican and will contribute a great deal to the Dáil.:) With regard to the accent---surely 32 counties will mean 32 different accents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

I voted SF, but i cant put my finger on it , id prefer the likes of Doherty doing the speaking for them.
    Sometimes I think its because the media and opposing politicians have done such a good job at ruining his image. So maybe its undeserved but I see where your coming from.
    PS, someone not being great at Irish wouldnt bother me tbh. Its always nicer to see them being more fluent but I wouldnt hold it against a politician not to be good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

zig wrote: »
    I voted SF, but i cant put my finger on it , id prefer the likes of Doherty doing the speaking for them.
    Sometimes I think its because the media and opposing politicians have done such a good job at ruining his image. So maybe its undeserved but I see where your coming from.
    PS, someone not being great at Irish wouldnt bother me tbh. Its always nicer to see them being more fluent but I wouldnt hold it against a politician not to be good at it.

Perhaps it's something to do with his alleged involvement in multiple attrocities over 30 years?

The younger TDs aren't stained by the Troubles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Gerry is a great man and decent person,anyone who knows him will say the same and anyone who gives him the time of day will tell you how intelligent he is.
    I didnt see not more than a snippet of his speech today as it was cut short and again the media didnt show him in the proper light.Only what they wanted to.
    If he grates you then god help you listening to Ming and Wallace.
    He will settle in well and he is there for the exact reason he was voted in to stand tall and to stand by Irish people.
    He will retire soon and hand over the reigns and i am for one happy he got in for his last years what a happy time it is for him and for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I think the people who voted Sinn Fein have already heard Gerry speak..so its not really a surprise he has a Northern accent!

You say you dont have 'much of the Gaeilge',so your problem arises when you hear someone from the North speaking Irish? Im confused!

I was delighted to the man sitting in the Dail today and when he spoke in Irish it brought a smile to my face. Why? Because he choose to..not because it was written for him to do so.

caseyann wrote: »
    Gerry is a great man and decent person,anyone who knows him will say the same and anyone who gives him the time of day will tell you how intelligent he is.
    I didnt see not more than a snippet of his speech today as it was cut short and again the media didnt show him in the proper light.Only what they wanted to.
    He will settle in well and he is there for the exact reason he was voted in to stand tall and to stand by Irish people.
    He will retire soon and hand over the reigns and i am for one happy he got in for his last years what a happy time it is for him and for Ireland.

I agree with everything there bar picking someone else to be singled out for 'their accent'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bitter

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Shouldnt everyone be judged on their actions, As you point out he has done great work and still does, why would that do sinn fein any harm?

Has only positive benefits as can be clearly seen from the recent election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bitter

What's your idea of doing great work for the peace process?

Anyway, I've said it before, Adams is ego-driven. He won't be going away without a fight.

And does he always have to stand beside Mary Lou MacDonald???

you gotta wonder about those two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I tuned into news reports today expecting to see and hear a group of homogeneous men in suits all with the same accent as myself. I'm sure you can imagine my horror when I saw some didn't have ties! Some had earings! One lad even wore a pink shirt!

However I was aghast when the TD from Belfast spoke. For some reason the man from west Belfast had a Belfast accent, who wudda thunk it?

Seriously, threads giving out about attire, and now accents? For gods sake.

Thats now politics...ties (or lack of) and accents! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

It's not his accent, his command of the Irish language is cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

i agree with you for the most part as you probably know from previous threads, but i have to say i liked ming in the dail today i thought he spoke well and wouldnt let the 'regulars' unearth him. speaking of 'regulars' i found it very irritating that the dail was silent when fg/lab/ff were making their speeches but as soon as sf and the rest were making theirs it sounded like someone talking in the corner of a crowded room.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Are you serious? Ireland is up to her elbows in debt, had a €20 billion deficit last year and, exlcuding the banks, will have incurred at least a €100 billion deficit between 2008-2013, has had to invite in the IMF to fund current expenditure, and it's somehow a happy time for the country?!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

All of the political activists in the North learned and speak perfect Irish. Gerry Adams is no exception....

That's bollocks. His Irish is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

All of the political activists in the North learned and speak perfect Irish. Gerry Adams is no exception.

It's not perfect. I've heard him say "ar fud an tír" whereas it is more usual to say "ar fud na tíre". It's the genitive case. But this whole thread is silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

That's bollocks. His Irish is poor.

Still better than the English in the OP. "cuts through me like a knife through butter" - wtf?

so what if his irish is poor if he gets his point across in irish or english job done yeah?

• Advertisement

Who cares if his Irish is bad, fair play to him for using it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Who cares if his Irish is bad, fair play to him for using it

I care.

I care because his use of Irish is a cheap stunt, and a disservice to the language. I put that sort of behaviour on a par with the use of the national flag as a party banner.

I noticed that Joe Higgins, Mícheal Martin, and Enda Kenny all used Irish in the Dáil yesterday, and it was evident that they were able to speak it properly. That's good: it affirms one component of our national identity.

That's good: it affirms one component of our national identity.

Thats why Adams uses Irish. Thats why so many IRA volunteers learnt Irish, thats why so many nationalists chose to do Irish today.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well he didn't have the blessing of our state education system! :D

I thought he got his Irish from when he was in prison? Irish classes and all that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

bitter wrote: »
    you gotta wonder about those two?

No, but if you want to spend your time fantasing about them thats fair enough

I care.

I care because his use of Irish is a cheap stunt, and a disservice to the language. I put that sort of behaviour on a par with the use of the national flag as a party banner.

I noticed that Joe Higgins, Mícheal Martin, and Enda Kenny all used Irish in the Dáil yesterday, and it was evident that they were able to speak it properly. That's good: it affirms one component of our national identity.

i would say it is a service to the language in that he is speaking it whether it be good or bad, any kind of promotion for the language is a good thing in my eyes.
    and as for enda kenny was it not him that wanted to make irish optional in schools, thats what i would call a diservice

I care.

Totally, lets go out and ban everyone who speaks irish the way you dont like.
    Anymore brilliant ideas?

M three wrote: »
    Totally, lets go out and ban everyone who speaks irish the way you dont like.
    Anymore brilliant ideas?

Offish topic..I was brought up in an Irish speaking family,but because my mother had Kerry Gaelteacht,I was beat into hating the way I spoke in school. My teacher was from Galway! I was born in Clare! It took me many many years to even attempt to utter a word of Irish for fear of being ridiculed,but Im getting back into it now. Tá mé ag dul ar ais ann.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

He still grates me as I'm reminded of his performance in the tv debate when he started off by saying that we need a new republic. I just think he is so out of tune for southern politics and Pearse Doherty is showing him up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Gusty spence can speak Irish better than him.

Advertisement