Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler heating Radiators but not heating water in hot water tank.

• 10-03-2011 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey Ladies/Gents,

I was wondering if you could help me with a problem I'm having with boiler, I'm not very knowledgeable with plumbing, so hopefully I can prove the information you need to help. The symptom that I'm experiencing is that the when the heating is on the radiators will heat up but the water in the tank does not, the only way I can get the water to heat in the tank is switch on the immersion.

I have attached photos of the tank below what would you recommend for the next step in troubleshooting? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Regards
    Jimmy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Jimmy.Joe

A few more images attached.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

hi its most likely the blue box have way up the cylinder its a motorized valve there mite be a manual lever on it try moving that and then try the heating

jj build wrote: »
    hi its most likely the blue box have way up the cylinder its a motorized valve there mite be a manual lever on it try moving that and then try the heating

Thanks for the prompt response JJ, the lever was in the "auto" position (I assume it should be there as I think it was there before when it was working) I tried moving it back to the "manual" and was very stiff but moved and then back to "auto". The Lever then became loose and is moving more freely between the two settings I have the heating on at the moment so I should know shortly.

Should this be at the Manual or the Auto setting?

Looks like that fixed it, JJ you are a star! If I can ever help you with IT related stuff let me know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

your welcome ,it should be on auto for the heating clock to control it but manual means you have to control it they can get stuck most of the time you can get a replacement for the electronic part only ,if it ever packs in its just four screws and reconnection of the wires with the power off

• Advertisement

jj build wrote: »
    your welcome ,it should be on auto for the heating clock to control it but manual means you have to control it they can get stuck most of the time you can get a replacement for the electronic part only ,if it ever packs in its just four screws and reconnection of the wires with the power off

Sweet, I'll have to look into doing a basic plumbing course if there is such a thing around. Cheers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chefernan

Hi,
    I have the very same problem as jimmy joe heating/rads all working fine but not hot water. The hot tank is cold. Looks like I have a similar set up as shown in photos but I do have 3 levers on the pipes coming down from the attic.

Appreciate any advise as not knowledgeable in this area

Thanks
    Chefernan.

I can't comment on your setup but I had levers coming on the pipes too I believe they are just for prevent the flow of water much like a tap. I only had to flip the slide from Auto to Manual and from Manual back to Auto on the Motorised valve (blue box in the picture) to fix the problem. If that doesn't work for you then I would suggest opening a thread in this forum. There are far more knowledgable people on this forum that me when it comes to plumbing :) , sorry I couldn't be more help.

Advertisement