Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a Dell

Options
  • 10-03-2011 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

I have gotten my hands on a Dell Dimension with an Intel P4 3.2Ghz processor and 1 Gb of Ram.

What is the best angle of attack to upgrading this machine?

Could I just get an i3 or i5 processor and cooler and lash it in, or would it sit on the motherboard? Or would I be better getting something like this from Scan and then upgrading to Win7 64Bit?

I was thinking small changes over time, as opposed to throwing out a bigger wad of cash in one go.

Required for basic gaming, basic video editing and some hobby CAD.

This is on a budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

There's not a whole lot you can do. It's several generations old so the processor is fairly un-upgradable. Since it's a dell, you're not going to be able to replace the motherboard easily.
    One thing that you might be able to do is upgrade the RAM.

That bundle you have linked is over €400. You could build an entire computer for cheaper than you could upgrade your existing one.

If you want to get the most of it as it is, reinstall XP or whatever you have and save up for a better platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

could upgrade to a core 2 proc depending on the socket type of the motherboard and upgrade the ram also and maybe a new gpu depending on your psu as monotype said theres not alot you can do, despite it being afew generations old dell's have always been quite unupgradeable.
    but if you tell us what model it is we can still have a look to see what we can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Thanks guys,

Nah, I think I'll give it a good clean down with the air duster and the re-install windows.
    I'll pass it on to someone with more basic needs, will be a good enough machine.

Thanks.

Advertisement