Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House robbed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

Sorry to hear about your loss.It never feels the same living in a house that you were in when it was robbed.I certainly couldnt live there anymore.

To set your mind at ease (a little), i really don't think you were cased before this robbery or at least it isn't a certainty. It just sounds like oppurtunism. The spare bedroom in your house is probably the only one with the curtains open at night and every other one occupied as a bedroom will have the curtains closed. If i was looking to rob a house, i'd go to the window with open curtains first. You can be sure that this person (or persons) spent a lot of time that night looking in every window to check there were no lights on, no tv's were on, which curtains were closed, was there a quiet point of entry etc before he made the decision to enter.

The fact that you bought your car 3 weeks ago doesn't mean that was why you were robbed. It's just a coincidence and you are seeing a pattern that isn't there (look up Apophenia). When someone is robbing a house, amongst going for possessions you can carry, they will almost always look for a set of car keys to increase their payload for the night. In a lot of cases, they won't even nick the car that night but keep the keys until another time where it is safer to nick it.

Before anyone suggests it; i am not a thief, never have been and don't plan on starting anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 teaglei

beagle001 wrote: »
    I was chatting to a friend of mine in the Gardai about this,we live up in Doughiska and it certainly brings it home when it happens locally.
    I won`t say what unit he works in but he told me that 2 cars were on surveillance Mon night between 10-2am in the Doughiska area and he reckons these guys had keys and may have left a window open to throw of the scent.
    Certain estates in Doughisak have a constant police presence and the Gardai know who is at what,if I were the OP I would be looking at things like could a workman have copied your keys or ex tenants keys.
    Burgalaries are usually opportunistic and for them to confidently enter your residens they must have been assured easy access.
    Feel really sorry for you and I am definitely keeping the hurley by my bedside locker as of now.

sorry for the delay, but i just wanted 2say thank you so much for your msg, i really did appricate it. i just feel like this happened to me but @d sametime i feel like im entirely out of the loop, i don't know what the guards are doing, insurance is a nytmare cuz i had the car 2wks & 5days & im convinced sumwhere seen me sumwhere considering we dnt live in an estate &our place is round the back, &trees r d whole way dwn d garden so u can't c ne evidence we r here unless u already know......but you reli did put my mind at ease i know it may sound bad but my head is goin crazy, i hav't reli heard 4om d guards r neting, like apart from sayin if they r on patrol they will see the car nothin else has been said & that lack of reassurance that neting is/has been done is reli reli playin on my head, i am know they are doin something but when i don't see it & nothing is being said to me whatsoever im reading into it think part of it is the natural paranoia that comes from an experience like this but still im driving myself mad

drum! wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your loss.It never feels the same living in a house that you were in when it was robbed.I certainly couldnt live there anymore.

To set your mind at ease (a little), i really don't think you were cased before this robbery or at least it isn't a certainty. It just sounds like oppurtunism. The spare bedroom in your house is probably the only one with the curtains open at night and every other one occupied as a bedroom will have the curtains closed. If i was looking to rob a house, i'd go to the window with open curtains first. You can be sure that this person (or persons) spent a lot of time that night looking in every window to check there were no lights on, no tv's were on, which curtains were closed, was there a quiet point of entry etc before he made the decision to enter.

The fact that you bought your car 3 weeks ago doesn't mean that was why you were robbed. It's just a coincidence and you are seeing a pattern that isn't there (look up Apophenia). When someone is robbing a house, amongst going for possessions you can carry, they will almost always look for a set of car keys to increase their payload for the night. In a lot of cases, they won't even nick the car that night but keep the keys until another time where it is safer to nick it.

Before anyone suggests it; i am not a thief, never have been and don't plan on starting anytime soon.

thank you for tryin to put my mind at ease but i am afraid it is very hard 4myself, my boyfriend, or my housemate to believe it was just a coincidence that they got my 2011 car, 2wks & 5days after i bought it!!! as for the spare bedroom windows...wel they wer closed that night my bf had been spraying a bicycle a different colour that evening & he had put it in that room with a heater on 4afew hours before bed until i had turned the heater off & i know the curtains were closed without a shadow of doubt althought i know other days i would be guilt of opening them ( the kitchen/living room ones were closed too until they opened them for whatever reason)
    & yea they took my bf's keys too & 2b honest we'd have been lucky if they took it but apparently no1 wants dat piece of crap, not even robbers :P

beagle001 wrote: »
    I was chatting to a friend of mine in the Gardai about this,we live up in Doughiska and it certainly brings it home when it happens locally.
    I won`t say what unit he works in but he told me that 2 cars were on surveillance Mon night between 10-2am in the Doughiska area and he reckons these guys had keys and may have left a window open to throw of the scent.
    Certain estates in Doughisak have a constant police presence and the Gardai know who is at what,if I were the OP I would be looking at things like could a workman have copied your keys or ex tenants keys.
    Burgalaries are usually opportunistic and for them to confidently enter your residens they must have been assured easy access.
    Feel really sorry for you and I am definitely keeping the hurley by my bedside locker as of now.

sorry for the delay, but i just wanted 2say thank you so much for your msg, i really did appricate it. i just feel like this happened to me but @d sametime i feel like im entirely out of the loop, i don't know what the guards are doing, insurance is a nytmare cuz i had the car 2wks & 5days & im convinced sumwhere seen me sumwhere considering we dnt live in an estate &our place is round the back, &trees r d whole way dwn d garden so u can't c ne evidence we r here unless u already know......but you reli did put my mind at ease i know it may sound bad but my head is goin crazy, i hav't reli heard 4om d guards r neting, like apart from sayin if they r on patrol they will see the car nothin else has been said & that lack of reassurance that neting is/has been done is reli reli playin on my head, i am know they are doin something but when i don't see it & nothing is being said to me whatsoever im reading into it think part of it is the natural paranoia that comes from an experience like this but still im driving myself mad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I'm so sorry to hear about your burglary. It's very traumatic. I just wanted to post to say thank you for posting this, I'm on a neighbourhood watch in the area and we'll be bringing it up at our next meeting

• Advertisement

Greaney wrote: »
    I'm so sorry to hear about your burglary. It's very traumatic. I just wanted to post to say thank you for posting this, I'm on a neighbourhood watch in the area and we'll be bringing it up at our next meeting

aw thank you, one thing i will say & i can't go into more details right now but i will at a later time, they are from galway whomever did this

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

that is a very frightening story to hear teaglei, it most definitely sounds like the work of professionals, I hope you find some sort of happy ending to this and that the persons involved are caught.

Advertisement