Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why Sir Alex?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

weiland79 wrote: »
    No not a Man Utd agenda just a ' we lurve you Sir Alex' agenda
    I meant that they refer to Bob Geldof as simply that, Bob Geldof no sir or madame before his name. Actually come to think of it the only refer to Bobby as Sir Bobby too, so maybe it's just the English/British 'Knights' that get called this in normal converstation.

They don't call him Sir Bob Geldof because he isn't a Sir.

Geldof is entitled to use the post-nominal letters "KBE", but as he is not a citizen of a Commonwealth realm, he is precluded from using the title "Sir". Regardless, the nickname 'Sir Bob' has stuck, and media reports will frequently (but erroneously) refer to him as 'Sir Bob Geldof' as if that were his correct title.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭weiland79

jaykay74 wrote: »
    They don't call him Sir Bob Geldof because he isn't a Sir.

Geldof is entitled to use the post-nominal letters "KBE", but as he is not a citizen of a Commonwealth realm, he is precluded from using the title "Sir". Regardless, the nickname 'Sir Bob' has stuck, and media reports will frequently (but erroneously) refer to him as 'Sir Bob Geldof' as if that were his correct title.

Cheers for clearing that up. I'll just get on with my day so.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Mother of god, thats some drivel. Congo? :confused:

Is it not a republic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo

Not a huge fan of wiki for facts but it has it's uses.

what other dirvel are you having trouble understanding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

lordgoat wrote: »
    Of, relating to, or characteristic of a republic.
    Favoring a republic as the best form of government.
    Republican Of, relating to, characteristic of, or belonging to the Republican Party of the United States.

Ah excellent a republician, just like all those nice people over in the democratic republic of congo. A truly nice bunch on non-sectarians right, while they are busy not being sectarian they also like a bit of mass genocide.

Interestingly Iraq under Saddam was also considered a republic. There's also the Dominican Republic, that was under the control of this wonderful republician: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Trujillo death toll >50,000

you know what pisses me off more than sectarianism, fuc-king republicians, sorry people who bandy around words that they don't know the meaning of.
    Republic = label, a lot like any title these days really.

I can debate the **** out of this with you any time you'd like, but as pointed out it's a soccer forum.

As a Mod is abusing me here I think I have the right to reply.

I'm sure I've no need to point out to you that millions of people have been killed over the years in the name of the monarchy that you're so touchy about defending.

Anyway deffo my last words on this thread - start a thread in politics if you think you're up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

lordgoat wrote: »
    Is it not a republic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo

Not a huge fan of wiki for facts but it has it's uses.

what other dirvel are you having trouble understanding?

This one, the Cork accent can be fierce sometimes :pac:

Derval+O%2527Rourke.jpg

I know it is Derval and that he meant drivel before any pedants start bashing their keys once they have stopped bashing something else :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

It's actually somewhat impressive how you managed to go that far off topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement