Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That Time of Year Again

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

i disagree, i wasnt impressed with the bis at all. bar the winners i thought the rest were uninspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

its un naturally long head, working terriers dont have long heads like that. its an other exagerated breed trait that the show people have created. i know show terriers arent workers but the should look like they are capable of working.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Gutted I missed best in show, was watching every other night. My parents got back from Crufts this morning with our Sheltie who got 2nd in his class (yearling). So chuffed with him and it was their first Crufts too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

its un naturally long head, working terriers dont have long heads like that. its an other exagerated breed trait that the show people have created. i know show terriers arent workers but the should look like they are capable of working.

I don't know enough about terriers to have noticed that, but I did find it ironic that on Thursday they had a gun dog display (on the TV coverage) with working labradors. These dogs were fairly tall, slim and athletic looking, then the showing for the gun dog group was on, and the lab in it was a totally different shape, small, plump and whilst a lovely dog, really didn't look as if it could spend a day in the field working. In my opinion, the working dogs should set the breed standard.

Andreac, did you spend much money?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

andreac wrote: »
    I was there the last 3 days, was great. All my friends did very well, one even got 2nd in the working group, the Newfoundland, so was great to be there in at the Group judging to cheer them on:D

Fantastic! You must be so tired after it all. I'm sure the haul of doggie stuff is pretty cool too - very jealous! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thought that the GS looked a state with its roach back, but the Flatcoated Retriever was a lovely looking dog. That Petit Griffon wasn't two yet, and I saw a Shih Tzu that was only 10 months, is it usual for dogs to be placed so highly when they're not yet fully grown?

Thought that the programme after it was good, and said a lot of things that people needed to know, but again they focused too much on Pitbulls Are Evil rather than Idiot People Ruin Good Dogs. Yes they touched on "Some people want to see the people punished rather than the dog...", but it was with a hint of "Those misguided fools" imo. Would have liked to have seen them show Pitbulls as service and therapy dogs, really change people's idea of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

andreac wrote: »
    The Pet Bassett was actually my winner i thought, but both fabulous dogs. A great line up for BIS, the boxer was fab too.

I was rooting for the Petit Bassett as well, such a happy healthy dog and only 17 months old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

ISDW wrote: »
    I don't know enough about terriers to have noticed that, but I did find it ironic that on Thursday they had a gun dog display (on the TV coverage) with working labradors. These dogs were fairly tall, slim and athletic looking, then the showing for the gun dog group was on, and the lab in it was a totally different shape, small, plump and whilst a lovely dog, really didn't look as if it could spend a day in the field working. In my opinion, the working dogs should set the breed standard.

Andreac, did you spend much money?:D

I have a working Irish Setter, and the hunting variety are so far removed from the show dogs, ears, stance, height, coat.
    People comment on my girl and ask is she still a puppy because she is so much smaller and her coat isn't as feathered as the show breed. Plus the fact that she doesn't walk along with the regal walk of the show dogs, her nose is in the ground the whole time looking for a scent to follow.

Advertisement