Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council Estates

Options
  • 10-03-2011 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

I was wondering does anyone know how I could find out which estates in Galway City? Is there anywhere on the web I can get a list? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I would be surprised if it as straight forward to get a list. Some estates are
    • City Council built and managed
    • Private but managed by the City Council
    • Private and partially managed by City Council

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

sgthighway wrote: »
    I would be surprised if it as straight forward to get a list. Some estates are
    • City Council built and managed
    • Private but managed by the City Council
    • Private and partially managed by City Council

or Council owned by managed by a voluntary housing association

And sometimes it's not complete estates either: over time, as people buy their houses, estates become less council and more private.

OP, what are you wanting to know for?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Not forgetting many original council houses are now in private ownershop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

Thanks, I'm trying to find boarded up council houses(long story) and was hoping to narrow down my search instead of having to visit every estate. I don't have much knowledge of Galway so don't really know where to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 crofty28

HI noaddedsugar,

Rough guide to council estates in galway city, from my knowledge. I live on the east side so am more familiar with this side of town. & some estates are a mix of council & affordable, so take that into account when adding up ur figures.

East side: Castlepark, Sliabh Rua, Glenbaun, Ard Alainn, Sruthan Mhuirlinne, Coillte Mhuirlinn, Sliabh Bhan, Bothar Waithman, Mervue, Sean BAile, some parts of Roscam.

Westside: Camilaun pk, inishannagh Pk, Coogan pk, Currach Bui, Gaelcarrick pk, Corrib pk, Shantalla & there's more I can't think of....

City: Bohermore, Balinfoyle, some of the new estates on the Headford Rd.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks, I'm trying to find boarded up council houses(long story)

Welcome to Galway.

Are you looking for somewhere to squat?

If you're a journalist looking for a story, why pick on council houses only?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

Photojournalist?

Thanks Crofty that's just what I was looking for.
    I'm neither a journalist nor a squatter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Numbers111

Thanks Crofty that's just what I was looking for.
    I'm neither a journalist nor a squatter :)

just another one of those johnny come latelys who whisper mad stuff about where not to live. 20years on they realise 80% of Galway Citys population 30 years back is from council housing and they whispering in the wrong ears all along and wonder why they never settled in completely ...prats god knows where they came from themselves

• Advertisement

You talking about me Numbers? That's a pretty mad assumption considering you know nothing about me nor have I posted the very personal reason I wanted to find out? Me thinks you have issues but hey what ever keeps your imagination churning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Numbers111 wrote: »
    just another one of those johnny come latelys who whisper mad stuff about where not to live. 20years on they realise 80% of Galway Citys population 30 years back is from council housing and they whispering in the wrong ears all along and wonder why they never settled in completely ...prats god knows where they came from themselves

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

Are you somone looking for housing... I know an old couple who were years waiting for a house.. they lived in a very old house that was falling apart and paid rent. When there were a number of almost new boarded up council houses a stones throw from them. It took a year of battling by friends and neighbours and they were finally given one of the houses and got it re vamped by the council.

Its the only way to go IMO if you are on the never ending LIST.

Anyway back to topic, I know of quite a few boarded up houses in Ard Alainn and Sliabh Rua, Castle Park area, East Galway. All new enough houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Thanks, I'm trying to find boarded up council houses(long story) and was hoping to narrow down my search instead of having to visit every estate. I don't have much knowledge of Galway so don't really know where to start.

The OP is clearly Marlo Stanfield from The Wire!

sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

are you thinking of getting one of these houses - forget it - the council would rather they stay boarded up- you will be quicker buying your own - the "list" for these houses are ten to twelve years wait and even then you are not guaranteed.

Advertisement