Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neil Lennon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Maybe it was the Black Panthers or some group like that?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Maybe a false flag IRA operation? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

if SAF, harry redknapp or pretty much any EPL manager got sent bullets thats all we would hear about for weeks.
    ive been to scotland quite a bit (in fact im going for paddies day :D ) and have friends and family over there and there is this terrible undercurrent of nastiness with the whole celtic/rangers thing. even in places like Inverness and on the isles its talked about. about a year and a half ago i was talking to a guy in my hostel who was from glasgow and he told me then how there was major trouble brewing and how the recession wasnt helping one bit. guess he was right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Pauleta wrote: »
    OP, why did you start this thread? Was there something you wanted debated about the subject or did you just want everyone to agree with you and have a big Rangers bashing thread. Its the only reason i could possibly work out why the thread was even started :confused:

TBH while i am generally distrusting of ONYD's agenda when he posts anything, i also stand by him in the fact that this actually does deserve it's own thread.

If this was a manager of an English club, say Alex ferguson, or Kenny Dalgleish there would be a thread that had run for far longer than this by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Do you actually think theres a doubt about who they support?And yes two hoax bombs,nothing to worry about.Apart from being told to leave your house by the police in the middle of the night.

So any incident that happens to a manager is due to the fact of a rival clubs supporter(s)?

It's definitely something to worry about, nobody should be subjected to this crap, I hope everyone involved is found, arrested and convicted whether they be Rangers fans, Celtic fans, Preston North End fans, etc....
    Even if it wasn't Rangers fans, and it is worth acknowledging that there is no difinitive proof it was, its still fundamentally wrong.

Imagine the fuss if Alex Ferguson or Wenger had to put up with this?

Fundamentally wrong is a bit low key, it's a disgrace and nobody should have to deal with it.

I agree on the second point, if it against a manager of any "Big" club in Europe it would be over all the papers, and other media. I'd say things happen similarly in the likes of Eastern Europe, Russia, South America, etc... but it's never heard of too.
    So an Irish manager has received bullets in the post, death threats, has 24 hour security, has had to been removed three times from his house in the middle of the night due to imminent attacks (in the last couple of months), has been attacked on the streets and you're wondering why this thread was started???!!

...but remember we best not speak evil of Rangers fans in case we hurt their feelings eh?

Why mention he's Irish? Does that have any importance in your post? I'll say it for a third though, no matter who he is he shouldn't have to deal with that stuff.

Best not accuse fans of a certain club of doing anything wrong when there is no evidence tbh!
    I find that quite strange myself. As I said, if this happened in England there would be uproar. Happens outside England and its downplayed
    Eirebear wrote: »
    If this was a manager of an English club, say Alex ferguson, or Kenny Dalgleish there would be a thread that had run for far longer than this by now.

Already said it above, but +1 to the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

So any incident that happens to a manager is due to the fact of a rival clubs supporter(s)?

This argument is old and tired. The last time I heard it was when two 8 year olds were arguing!

"This incident was the handywork of Scooby Doo"

"OH!! So whenever something like this happens it's always Scooby Doo?"

:rolleyes:

Anyone with half a brain knows why this has happened, knows the motivation behind it.

Yes there are other possible explanations, other possible offenders, other possible motives! But it's as plain as the nose on your face as to why this has been happening to Neil Lennon.

Tell us, since you don't think this was the handywork of nasty bigotted football supporters, who do you think it was? What other explanations can you offer us?

Suprised that folk are saying attacks on him weren't sectarian.

Lennon's been abused and hospitaised in a sectarian attack in 2008 here

Bullets in the post sent in Jan from NI here

And of course his retirement from international football following death threats from the LVF here and here

It's a sad state of affairs that people get abused for what fúcking religion they are, especially when it's all make believe anyway.

Imo bigots are just highly ignorant and fairly braindead. Most of them probably don't even practice religion :confused:

The sad thing is, the decent Rangers (and Celtic) fans get lauded with the "bigot" tag because of the idiotic fans.

It would be sad for Lennon if he has to quit the job because of these thugs. He's doing ok it seems (not a follower of scottish football myself) That's obviously their aim though and with a family to worry about he might have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Before I say anything else in this thread let me point out that I think what has happened Neil Lennon and the people who have carried out such attacks are disgusting.

But at the same time, I can't help but think Lennon has attracted these scumbags with his own actions. Before people jump down my throat, that isn't the same thing as me saying he brought it on himself. But Tony Mowbray wasn't getting these attacks before him with the same venom, nor was Strachan before that, and if someone would like to make the case it is because of his green roots then I'd have to point out that nor did Martin O'Neill.

It is my opinion that between Neil Lennon and El Hadji Diouf the Old Firm has descended into complete chaos to the point where if it continues in the same way, people will start being murdered. We all know El Hadji Diouf is what he is, everyone knew about it before he joined Rangers, and presumably Rangers have just gone for a decent player on loan for 6 months with little regard for this.

Lennon has been equally provocative in his actions since coming as Celtic manager, and has drawn controversy after controversy onto himself since becoming manager, which he really couldn't afford to do given he was already a controversial figure as a player. Lennon has gotten involved in any row that was brought his way, every bit of controversy, and it isn't good for him, it isn't good for Celtic (look at the results after their 2 league wins against Rangers), and it isn't good for the city of Glasgow.

I don't condone any of the dirt that are acting in such a manner, but Neil Lennon needs to grow up and start acting in a manner befitting of such a high-pressure job and diffuse situations instead of inflaming them. The fans may love having such a passionate character but it certainly isn't a good thing. When Lennon learns to walk away from situations he'll make life alot easier for himself and will do a better job as Celtic manager. If he can't handle those sort of pressures he should go do a different job.

CSF wrote: »
    Before I say anything else in this thread let me point out that I think what has happened Neil Lennon and the people who have carried out such attacks are disgusting.

But at the same time, I can't help but think Lennon has attracted these scumbags with his own actions. Before people jump down my throat, that isn't the same thing as me saying he brought it on himself. But Tony Mowbray wasn't getting these attacks before him with the same venom, nor was Strachan before that, and if someone would like to make the case it is because of his green roots then I'd have to point out that nor did Martin O'Neill.

It is my opinion that between Neil Lennon and El Hadji Diouf the Old Firm has descended into complete chaos to the point where if it continues in the same way, people will start being murdered. We all know El Hadji Diouf is what he is, everyone knew about it before he joined Rangers, and presumably Rangers have just gone for a decent player on loan for 6 months with little regard for this.

Lennon has been equally provocative in his actions since coming as Celtic manager, and has drawn controversy after controversy onto himself since becoming manager, which he really couldn't afford to do given he was already a controversial figure as a player. Lennon has gotten involved in any row that was brought his way, every bit of controversy, and it isn't good for him, it isn't good for Celtic (look at the results after their 2 league wins against Rangers), and it isn't good for the city of Glasgow.

I don't condone any of the dirt that are acting in such a manner, but Neil Lennon needs to grow up and start acting in a manner befitting of such a high-pressure job and diffuse situations instead of inflaming them. The fans may love having such a passionate character but it certainly isn't a good thing. When Lennon learns to walk away from situations he'll make life alot easier for himself and will do a better job as Celtic manager. If he can't handle those sort of pressures he should go do a different job.

Lennon has been a target though for the past 10 years

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Lennon has been a target though for the past 10 years
    I know, all the more reason why he needed to keep himself out of the Celtic-Rangers antics and concentrate on the football. Better for himself and better for Celtic.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

I know, all the more reason why he needed to keep himself out of the Celtic-Rangers antics and concentrate on the football. Better for himself and better for Celtic.

It was always going to happen regardless of how he managed.What upsets the bigots is he's the manager of a successful Celtic side.

It was always going to happen regardless of how he managed.What upsets the bigots is he's the manager of a successful Celtic side.
    There still probably would have been scum granted. I don't think Rangers fans view him as manager of a successful Celtic side just yet, because I certainly don't. He has still won nothing and dropped more points in the league than Rangers so I'd hold judgement on that just yet. I think there may still have been trouble no matter what as there is a nasty element among the Rangers support, but I think Lennon has brought this to a whole new level with his actions, and may have genuinely endangered the life of himself and his family in doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

There still probably would have been scum granted. I don't think Rangers fans view him as manager of a successful Celtic side just yet, because I certainly don't. He has still won nothing and dropped more points in the league than Rangers so I'd hold judgement on that just yet. I think there may still have been trouble no matter what as there is a nasty element among the Rangers support, but I think Lennon has brought this to a whole new level with his actions, and may have genuinely endangered the life of himself and his family in doing so.

:confused:

What actions?

So, how many chickens have you got there fella?;)

ColeTrain wrote: »
    :confused:

What actions?
    I'm not even going to dignify that with a proper response, as you know exactly the kind of things I'm talking about.

• Advertisement

So, how many chickens have you got there fella?;)

Meant that we've got the upper hand on ye now,not that we've won anything.Think it was 3 times we've beaten ye this season,yes?:)
    Saying that it is fair to say he is the manager of a soon to be successful Celtic side.

Meant that we've got the upper hand on ye now,not that we've won anything.Think it was 3 times we've beaten ye this season,yes?:)

Yep, still havnt won a thing though. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Beating us has won you ziltch so far ;)

I'm not even going to dignify that with a proper response, as you know exactly the kind of things I'm talking about.

Have I missed something with Lennon because you said
    but I think Lennon has brought this to a whole new level with his actions

What are these actions that have endangered his families life's ?

You can't seriously be referring to speaking out against referees or having an argument with McCoist?

I'm waiting for you to tell me something about Lennon assaulting Ranger's fans on the street or snatching babies from prams to warrent hoax bombs and bullets in the post.

Yep, still havnt won a thing though. :p
    Beating us has won you ziltch so far ;)

I'm going to stop talking now in case this comes back to bite me in the hole!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Lennon is Northern Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

peabutler wrote: »

He has a choice.He clearly seems himself as an irishman!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Obviously wrong. I have to say, the suspensions coming up for Lennon can only be a good thing because at the end of the day, he needs to get out of the front pages and into the back. The whole antics on the touch line don't help manners.

major bill wrote: »
    He has a choice.He clearly seems himself as an irishman!!!

Does he, I wasn't aware which national passport he holds.

Does he, I wasn't aware which national passport he holds.

what does it matter anyway? stop been so ignorant.

major bill wrote: »
    what does it matter anyway? stop been so ignorant.

He has a choice so if he sees himself as Irish i'm sure he'd have an Irish passport or a dual one.

As for being Ignorant, where have I lacked knowledge or been generally unsophisticated ?

Have I missed something with Lennon because you said

What are these actions that have endangered his families life's ?

You can't seriously be referring to speaking out against referees or having an argument with McCoist?

I'm waiting for you to tell me something about Lennon assaulting Ranger's fans on the street or snatching babies from prams to warrent hoax bombs and bullets in the post.
    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you haven't properly read my posts as opposed to ignoring what I've said, because if you had you would clearly note that I've pointed out that his actions have led to the situation, not that his actions have deserved the situation.

Yes, which makes him Irish. As people have been saying all along!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you haven't properly read my posts as opposed to ignoring what I've said, because if you had you would clearly note that I've pointed out that his actions have led to the situation, not that his actions have deserved the situation.

and ColeTrain has asked which actions has led to the situation? I am interested to know as well

He has a choice so if he sees himself as Irish i'm sure he'd have an Irish passport or a dual one.

As for being Ignorant, where have I lacked knowledge or been generally unsophisticated ?

you contribute nothing to the thread just come on and state that he is Northern Irish ....you are been ignorant.!!!

lacked knowledge? its not a quiz

• Advertisement

From day one of joining the SPL over 10 years ago, the media, fans and the club have called him an Irishman. Maybe you know somehting they don't?

From day one of joining the SPL over 10 years ago, the media, fans and the club have called him an Irishman. Maybe you know somehting they don't?

He's from Northern ireland, which makes him Irish!

People from Northern Ireland are called Irish or Northern Irish. I don't see the problem or why it was even brought up?!?!?!

and ColeTrain has asked which actions has led to the situation? I am interested to know as well
    But you already do know exactly what I'm talking about. You're a Celtic fan, you know of all the controversy Lennon has been embroiled in. If you can't accept that putting himself in the limelight that much has brought the scumbags out after him, then that is just naive.

Nothing was made clear in your previous post which is why I questioned it.

If his actions have led to the situation I'm curious to know which ones.

Nothing was made clear in your previous post which is why I questioned it.

If his actions have led to the situation I'm curious to know which ones.

It's quite obvious he's bringing it on himself and it would be very insensitive of the poster to bring up the reason why........... but if it must be done

HE'S A GINGER!!!!!

There, I said it!

But you already do know exactly what I'm talking about. You're a Celtic fan, you know of all the controversy Lennon has been embroiled in. If you can't accept that putting himself in the limelight that much has brought the scumbags out after him, then that is just naive.

Is this join the dots? it would be much simpler if you just came out with what you mean

MrStuffins wrote: »
    It's quite obvious he's bringing it on himself and it would be very insensitive of the poster to bring up the reason why........... but if it must be done

HE'S A GINGER!!!!!

There, I said it!

Gingerism!

Gingerism!

I in no way condone the sending of bullets and hoax bombs to gingers or members of any other sub-species!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Its the way he behaves more than anything. Jumping up and down on the touch line, shouting at opposition players. It just boils the blood.

• Advertisement

Is this join the dots? it would be much simpler if you just came out with what you mean
    Ok then, I'll humour you. The numerous incidents with referees, the incident with Ally McCoist, the incident with Kyle Lafferty, the incident with El Hadji Diouf. You may or may not view him as right or wrong in these instances, but regardless of this, Lennon would have done himself a much greater justice staying out of the controversy altogether. He lets the temper get the run of him far too much.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Its the way he behaves more than anything. Jumping up and down on the touch line, shouting at opposition players. It just boils the blood.

I'm sorry, but did you just describe Neil Lennon or every football manager who has ever existed?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but did you just describe Neil Lennon or every football manager who has ever existed?
    I very rarely see football managers getting up in opposition players faces a fraction of the amount Lennon does.

I very rarely see football managers getting up in opposition players faces a fraction of the amount Lennon does.

He said jumping up and down on the touchline and shouting at players............ QUICK, SOMEONE THREATEN TO KILL THAT MAN'S CHILDREN!!

Looks like there is a lot of hatred for Lennon on here too.

Lennon has not been in charge for a year yet you reckon he's the worst offender. Can't remember him confronting players much either, Diouf aside.

He's passionate on the touch line and speaks his mind to a certain degree after the games. Hardly unique traits for a football manager.

Neil Lennon's sole crime is that he's a Irish Catholic who loves Celtic and is passionate about the club. It's his religion and background that has made him a target for bigots in Glasgow.

Before he became manager he was assaulted on the street in Glasgow, two years ago. It's not like he became a hate figure overnight after an interview where he had a go at a referee or an altercation with Diouf. Lennon was always hated, the trend is just continuing and getting worse.

• Advertisement

KeithAFC wrote: »

Could you not of thought of something better than that?

Lennon has not been in charge for a year yet you reckon he's the worst offender. Can't remember him confronting players much either, Diouf aside.

He's passionate on the touch line and speaks his mind to a certain degree after the games. Hardly unique traits for a football manager.

Neil Lennon's sole crime is that he's a Irish Catholic who loves Celtic and is passionate about the club. It's his religion and background that has made him a target for bigots in Glasgow.

Before he became manager he was assaulted on the street in Glasgow, two years ago. It's not like he became a hate figure overnight after an interview where he had a go at a referee or an altercation with Diouf. Lennon was always hated, the trend is just continuing and getting worse.
    Martin O'Neill ticked those boxes too. He kept himself out of trouble. The trend is getting worse because Lennon is constantly involving himself in controversy. If he got on with his job things wouldn't be getting worse, to the stage they are. He'd still be a hate figure, but he wouldn't be under 24 hour police protection.

Martin O'Neill ticked those boxes too. He kept himself out of trouble. The trend is getting worse because Lennon is constantly involving himself in controversy. If he got on with his job things wouldn't be getting worse, to the stage they are. He'd still be a hate figure, but he wouldn't be under 24 hour police protection.

He was embroiled in controversy as player, getting sent off against Rangers etc How can you say he's doing any worse as manager, if anything he has cooled it down.

The reason it's getting worse is because he's winning games against Rangers and it's his team, he's not part of a starting eleven but actually taking credit for beating Rangers.

It will get worse for him if he manages to win a few trophies, not because of his 'actions' but because some Rangers fan won't be able to handle the sight of Lennon making a success of himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Like when???

...and don't give me diouf as an example as he entered the technical area after throwing his shoulder into the Celtic physio... but that's probably Lenny's fault too.

He was embroiled in controversy as player, getting sent off against Rangers etc How can you say he's doing any worse as manager, if anything he has cooled it down.

The reason it's getting worse is because he's winning games against Rangers and it's his team, he's not part of a starting eleven but actually taking credit for beating Rangers.

It will get worse for him if he manages to win a few trophies, not because of his 'actions' but because some Rangers fan won't be able to handle the sight of Lennon making a success of himself.
    There probably is some of what you say in there, but he has fuelled things big time and has allowed his players to do the same, Scott Brown the main example. Celtic need to focus their energies solely on the pitch.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement