Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GBA micro

• 10-03-2011 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭

Am looking at picking up a GBA micro off either Ebay or amazon but I'm a bit unsure about the screen size and prices.

is the screen too small to actualy be playable or is it ok and whats a reasonable price, they seem to vary a lot on line.

Cheers for any advice/input.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

They are a nice little unit, my hand does cramp up a bit as my hands are too big for it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

One of Nintendos best handhelds, definitely get one!

I wouldn't pay over €30 either. In fact, I'd wait for a standard ebay auction and try to get it under €25

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

eddhorse wrote: »
    They are a nice little unit, my hand does cramp up a bit as my hands are too big for it :(

Same, I find you can't play it for too long. Magnificent screen though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

They are lovely, but these days I'd prefer to emulate on a DS...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Am looking at picking up a GBA micro off either Ebay or amazon but I'm a bit unsure about the screen size and prices.

is the screen too small to actualy be playable or is it ok and whats a reasonable price, they seem to vary a lot on line.

Cheers for any advice/input.

Screen is 2 inches but it's the most amazing two inches ever!!
    It is so crisp and clear that after playing it when you see the GBA SP screen it looks like some sort of stoneage technology. also even sue to its small size all games can be clearly seen on it and reading text in games is easy due to the clarity of the screen.
    Price wise you should not pay more than €35 for a brand new one and €25 for a used one.
    The battery is magnificent and will last for a very long time between charges.
    Be careful thoug as the screws can work themselves loose especially if they were owned by kids.
    I have two of these amazing little handheld consoles and I absolutly love them I would never part with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anything text-heavy can be a chore but everything else is fine.

They're a really nice little piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Easily the best GBA!
    @sugarman: US gamestops do still sell them but it can be a pain to find one that actually has any. The US gamestop site lets you search for stores nearby that have what you're looking for, which is really handy and normally pretty accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

pdbhp wrote: »
    ? is 2 inches but it's the most amazing two inches ever!

Sounds like Retr0's tag line on a dating website :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

I was recently looking for a second one on ebay, basically I would like one for playing and one to put on the mantle piece. All the auctions end from 25sterling onward, depending on what games and accessories come with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

sengoku wrote: »
    I was recently looking for a second one on ebay, basically I would like one for playing and one to put on the mantle piece.
    :confused:
    It's hardly a Marble Madness II PCB or a gold NWC cart?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That is the strangest thing I have ever heard...
    Why on earth would you have a GBMicro on the mantle piece?
    I mean the thing belongs in your hand, with WarioWareInc installed.
    And if you can stretch to it, WarioWare Twisted as well, it's sweet!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And if you can stretch to it, WarioWare Twisted as well, it's sweet!

Don't forget Drilldozer! Actually I've never played that on a GB Micro, wonder how the little fella would tolerate the rumble feature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Didn't they remove GameBoy support from the micro though?

Didn't they remove GameBoy support from the micro though?

Yes, the Micro will only play GBA games and requires different link cables to the GBA SP but that is a small price to pay for an awesome console

Some pot head has put this up on fleabay here. I have to get me some of whatever he's taking:pac:

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    :confused:
    It's hardly a Marble Madness II PCB or a gold NWC cart?
    That is the strangest thing I have ever heard...
    Why on earth would you have a GBMicro on the mantle piece?

It was a metaphor. One to be used and another for the collection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Still, not good, just get one and look after it, perhaps get a few, rare mind you, replacement fascia for it in case of scratches.

I've 5 and counting... :P
    Some pot head has put this up on fleabay here. I have to get me some of whatever he's taking:pac:

In fairness it is a special edition one, not just a faceplate either. Hardly worth that unboxed though?!

Master of the Universe

I spent ages trying to get a replacement Famicom faceplate as the one on mine is quite scratched. Just not possible.

That Pokemon one really is lovely.

Still, not good, just get one and look after it, perhaps get a few, rare mind you, replacement fascia for it in case of scratches.

