Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An invitation from Fish Bowl Gallery

• 10-03-2011 1:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I'm currently a member of the curation team for Fish Bowl Gallery.

This is an invitation to the photography forum to make a proposal for exhibition in the space of photographic works.

We are a non profit all ages collective arts space supporting new artists in any way we can. The entire space is run on donations and staffed by volunteers.

If you know anyone who might be interested in exhibiting any other type of art please send this info along.

For more information making a submission visit our site
    http://gallery.exchangedublin.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I'm a fair bit off having a collection of work to exhibit, but I just wanted to say I think what you're doing is freakin' awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Sebzy wrote: »
    This is an invitation to the photography forum to make a proposal for exhibition in the space of photographic works.

So is this of any interest folks?

We've had a number of exhibitions previously - one in Dublin Camera Club based on personal choice/works presented by members of the forum and Tallaght Library which was based on the book project the year before last (I think). These have been successful for all who've taken part and lets face it, with notable exceptions it isn't every day that most of us will have an opportunity of having work considered for an exhibition with others. It is a very proud moment for anyone to be involved with such a project.

Initial thought on Sebzy's kind invitation to this community -

perhaps it could be taken as one big community assignment along the lines that you commit to take part, you see the assignment, you have a month, 2 months, 6 months (or whatever is agreed - let's not rush it) to get your act into gear, and you finally present an agreed number of images for presentation to the curators of the gallery for final selection. ie. rather than simply churning out something you've taken in the past the pressure is on you to take something new and good before a deadline at some point in the future. It would be open to all participating members of the community to propose shots - the process would be valuable even if your final image was an "out take" and didn't make the exhibition. I think we could still organise an online gallery for everything submitted - a momento of the personal process for everyone taking part.

Ok, the above is off the top of my head and not particularly well thought through so it is open to all other suggestions, amendments, or counter ideas.

It would be a shame not to take the invitation at least to proposal stage with the curators of Fish Bowl.

Thoughts please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'd be interested anyway.
    Do it as 'boards.ie' photogrphers with no theme or have some kind of theme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

I'd definitely be interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Glad to see this being talked through, I would definitely be up for turning the suggestion into something. I suppose what you have proposed AnCatDubh would be one way of approaching it -
    one big community assignment along the lines that you commit to take part, you see the assignment, you have a month, 2 months, 6 months (or whatever is agreed - let's not rush it) to get your act into gear, and you finally present an agreed number of images for presentation to the curators of the gallery for final selection.

.. and this sounds really good to me, but I think it would be nice also to bring in the element of photowalks to it - get people out and about, mingle and discuss ideas. For those who are not based in Dublin or near a main regional centre (note the recent Cork/Limerick walks) then a virtual walk could also work - for example challenge is to visit an abandoned building/area and post results. Some can arrange to go in a group photowalk, others can go individually.

Or.. instead of theme - it could be categorised.. into say urban documentary shots, landscapes, portraits, sports, macro, abstract, fashion, travel, wildlife and then an unclassified open section. Leave it open - bit like the Boards book.

I'm rambling now.. but would like to see this project get legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Me too - if only for the focus it would give (competition season coming to an end in DCC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I've only been doing the photography thing a while so more than likely wouldn't submit anything. You never know though.

Anyway, whatever format you roll with, I suggest you take early measures to ensure quality control and fairness by putting a competition, voting system or judging panel in place.

This would not only ensure better quality, but would hopefully be fair and prevent any potential cronyism. What I mean is, if there is a good system in place, nobody can get their nose out of joint if their work doesn't make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Some random preliminary thoughts

I'm all for openness and transparency, but in my experience, 'art by committee' tends to favour the middle of the road. It's a tricky problem to overcome in a situation like this, unless of course the middle of the road is where we want to be!

Also, I've become interested lately in how pictures change depending on the context they're presented in. I like seeing a group of images by one photographer displayed together. This represents a bigger challenge to the photographer than producing one shot, and obviously reduces the number of individuals who can be accommodated, but might make for a more interesting project.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

There's no mention of when the gallery is available or for how long. I'm inclined to think along dakar's lines - a group of images from one or maybe two togs. I don't think a random collection of shots from a whole raft of different people would gel together as an exhibition.
    Getting back to how long the space is available, is it feasible to have one person exhibit per week say (or maybe two people) depending on the physical size of the space.
    Alternatively, maybe a group of boardsies interested in landscapes could put on a show of their work together while another group of say architectural or portrait togs could combine.
    Just some food for thought........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I agree that a "random selection of shots...." would not work but not with "from one or two togs" (cos I'd have no chance). How about a single unified theme with individual togs take on it - something like, "Ireland, down but not out!" - I can't stand all the gloom about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

There's no mention of when the gallery is available or for how long. I'm inclined to think along dakar's lines - a group of images from one or maybe two togs. I don't think a random collection of shots from a whole raft of different people would gel together as an exhibition.
    Getting back to how long the space is available, is it feasible to have one person exhibit per week say (or maybe two people) depending on the physical size of the space.
    Alternatively, maybe a group of boardsies interested in landscapes could put on a show of their work together while another group of say architectural or portrait togs could combine.
    Just some food for thought........

Well come up with a proposal and the gallery will allocate time if approved. Usual exhibitions run for 1 to 2 weeks. We schedule about 2 months in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Seb can you give us an idea of space in the gallery? And how many images it usually takes to fill it adequately? Obviously depends on the size, but an indication would be great. There's not much info on the site at the moment..

Actually, the whole space sounds very interesting. I might pop along to the next meeting. Email on the way.. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is this the place on curved street?

@magic - it's here I think? http://exchangedublin.ie/about Just made the connection :rolleyes: I'm a bit slow today..

Advertisement