Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea for business in cavan

Options
  • 10-03-2011 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Myself and a business partner have an idea for a business in Cavan that we are considering getting off the ground . Its a solution to what we think may be a big problem but i just want to put it out there to see is it.

Is there anybody from the county who has suffered (or do you know anyone has suffered) from heating oil theft.

This is just a bit of market research im not looking for specifics i just want to know could there be a market for our business .

I dont think im breaking any rules by posting this

Regards

Bayles

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

I'd say that what you are considering is a business for the entire world. Perhaps you should contact one or two of the main tank manufacturers and discuss your idea with them. If its that good they may buy you out before you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Are you talking about locking up the Jolly green Giant in the back garden , That business wont fly unless you were to bury the dam thing and install a pump .

@ers used a fork lift , The fork lift was also stolen from the back of a truck to lift the whole tank away .

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭bayles

I know locking them doesnt work and to be honest you are not a million miles away from what we are proposing however certain factors need to be taken into concideration .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Sure they can just drill a hole in the tank and off the go. The harder it is too access the tank itself the better.

A tank alarm is another answer but will only be any use if your home when it's being robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

A tank alarm is another answer but will only be any use if your home when it's being robbed.

It also lets you know if have been robbed even if you are away.

Otherwise, half your tank could be taken and you might not notice for weeks or even months depending on oil usage.
    Even then, you might just think you had higher usage due to cold weather or ineffecient boiler.

If you are a thief, stealing part of the contents of several tanks may be far less obvious than ripping out someone's tank with a fork-lift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

True, so unless you case it in concrete there is no way too stop your oil from being stolen.

So youR alarm goes off and your a half hour from home.... Nothing you can really do now is there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

bayles wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Myself and a business partner have an idea for a business in Cavan that we are considering getting off the ground . Its a solution to what we think may be a big problem but i just want to put it out there to see is it.

Is there anybody from the county who has suffered (or do you know anyone has suffered) from heating oil theft.

Slightly late reply but it was rampant in certain parts of the county over Winter and a few acquaintances in Cavan / Monaghan were left with the bulk of their tank taken... I havnt heard of anyone having it done recently though.

Advertisement