Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live 8 problem

Options
  • 10-03-2011 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hey

I recently got the Novation launch pad which is prooving to be a pain in the arse as it's thrown up more problems than I was expecting.

The lastest is this - maybe someone could help.

It came with Live 8 Launch pad edition which I installed, I was previously working with Live 7.

Heres the problem:

In the Live 8 Devices folder - instrument rack - all the folders are empty
    In the Live 8 Library folder - Presets - Instruments - again all the folders are empty.

When I go back to Live 7 Live 8 looks like it has wiped all my live 7 folders and substitued them for it's own browser folder.

I'm thinking about uninsatlling Live 8 and The Launchpad altogether!!!

Help!

Thanks lads

Slam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

The same thing happened to me for reasons I really cannot understand! I think it maybe has something to do with there being multiple folders with the same name and it all just gets mixed up. Do a search for the preset folder on your computer, and find the one that actually has the correct presets in it which is what i did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭grandslamsmith

Thanks for that Standman, so I should search on the hard drive for the folders that have (seemingly) gone missing?

Slam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Yes do that. On my computer I had a few preset folders with no presets in them at all, I thought I'd lost them completely until I eventually came across the right one.

Standman wrote: »
    Yes do that. On my computer I had a few preset folders with no presets in them at all, I thought I'd lost them completely until I eventually came across the right one.

Nice one Brother - you may have saved my weekend!!

Slamington Witherly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

there is an update for live 7 that supports the launchpad, the version bundled with pad is cut down, limited to 8 scenes, so stay with 7 and log into live's update to get the patch for seven. this is all in the pdf that comes on the launchpad disc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I'm holding out on 7. There's only one new feature on 8 that I really like. The grouping and hiding stuff. I can't do it on 7 - if the feature is there I'd love to know how to work it.

I also had a feeling installing 8 over 7 would shazaam a lot stuff.

SUCCESSS!!!! BACK IN THE TRACK SUIT!!

In live 7 create a new library in the preference folder
    Delete the existing one - the one Live 8 LP edition installed

This process brings back the original Live 7 Library - everything back to normal!!

Just in case anyoen else has the same problem

Happy boy7!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Bit off topic, but just wondering what you boys actually use the Launchpad for? I bought one a while ago, and haven't found a huge amount of use for it. I imagine using it for Live stuff in session view obviously, but I mean for production, what can you use it for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Bit off topic, but just wondering what you boys actually use the Launchpad for? I bought one a while ago, and haven't found a huge amount of use for it. I imagine using it for Live stuff in session view obviously, but I mean for production, what can you use it for?

You can use the session view for creating tracks too. I think it might be better for creating a certain kind of techno. If you loaded the tracks with lots of different clips of hi-hats, sounds, kick patterns, and then tried to build the track live. You record the track while you're jamming with it. And fix any mistakes later and edit it down.

You can set the clips just to play once so you can have single hits and fills. It's a different approach and you might come up with ideas you wouldn't think of otherwise. You could split stuff you already have in clips and play around with it see if you can come up with radical remixes of it.

krd wrote: »
    You can use the session view for creating tracks too. I think it might be better for creating a certain kind of techno. If you loaded the tracks with lots of different clips of hi-hats, sounds, kick patterns, and then tried to build the track live. You record the track while you're jamming with it. And fix any mistakes later and edit it down.

You can set the clips just to play once so you can have single hits and fills. It's a different approach and you might come up with ideas you wouldn't think of otherwise. You could split stuff you already have in clips and play around with it see if you can come up with radical remixes of it.

Yeah I generally start tracks in session view, but I generally just build one scene, that being the track at its biggest point, so the launchpad doesn't really come in handy for that...I sometimes use it for drums, it maps itself automatically to the drum rack.

• Advertisement

I've started using it in to create full tracks from scratch. I play all the instruments - Bass, Guitar, Keys etc and build them into a general grove. I'll tehn record it into the arrangement using the LP to dictate what goes where and when. I also use it's mixing properties whcih I fidn handy.

To be brutally honest I think the LP is much more a DJ tool and comes into it's own as this.

Still it does come in handy (an expensive 'handy' though!!)

Slam

I've started using it in to create full tracks from scratch. I play all the instruments - Bass, Guitar, Keys etc and build them into a general grove. I'll tehn record it into the arrangement using the LP to dictate what goes where and when. I also use it's mixing properties whcih I fidn handy.

To be brutally honest I think the LP is much more a DJ tool and comes into it's own as this.

Still it does come in handy (an expensive 'handy' though!!)

Slam

Yeah, half thinking of selling it and picking up something I'd use more!

Advertisement