Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why Sir Alex?

• 10-03-2011 10:16am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone please tell me why Sky seem to forget he has a surname? Anytime he is mentioned its always "Sir Alex", most other managers are addressed by their surnames on SSN.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Melion wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me why Sky seem to forget he has a surname? Anytime he is mentioned its always "Sir Alex", most other managers are addressed by their surnames on SSN.

English people when they get titles from the queen are always referred to as Sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

dreamers75 wrote: »
    English people when they get titles from the queen are always referred to as Sir.

Alex Ferguson will be astounded to hear he's changed nationality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Why not call him Sir Alex Ferguson when referring to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Alex Ferguson will be astounded to hear he's changed nationality.

Oh right ...British titles from the english queen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭weiland79

Do the media call Bob Geldof 'Sir Bob'?
    I don't think so. Smacks of Sky media lick arsery.

• Advertisement

Why not call him Sir Alex Ferguson when referring to him?

I'm a "Republican" who is from the "Republic" of Ireland and as such and I don't recognise inbred, sectarian, anti-democratic, out-dated, discriminatory titles such as "Sir". :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I'm a "Republican" who is from the "Republic" of Ireland and as such and I don't recognise inbred, sectarian, anti-democratic, out-dated, discriminatory titles such as "Sir". :D

The out-dated, backwards thinking, childish forum is that way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Oh right ...British titles from the english queen ;)

I actually looked up "her" official title the other day and it's... "Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" though Newton Emerson had in the Irish Times yesterday as "Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the Seas Queen, Defender of the Faith". I note it includes Ireland so maybe she is my Queen as well!" ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bobby Robson was referred to as Sir Bobby when he was knighted so it is not just Alex Ferguson they refer to as sir...just the way it is in england..

Thanks for that... just giving you a few facts... everything I said was true but I'm out of this thread now - too much politics!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm about as bothered as Sir Alex no doubt is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

:eek:

+1.

Why is this in the soccer forum anyway :confused: Why Sir......WHY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sir is only for a knighthood not all titles. ie it's not "Sir " Steven Gerrard.

Irony?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

dahat wrote: »
    Bobby Robson was referred to as Sir Bobby when he was knighted so it is not just Alex Ferguson they refer to as sir...just the way it is in england..

This is true... When referring to a Knight you always use Sir followed by the first name, hence Sir Alex. The opposite is the case when referring to a Lord. If he was a Lord he would be referred to as Lord Ferguson.

Its not an example of Sky or any other media bias, its simply the correct way to speak of a Knight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

How? How? How? And how? They didn't put the knighthoods there for protestants to piss off catholics, it isn't there because the person receiving it hates the Irish or discriminates against any other culture, what's so anti-democratic about it, was Fergie involved in some sort of dictatorship campaign??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Nailz wrote: »
    How? How? How? And how? They didn't put the knighthoods there for protestants to piss off catholics, it isn't there because the person receiving it hates the Irish or discriminates against any other culture, what's so anti-democratic about it, was Fergie involved in some sort of dictatorship campaign??

Whats anti-democratic about a monarch for life handing out titles arbitrarily that confer privilige and improved legal status on the recipient?

Whats sectarian about a royal family that prohibit all non-anglicans from being monarch?

Are those serious questions?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

much like the pseudo republicism/nationalism you see bandied about these days eh?

Awesome thread, you must have gotten in just before x in the city started it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

It's a nick name.

101001 wrote: »
    This is true... When referring to a Knight you always use Sir followed by the first name, hence Sir Alex. The opposite is the case when referring to a Lord. If he was a Lord he would be referred to as Lord Ferguson.

Its not an example of Sky or any other media bias, its simply the correct way to speak of a Knight

You are from Cork. You should be doing no such thing.

Whatever about Sky, Irish people calling him Sir Alex, or SAF etc is plan bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Explain an Irishman raised Catholic getting a knightship? I'm talking about that tossbox Geldof.

If one provides a service and somewhat improves that sector in the state, I can't see why anybody can't get any state given award, in any country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sir Alex because that is his title.

Next question Please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Exactly, it's like Alan Sugar......He was Sir Alan and then Lord Sugar and was adressed as such!

Whatever about Sky, Irish people calling him Sir Alex, or SAF etc is plan bizarre.

Irish people gettign so worked up about what other Irish people do that doesnt affect anyone i smore bizaar.

Nailz wrote: »
    Explain an Irishman raised Catholic getting a knightship? I'm talking about that tossbox Geldof.

If one provides a service and somewhat improves that sector in the state, I can't see why anybody can't get any state given award, in any country.

It's only an issue if it's Irish people talkign about the British Monarchy. Someone getting an equivelant from the US or Spain etc wouldnt be an issue.

Irony?

What's the "irony" mate?

The British monarchy is sectarian, I am not. Do you or any of your "thankers" have the intelligence to debate this?

Look up the meaning of the word Republican.

Irish people gettign so worked up about what other Irish people do that doesnt affect anyone i smore bizaar.

I'm not worked up. Its just strange that Irish people would recognise foreign honorifics like that.

Says the guy getting worked up!!!

"irony?"

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I just call him ferguson if I want to be complimentary. I won't state the alternative names I use, but let's just say they don't include his honorific ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

I think people have taken the OP up wrong here. If I read it correctly he is asking why the Man Utd manager is referred to as Sir Alex and nor Sir Alex Ferguson. The issue isn't with his title, it's with the 'over familiarity' of the first name basis.

Exactly, it's like Alan Sugar......He was Sir Alan and then Lord Sugar and was adressed as such!

But there must have been more than one Sir Alan at the time. How do you differentiate between them?

I mean do you adress a letter to 'Sir Alan"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I like the way dalglish deals with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

When they say Sir Alex everyone knows who they are talking about. If you say Steve could be any auld steve. Fergie has been managing Utd longer than sky sports have even existed. Also you can only use 2 words on each manager Sir Alex Ferguson is 3.

But there must have been more than one Sir Alan at the time. How do you differentiate between them?

How to address a Knight Via a letter or Orally

Knight (of any order) Address the letter to Sir Alex Ferguson. The Salutation in the Letter is Sir or Sir Alex Ferguson. To address him Orally is Sir or Sir Alex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forms_of_address_in_the_United_Kingdom

Side Fact: Lords are defined by their area. Lord Sugar (there is actually only one) If there was more than one he would be Lord Sugar of (insert area name here)

Like this:

Dear Sir Alan,

Please keep your dogs on your side of the fence, they are worring my livestock.

Yours,

Lord Goat

• Advertisement

You seemed to take umbrage with my use of the word you. Maybe I should have said 'one should'. I was merely stating in a factual way why one would say Sir Alex, no opinion involved

Where Im from (which you got wildly wrong, its a location I'm in) and how I refer to people is my own business. I have a respect for other peoples cultures and their sense of propriety. This has NOTHING to do with where I am from but a respect for other human beings.

If I was to meet the President of the United States I wouldnt say 'craic Barack' I'd address him by his due title, Mr. President.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Saying Sir Alex Ferguson all the time takes longer than just saying Sir Alex. Sentences will just flow better when they say Sir Alex.

It is not is if we don't know who they are talking about. Who honestly watching any TV reference to Sir Alex has the following thought patterns: Story is about football. Story is about Manchester United. Story is about a mysterious Sir Alex, I wonder which Sir Alex they are talking about??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It also means we can type Slur Alex (not that I believe in such cheap shots)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

You seemed to take umbrage with my use of the word you. Maybe I should have said 'one should'. I was merely stating in a factual way why one would say Sir Alex, no opinion involved

Where Im from (which you got wildly wrong, its a location I'm in) and how I refer to people is my own business. I have a respect for other peoples cultures and their sense of propriety. This has NOTHING to do with where I am from but a respect for other human beings.

If I was to meet the President of the United States I wouldnt say 'craic Barack' I'd address him by his due title, Mr. President.

You were actually correct to use you as a pronoun since it was used in an informal forum. One is impersonal, and the use of the pronoun one always signifies formality. The Queen uses one as all her public pronouncements are formal given her title. It was also pretty clear from your post that you were using you as the second person plural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭secman

During a sqaud training session, when the players want to ask a question to the Gaffer, do they try to out stretch each other with raised arms and shout the loudest "Sir" Sir, Sir Sir Sir.sir sir sir sir si s............... didn't think so

Secman

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    During a sqaud training session, when the players want to ask a question to the Gaffer, do they try to out stretch each other with raised arms and shout the loudest "Sir" Sir, Sir Sir Sir.sir sir sir sir si s............... didn't think so

Secman

That actually happens.

Not Secman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

lordgoat wrote: »
    That actually happens.

Not Secman.

Unless Sir Bobby is also there. Then it just gets confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This 'Sir' business is just servient sh1te and if people want to use then that is up to them. It gets worse when the person actually insists that people use 'Sir' or other such servient sh1t. Alan Sugar being the prime example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

What's the "irony" mate?

The British monarchy is sectarian, I am not. Do you or any of your "thankers" have the intelligence to debate this?

Take that small minded ****e to politics,this is the soccer forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭jacool

secman wrote: »

Secman

Nobody questions Sir Alex!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

weiland79 wrote: »
    Do the media call Bob Geldof 'Sir Bob'?
    I don't think so. Smacks of Sky media lick arsery.

Not calling someone by their surname now means that sky have a pro-man utd agenda. Thanks for clearing that up for us.

What's the "irony" mate?

Of, relating to, or characteristic of a republic.
    Favoring a republic as the best form of government.
    Republican Of, relating to, characteristic of, or belonging to the Republican Party of the United States.

Ah excellent a republician, just like all those nice people over in the democratic republic of congo. A truly nice bunch on non-sectarians right, while they are busy not being sectarian they also like a bit of mass genocide.

Interestingly Iraq under Saddam was also considered a republic. There's also the Dominican Republic, that was under the control of this wonderful republician: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Trujillo death toll >50,000

you know what pisses me off more than sectarianism, fuc-king republicians, sorry people who bandy around words that they don't know the meaning of.
    Republic = label, a lot like any title these days really.

I can debate the **** out of this with you any time you'd like, but as pointed out it's a soccer forum.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Of, relating to, or characteristic of a republic.
    Favoring a republic as the best form of government.
    Republican Of, relating to, characteristic of, or belonging to the Republican Party of the United States.

Ah excellent a republician, just like all those nice people over in the democratic republic of congo. A truly nice bunch on non-sectarians right, while they are busy not being sectarian they also like a bit of mass genocide.

Interestingly Iraq under Saddam was also considered a republic. There's also the Dominican Republic, that was under the control of this wonderful republician: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Trujillo death toll >50,000

you know what pisses me off more than sectarianism, fuc-king republicians, sorry people who bandy around words that they don't know the meaning of.
    Republic = label, a lot like any title these days really.

I can debate the **** out of this with you any time you'd like, but as pointed out it's a soccer forum.

Mother of god, thats some drivel. Congo? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

in before the lock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭weiland79

Not calling someone by their surname now means that sky have a pro-man utd agenda. Thanks for clearing that up for us.

No not a Man Utd agenda just a ' we lurve you Sir Alex' agenda
    I meant that they refer to Bob Geldof as simply that, Bob Geldof no sir or madame before his name. Actually come to think of it the only refer to Bobby as Sir Bobby too, so maybe it's just the English/British 'Knights' that get called this in normal converstation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement