Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That Time of Year Again

• 10-03-2011 9:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Crufts!

More 4 covering it this year, from 7 - 9 pm Thursday to Sunday (inclusive).

Anyone heading over?

Anyone boycotting totally?

Opinions please :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Im going over, but not showing this year. Too expensive to get the boat so got flights for 30euro return:D
    Will be there to watch the rotties tomorrow and will be there Saturday too. My friends are showing both days so will be able to give them a hand as its a very busy day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I will watch it, see if I spot anyone I know.

I'm actually very impressed with the KC, there is a dalmatian being shown that has been outcrossed with pointer in her lineage to try and eradicate a certain genetic health problem in the breed. Some other dallie showers and breeders aren't happy, as they see it as a crossbreed, but the KC do seem to be doing what they said they would, and trying to improve the health of the breeds. If that means crossing with something, then it appears they will allow it.

So, I think with that stance, they should be supported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I'd love to be going over to watch the agility, a couple of people I know are competing but as usual I never arranged anything in time. I am going to the World Agility Open in Bristol in May though so excited about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

My parents are over showing one of our dogs while I stay home and look after the other 5. Going to watch it on tv and see if I can see anyone but I'd say because this is mum's first Crufts, she will have someone videoing the shelties for her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Looking forward to watching the coverage on tv :). Pleasantly surprised by this thead, I though it was going to be about unwanted kitten season :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Yep, I'll be watching, I have it SKY+ as I will be in work. Some of my Rottie's close relations have qualified so looking forward to see how they place.:)

ISDW wrote: »
    I'm actually very impressed with the KC, there is a dalmatian being shown that has been outcrossed with pointer in her lineage to try and eradicate a certain genetic health problem in the breed. Some other dallie showers and breeders aren't happy, as they see it as a crossbreed, but the KC do seem to be doing what they said they would, and trying to improve the health of the breeds. If that means crossing with something, then it appears they will allow it.

I was reading this too and thought it was a great idea. While I am all for protecting a breeds' breed standard it can't come at the expense of the dogs health. Such a little tweek in the Dalmatian's genetic make up has made such a big difference to the health of the gene pool without compromising the standard, an excellent way to go in my opinion :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1203753/Spot-difference-One-dalmatians-healthy-life-dog-lovers-furious.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I'm going to watch it on TV. I probably won't like everything I see, but it'll be interesting to see :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Pleasantly surprised by this thead, I though it was going to be about unwanted kitten season :rolleyes:

I thought that too actually! There's been a few tom cats prowling around recently, fighting my cats :rolleyes:

Looking forward to watching the coverage on tv :). Pleasantly surprised by this thead, I though it was going to be about unwanted kitten season :rolleyes:

Me too:D Aren't we all so predictable:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Come to think of it, around now (eh, spring) is a pretty dodgy time of year for pet owners - everything coming into season/heat, loads of unwanted litters, grass starting to grow like mad (and the bloody seeds :mad:), hot one minute then cold the next and lets not forget the shedding that is currently plaguing many of us! With every silver lining there is a big cloud :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Same here, or all the unwanted christmas presents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I'm going over on Saturday and staying for the night. I will watch some friends showing and do a bit of shopping:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

watched it on telly tonite. LOVE crufts so glad it is back on telly.

one thing though. i thought a couple yrs ago they brought in a rule that dogs couldn't have docked tails anymore? yet there were a number on tonight with docks?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKYn5Al83nE

My setter watching the agility at crufts earlier on, she only reacted to the agility, then she sat and watched her relatives in the gundog group being judged and then went outside to check her territory!:D

hdowney wrote: »
    one thing though. i thought a couple yrs ago they brought in a rule that dogs couldn't have docked tails anymore? yet there were a number on tonight with docks?!?

Dog who were legally docked before April 2007 can be shown at Crufts, so any dogs you saw being shown with a docked tail would have been 4 years old or older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I had planned to go over for the Hound and Terrier Day as for the past two years, combined with a rescue run and staying at a friend;s place who has the dubious honour of being the only person in the world to have three EGAR dogs (2 German Wirehaired Pointer and 1 Bracco Italiano).

Booked the ferry as per usual with Norfolk Line in January (Dublin - Liverpool), only to receive an email a few days ago to say that Norfolk has been taken over on all the Dublin - Liverpool crossings have been cancelled.

Money didn't show up until 2 days ago and now I cannot find a ferry crossing for the same price and will have to stay at home and AM FUMING!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

EGAR wrote: »
    I had planned to go over for the Hound and Terrier Day as for the past two years, combined with a rescue run and staying at a friend;s place who has the dubious honour of being the only person in the world to have three EGAR dogs (2 German Wirehaired Pointer and 1 Bracco Italiano).

Booked the ferry as per usual with Norfolk Line in January (Dublin - Liverpool), only to receive an email a few days ago to say that Norfolk has been taken over on all the Dublin - Liverpool crossings have been cancelled.

Money didn't show up until 2 days ago and now I cannot find a ferry crossing for the same price and will have to stay at home and AM FUMING!!

Very annoying. Ferry prices are crazy if you don't book on a special offer or off peak.
    On a separate note, who would have given up a Bracco Italiano? Georgeous gundogs, so powerful and athletic. I have a setter myself so love nothing more than seeing a gundog out enjoying his work in the field.

EGAR wrote: »

I would be fuming as well, thats terrible. Wonder whats going to happen with that crossing then, its a good one if you're doing lots of driving, really long, with dinner and a nice sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Permanently canceled according to Norfolk (they have been taken over by another ferry company...). The Belfast - Liverpool crossing is still sailing though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Quick

I predict a labradoodle for best in show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 quarry

Just back from Crufts and have posted a gallery at http://www.ohmydog.ie/crufts2011/photos.html.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

best in show - flat coated retriever
    reserve - petit basset griffon vendeen

there has to be more active threads on this.

just finished watching the last of the whole weekend of beauty and fun.

there was also a great programme after on more4 about the dangers of breeding intensively.

it is a thorny issue and i thought it was most excellent of more4 to have this programme straight after.

claire balding did bring the issue up in crufts coverage also.

Quick wrote: »
    I predict a labradoodle for best in show.
    that guy who bred the first labrador/poodle cross was on saying it was the sorriest thing he ever done. he opened a can of worms and he can't put the lid back on it.

I was there the last 3 days, was great. All my friends did very well, one even got 2nd in the working group, the Newfoundland, so was great to be there in at the Group judging to cheer them on:D

andreac wrote: »
    I was there the last 3 days, was great. All my friends did very well, one even got 2nd in the working group, the Newfoundland, so was great to be there in at the Group judging to cheer them on:D
    ah great stuff. must have been some buzz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

watched the best in show tonight. the german shep and fox terriers were a disgrace. the shepard couldnt even walk properly wit its gimpy hips,bacl legs were all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

the winner and reserve were healthy looking dogs though.

The Pet Bassett was actually my winner i thought, but both fabulous dogs. A great line up for BIS, the boxer was fab too.

• Advertisement

watched the best in show tonight. the german shep and fox terriers were a disgrace. the shepard couldnt even walk properly wit its gimpy hips,bacl legs were all over the place.

Em, what was wrong with the fox terrier?

Advertisement