Noted. But I still have my heart set on getting a second on. They are not quite a robust piece of equipment. Especially in my hands, when I find myself in a frustrating scenario in a game, it eventually gets the better of me. We all know what happens next......... :mad: ...........then............:(........"sh!t I broke it". Anger management would be cheaper I suppose:rolleyes:.
    Some pot head has put this up on fleabay here. I have to get me some of whatever he's takingpacman.gif

Another pot smoker.

ghostchant wrote: »
    I've 5 and counting... tongue.gif

In fairness it is a special edition one, not just a faceplate either. Hardly worth that unboxed though?!

Its only worth what your willing to pay. That is crazy money though, I guess its only for the hardcore collectors only.

• Advertisement

Yes but as you said it's unboked, no manual, and slightly damaged... no thanks.

Another pot smoker.

Nice console though, would like to have one of them but at that price you'd be crazy to buy it

o1s1n wrote: »
    I spent ages trying to get a replacement Famicom faceplate as the one on mine is quite scratched. Just not possible.

That Pokemon one really is lovely.

As far as I know the famicom edition doesn't have a removable faceplate. Of course just because it's not meant to be removed doesn't mean it can't be. :) I haven't tried removing the one from mine, does yours come off?

The best way to protect a GBMicro is to use the provides fabric pouch that it comes with and to use a mobile phone screen protector cut to size, that should keep the front scratch free forever.

Here you go, the only GB Micro fascia I could find, and it comes with a load of other stuff, straps, car charger, screen protectors, not bad at all, and for around €22 or so, if you need them, go for it!
    Doesn't seem to be a huge amount of choice out there, could be a real challenge to change a scratched screen in years to come.

Master of the Universe

As far as I know the famicom edition doesn't have a removable faceplate. Of course just because it's not meant to be removed doesn't mean it can't be. :) I haven't tried removing the one from mine, does yours come off?

Ah I see. I've only seen the Famicom one in person and there was a tiny screw on the back, so I assumed that's how the faceplate came off on all GBMicros.

It's mainly just some of the gold around the edge that has worn off from being in someones pocket. The viewing area is fine :) I may try and get a bit of gold paint and just dab it on the worn areas. Might just work.

The best way to protect a GBMicro is to use the provides fabric pouch that it comes with and to use a mobile phone screen protector cut to size, that should keep the front scratch free forever.

Dealextreme had GBMicro screen protectors, but the last time I checked they were sold out unfortunately.

They also had a nice little armoured hard carry case for it. Thankfully they weren't sold out of them when I was looking.

Sorry, this particular halfwit forgot to post to the link I was talking about, I would say they are pretty essential and if you have a micro get them now, if I hadn't bought crap already when I said I wouldn't I'd buy them myself, then tell you about them!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerplay-Micro-Deluxe-Accessory-GameBoy/dp/B000BW3A7W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Id read the reviews if i was you :)

Just playing a bit of galaga at the moment .....sweet

Master of the Universe

eddhorse wrote: »
    Id read the reviews if i was you :)

:eek:

Everything in this pack is completely useless. The faceplates are rubbish, the power adapter un-needed, the headphones flismy, the "Leatherette" carry case cheap and tacky, and I couldn't even fit the micro in the Rubber skin case. In my honest opinion, this could be the worst accessory pack released. In fact, the only thing recommended is the cleaning cloth which I used for my DS. You're better off without it.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    :eek:

Everything in this pack is completely useless. The faceplates are rubbish, the power adapter un-needed, the headphones flismy, the "Leatherette" carry case cheap and tacky, and I couldn't even fit the micro in the Rubber skin case. In my honest opinion, this could be the worst accessory pack released. In fact, the only thing recommended is the cleaning cloth which I used for my DS. You're better off without it.

POW!!!! take that accessories.... in your face:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Another pot smoker.

STOP POSTING LINKS TO NICE THINGS!!! :(

Especially things which I can't afford. The Pokémon micros are quite rare seeing as they were only sold in the Pokémon centre in Tokyo. Also afaik the faceplates should come off all micros, just shove something in the two little holes on the side. The screw on the back/side is for the battery. Definitely get a micro, they're brilliant little machines! Picked one up in England a few years ago for about a tenner but it came with no charger. Then spotted a pink one on adverts with a charger a few weeks later for €15 so grabbed that. So just keep an eye out and you should be able to get one cheap enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Cheers all, great to hear everyone speak so highly of it, will defo pick one up, would E60 be too much for a Famicom edition from the US in peoples opinion? have seen them going for a lot more than that about the place. Think I might go for it regardless, they are pretty sweet looking.

Master of the Universe

Depends what the condition is really! Mine was around €45 delivered. But it's not exactly mint.

Says used but good as new, from an Amazon provider so a bit sight unseen. Don't need it to be mint really as I plan on actually playing it.

Also afaik the faceplates should come off all micros, just shove something in the two little holes on the side. The screw on the back/side is for the battery. Definitely get a micro, they're brilliant little machines! Picked one up in England a few years ago for about a tenner but it came with no charger. Then spotted a pink one on adverts with a charger a few weeks later for €15 so grabbed that. So just keep an eye out and you should be able to get one cheap enough.

Wasn't 100% sure about the famicom edition having a removable faceplate, but definitely remember reading that it couldn't be removed. My one lives in its box most of the time and I definitely don't want to force it! Micros came with faceplate removal adaptors, which my famicom one didn't come with (wasn't meant to, as it stated so in the manual...actually I'm almost certain that's where I read that it couldn't be removed...will check later)

Anyway you don't need one of those adaptor things, unfolding a paperclip to use on the holes works just as well.

• Advertisement

Interchangeable faceplates were never officially supported in Europe for some reason either. It wasn't mentioned in the manual and didn't come with the removal adaptors either. Never knew that about the Famicom micros!

Interchangeable faceplates were never officially supported in Europe for some reason either. It wasn't mentioned in the manual and didn't come with the removal adaptors either. Never knew that about the Famicom micros!

There's the very possible chance that I'm completely wrong of course :) will check later and report back

There's the very possible chance that I'm completely wrong of course :) will check later and report back

I'm not responsible if you break it! :P

If the manual tells me it can't be removed that'll be good enough for me :P

Enternow sees the words "no user serviceable parts contained within" as a challenge not to be shirked from!

• Advertisement

Enternow sees the words "no user serviceable parts contained within" as a challenge not to be shirked from!

He sees it as a direct order to user service parts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The amount of times I've smirked at "Qualified Service Personell Only" :D But regards faceplates on ltd edition stuff...I'd be leaving them well alone personally. They could be bonded on for all you know & will crack...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

damn this thread, i want a micro now.

Master of the Universe

Micros for everyone!

The Micro screen.
    It really shouldn't work.
    Its so small after all.
    But put a game in, any GBA game, and they look spectacular!
    The screen is so crisp, the contrast between darks and lights so defined.
    Text is easy to read, colours are brighter.
    I mean, owning one may not make you instantly more attractive to the opposite sex, nor immediately mark you as one of societies connoisseurs, but it really should you know.

weeder wrote: »
    damn this thread, i want a micro now.

Dooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttt!

I won't be mean and post links to lovely auctions with lovely micros :P

Dooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttt!

I won't be mean and post links to lovely auctions with lovely micros :P

Do as this man says.
    A Micro is a must for anyone, it's one of the best handhelds ever, just so easy to play games on it in dassling colours and crystal clear display:D

went ahead and got one on ebay for E33 delivered. Wont mention the colour! looking forward to getting my hands on it now.

went ahead and got one on ebay for E33 delivered. Wont mention the colour! looking forward to getting my hands on it now.

Yes pink it is so:D
    Get some face plates and change that puppy to a silver front, it'll look sweet then.

I think I might have an extra one in the house, a pink one too! The young fella used for a while but moved onto a DSlite. Might stick it on adverts and see what happens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement