Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

serious critique needed

Options
  • 10-03-2011 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Made my first serious attempt at digital colouring last night. Would love to get a serious critque on this.

rogue_final_colour_by_jonnytheorigin-d3bac2b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Oh and....whats a better way to do hair apart from blending it? If I want to show actual seperation of strands?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

looks decent for your first go! nice work.

for the hair, pic a colour tone that you like, I would zoom in select a narrow brush, and and set the pressure to about 70%percent,
    paint with flowing strokes in the direction you want the hair to flow (painted over your base colour)
    when you have the hair strands painted in, pick the dark/ light areas & use the dodge & burn tool as you need to.

also, ts worth looking at real hair photographs for a reference while painting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Oh and....whats a better way to do hair apart from blending it? If I want to show actual seperation of strands?
    Something to get you started... http://www.dazedgraphics.com/tutorials/skooldaze_hair_tutorial.htm

Loads more on Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

your a star thanks a million for that tut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Try redo the lines digitally too, that would be a good excercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭daedal

its good for a first attempt, i think you have potential.. but why didn't you get rid of the ugly artifacts!! marker splotches and scanner marks/paper gradient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Epoch

Your artwork would benefit greatly from having darker outlines. Right now the lines are getting lost in the colours and are somewhat obscured by them.

You clearly have an understanding as to how colour, light and shade works. What you lack is the understanding of applying that in digital art (which is fine, you did say it was your first proper attempt). What software did you use to colour it in? Did you use a mouse or a drawing tablet?

I personally would recommend using Photoshop or The Gimp (a free alternative) for beginner digital colouring. The programs themselves take a while to get used to but greatly pay off in the end. They certainly would be very good tools to use for a professional finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Great article on how to draw vectors. Would love to see you take this drawing to that level:
    http://www.istockphoto.com/article_view.php?ID=367

Advertisement