Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neil Lennon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

CSF wrote: »
    There probably is some of what you say in there, but he has fuelled things big time and has allowed his players to do the same, Scott Brown the main example. Celtic need to focus their energies solely on the pitch.

He's has fueled nothing. He has not backed down if that's what you mean. Rightly so too, either he is Celtic manager or not. That's what managers do, they stick up for their team and fight for them. Celtic would win nothing if they had the attitude that we previously had seen under Tony Mowbray.

I don't know if you watched the last derby game but Celtic were kicked up and down the pitch and Rangers received three red cards. There was only one team trying to play football and that was Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Meanwhile the Daily Record has printed one if the worst headlines I've ever seen.

After death threats, hoax nail bombs, bullets in the post, being moved to safe houses in the middle of the night, having 24 hour security etc... The Daily Record decide to fan the flames of hatred even more with the following headline:

"Coisty: Blame Lennon"

What a disgusting low life newspaper that it.

And to think some on here somehow think Lenny is to blame - shame on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Looks like there is a lot of hatred for Lennon on here too.

Myabe it was boards.ie posters who set up those hoaxes and not Rangers fans :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Meanwhile the Daily Record has printed one if the worst headlines I've ever seen.

After death threats, hoax nail bombs, bullets in the post, being moved to safe houses in the middle of the night, having 24 hour security etc... The Daily Record decide to fan the flames of hatred even more with the following headline:

Sports Journalism in Scotland is of a shocking standard. The choice of headlines and the wording of articles based on what they are quoting is often childish & bias and laced with personal vendettas. Daily Record is top of the class for that sort of shíte and they try to pass it off as objective journalism.

Again, when it comes to anything relating to Scottish Football, this forum is full of ignorance, pay no attention to them.

The difference between him and O'Neill is he played for the club and a highly decorated player and captain, now manager. If these people have to resort to anti-social behaviour/assault/death threats because of the fact that he's been a successful player for Celtic and has all the hallmarks of being a successful manager then they should be banned from football grounds, told to sign in at cop shops during kick off of old firm matches or preferably be in jail.

Its pathetic that some are trying to turn this around on Neil Lennon because he likes to 'GIRFUY' when he wins. Once again the PC brigade would like the winners not to upset the losers with their celebrations, they might not be able to handle it....:rolleyes: The world has truly gone soft when people try to make excuses for threats of violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I'm sitting listening to a bunch of politicians, on a UK wide broadcast show, describe football violence as a "Peculiarly scottish problem".

in a week where the two football clubs have become a scapegoat for everything wrong with scottish society, talk of arresting players and managers if they step out of line during the game etc - yet the ****ing gutter media keep this pish going over a week later?

Do they not realise how much influence rags like the record have in scottish society? its a ****ing joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

In fairness to Lennon he doesn't help himself. In no-way do I condone any of the stuff which has happened to him but I can't help but feel he could tone it down a bit. It's like watching a crazy fan in charge of the football team. Sure he's a passionate man but he's not on the terrace's. There is obviously some crazy people out there who really hate him. He get's on my goat & I've seen very little of him. I just hope him & his family will be ok

Eirebear wrote: »
    I'm sitting listening to a bunch of politicians, on a UK wide broadcast show, describe football violence as a "Peculiarly scottish problem".

in a week where the two football clubs have become a scapegoat for everything wrong with scottish society, talk of arresting players and managers if they step out of line during the game etc - yet the ****ing gutter media keep this pish going over a week later?

Do they not realise how much influence rags like the record have in scottish society? its a ****ing joke.

The standard of the media is one of the root problems, I've seen alot of what can be only described as childish +1 journalism. They are feeding the mindset to sell their rags.

All you are getting is posturing, where are the people that will talk common sense? Probably gone working in England because they want to be proper journalists, sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

What did McCoist actually say?

Dempsey wrote: »
    The standard of the media is one of the root problems, I've seen alot of what can be only described as childish +1 journalism. They are feeding the mindset to sell their rags.

All you are getting is posturing, where are the people that will talk common sense? Probably gone working in England because they want to be proper journalists, sad but true.

I wouldnt go that far dude, the English press are every bit as bad.

I'm actually stunned to hear David Dimbleby even ask the question regarding wether football violence only exists in Scotland, let alone hear the guy actually answer it with what amounted to a yes!

Remember this is the press who reportedly agreed to a request by the premiership and the FA, to keep any reports of violence to a minimum as it might hurt the World Cup bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Yep, just watched QT there and they were describing the game as full of violence. I know it is over a week since and I am 41 in 3 months but I can't seem to remember the game with that kind of language. I remember a load of yellow cards (no different to a lot of games) and some heated verbal exchanges between Lennon and McCoist.

This has been taken out of all proportion and the media are whipping up the temperature even more. They should hold a summit on the medias handling of all things Celtic and Rangers. They will probably find that the media do not give a hoot what consequences follow thier actions and they are just interested in making money from it all.

• Advertisement

Yep, just watched QT there and they were describing the game as full of violence. I know it is over a week since and I am 41 in 3 months but I can't seem to remember the game with that kind of language. I remember a load of yellow cards (no different to a lot of games) and some heated verbal exchanges between Lennon and McCoist.

This has been taken out of all proportion and the media are whipping up the temperature even more. They should hold a summit on the medias handling of all things Celtic and Rangers. They will probably find that the media do not give a hoot what consequences follow thier actions and they are just interested in making money from it all.

Yup.

Put it this way, when you switch on the telly for the build up to the League Cup Final - what will the language be like?

My bets are it will be full of aggressive language, words like "Battle" and "Clash" illustrated by montages showing players getting wound up with each other, hard tackles, probably McCoist and Lennon having a go.

Entertaining? Yes. Hypocritical? Definetly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

What did McCoist actually say?

Ally McCoist insists he will make no apology for defending his players after being hit with a two-match ban by the Scottish Football Association.

The Rangers assistant manager - who will take over the helm from Walter Smith in the summer - was handed the punishment on Thursday after clashing with Celtic boss Neil Lennon after last Wednesday's Old Firm derby.

The Ibrox club claimed in a statement the day after the Scottish Cup tie that the explosive events were sparked by the treatment of some of their players in a previous meeting with Celtic at Ibrox.

Speaking on Thursday night, as Rangers claimed a goalless draw against PSV Eindhoven in the last 16 of the Europa League, McCoist said: "I felt I and the club had drawn a line under this issue last week.

"When I left the Celtic manager's room after a bottle of beer with Neil I felt that it was finished.

"But, to be honest, in the last 24-48 hours I think there has been comment and commentary which I feel I have to put my side of events over.

"We as a coaching staff - and indeed some of the officials, not just on Wednesday but on previous occasions - had heard some of our players subject to verbal abuse. We felt that it was wrong.

"And I make absolutely no apology at all to the fact - whether it's Kyle Lafferty, El-Hadji Diouf or Stevie Naismith - I would defend those players in a case like that. I make no apology.

"As Neil and I were shaking hands at the end of the game I mentioned this to him. We then discussed the matter after that like two adults. We shared a bottle of beer and a glass of wine."

McCoist and Lennon were both charged with misconduct by the SFA for their part in the volatile fifth round replay, which Celtic won 1-0, and the Hoops boss was given a four-match touchline ban.

McCoist added: "As far as I was concerned the issue was finished. That's what happened and that's all I have to say on the matter.

"That's definitely a line drawn under it for me. Neil and myself would like to move on. If mistakes were made then hopefully we can learn from them."

An SFA statement read: "The Scottish FA can confirm that Neil Lennon, the Celtic manager, and Ally McCoist, the Rangers assistant manager, have been charged with misconduct relating to the Scottish Cup fifth-round replay.

"Mr Lennon will incur an automatic four-match suspension from the technical area, owing to a previous charge of misconduct, while Mr McCoist will incur a two-match suspension. These will be effective from March 16, 2011.

"In addition, the Rangers players, El-Hadji Diouf and Madjid Bougherra, have been informed that they will be reported to the Disciplinary Committee for misconduct of a significantly serious nature. These will be considered at the committee's next meeting, on April 12."

http://football365.co.uk/story/0,17033,8652_6806515,00.html

Whats funny about the whole thing is that he says that he spoke with Neil about it and its sorted between them two now. But the papers are still dragging that on. I see nothing in that where he says " Blame Lennon".

Paper never refused ink and all that jazz...

DrumSteve wrote: »
    http://football365.co.uk/story/0,17033,8652_6806515,00.html

Whats funny about the whole thing is that he says that he spoke with Neil about it and its sorted between them two now. But the papers are still dragging that on. I see nothing in that where he says " Blame Lennon".

Paper never refused ink and all that jazz...

Typical gutter press.

In fact i would suggest that Ally is having a wee dig at the media handling of it all, rather than Lennon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

ColeTrain wrote: »
    He's has fueled nothing. He has not backed down if that's what you mean. Rightly so too, either he is Celtic manager or not. That's what managers do, they stick up for their team and fight for them. Celtic would win nothing if they had the attitude that we previously had seen under Tony Mowbray.

I don't know if you watched the last derby game but Celtic were kicked up and down the pitch and Rangers received three red cards. There was only one team trying to play football and that was Celtic.
    He might not win anything anyway (which is what i predict) but that isn't the point.

The way Lennon behaved in the Diouf incident was a disgrace and then he expects Ally to shake his hand and be buddies. Good one Lennon. :rolleyes:

Typical gutter press.

In fact i would suggest that Ally is having a wee dig at the media handling of it all, rather than Lennon.

That's what I read in it alright particularly when he said:
    As Neil and I were shaking hands at the end of the game I mentioned this to him. We then discussed the matter after that like two adults. We shared a bottle of beer and a glass of wine."

The media up there do not care once they sell copy. I personally don't think they will be happy until someone is killed.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    He might not win anything anyway (which is what i predict) but that isn't the point.

The way Lennon behaved in the Diouf incident was a disgrace and then he expects Ally to shake his hand and be buddies. Good one Lennon. :rolleyes:

It was also a disgrace the way Diouf elbowed the team doctor and didn't McCoist say to Lennon first "I'll rip your fcukin head off".Yet you think it was Lennon who was a disgrace.

It was also a disgrace the way Diouf elbowed the team doctor and didn't McCoist say to Lennon first "I'll rip your fcukin head off".Yet you think it was Lennon who was a disgrace.

lol - did he?

I love the way people believe the papers when it suits their argument.

How do you know what Ally said? Its not been verified what he said. I think in general it was a disgrace.

How do you know what Ally said? Its not been verified what he said. I think in general it was a disgrace.

TBF if he actually had of said that to Lennon would he have had a drink with him in his office after the game?

Sounds like some bollocks made up by the papers.

It was just two managers standing up for their players and blown out of proportion.

• Advertisement

Well whatever he said it pissed off Neil.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    TBF if he actually had of said that to Lennon would he have had a drink with him in his office after the game?

Sounds like some bollocks made up by the papers.

It was just two managers standing up for their players and blown out of proportion.

Shhhhh!

Your common sense and logic has no place in these parts!

Shhhhh!

Your common sense and logic has no place in these parts!

I will exit this thread amicably so. :D

TBH I've no time for Celtic or Rangers but it pisses me off when I people just wanting something to happen so they can have a go.

They had a few words and it got blown out of proportion. Big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Its the way he behaves more than anything. Jumping up and down on the touch line, shouting at opposition players. It just boils the blood.

And that justifies it? Grow up...

And that justifies it? Grow up...
    Why do people do that? How did what i post justifie it? Its an observation and why he brings a lot of trouble onto his shoulders.

Why do people do that? How did what i post justifie it? Its an observation and why he brings a lot of trouble onto his shoulders.

Well blessing yourself earned Boruc a police warning because Rangers fans couldnt handle it, seems like alot of Rangers fans are just intolerant to what other people do. Those people that are intolerant are the problem, nobody else.

• Advertisement

Well blessing yourself earned Boruc a police warning because Rangers fans couldnt handle it, seems like alot of Rangers fans are just intolerant to what other people do. Those people that are intolerant are the problem, nobody else.
    Boruc liked winding people up. We all seen that with the pope T shirt and all that nonsense. He liked to wind the Rangers fans up.

Boruc liked winding people up. We all seen that with the pope T shirt and all that nonsense. He liked to wind the Rangers fans up.

the pope on a shirt winds up Rangers supporters?

Pathetic reason to get wound up, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Mate Boruc was not given the Police warning for blessing himself but the hand gestures he made afterwards

Mate Boruc was not given the Police warning for blessing himself but the hand gestures he made afterwards

They reacted to him blessing himself first

Why would Boruc wearing a t-shirt with a picture of the Pope on it wind you up?

• Advertisement

Just read McCoist's quotes in the Record...

Holy Jesus he says absolutely nothing wrong in it - how the hell did the Daily Record get such a sensationalist bullsh1t headline from his words???

Celtic should break all ties with that paper as a result of that headline whose only purpose is to be incenduary and inflammatory.

They reacted to him blessing himself first

He still got the warning for his hand gestures.

I think its pathetic that anyone would take offence at someone blessing themselves but for example when Boruc "proudly" went about showing off his Pope T-Shirt I did wonder two myself what some Celtic supporters reaction would have been if for example Lafferty was to take his shirt off and have one of the Queen or dare I say it King Billy
    The man at times went out of his way to get a reaction from the morons in our support and it worked

And rape victims shouldn't have worn mini-skirts I suppose...?

Blaming the victim is a dangerous game.

He still got the warning for his hand gestures.

I think its pathetic that anyone would take offence at someone blessing themselves but for example when Boruc "proudly" went about showing off his Pope T-Shirt I did wonder two myself what some Celtic supporters reaction would have been if for example Lafferty was to take his shirt off and have one of the Queen or dare I say it King Billy
    The man at times went out of his way to get a reaction from the morons in our support and it worked

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/5292656.stm
    The Crown Office issued a statement on Saturday in which it said its decision was taken "based on an assessment of behaviour, not one single act, which appeared to be directed towards the crowd".

It said he had "provoked alarm and crowd trouble" which constituted a breach of the peace.

Strathclyde police are lazy, it was easier to single out Boruc than all the idiots in the crowd. The reaction from the crowd to him blessing himself was part of the reason he got the warning, the Crown Office stated that, not me.

Why would Boruc wearing a t-shirt with a picture of the Pope on it wind you up?
    You accept a T shirt with Hitler on it?
    And rape victims shouldn't have worn mini-skirts I suppose...?

Blaming the victim is a dangerous game.
    He wore a t shirt with an evil man on it to wind up a support base which hates the pope.

He wore a t shirt with an evil man on it to wind up a support base which hates the pope.

Are you equating the Pope to Hitler?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

You would think that a section of the Rangers fans wouldn't mind too much a picture of the current pope on t-shirts, they are after all fond of the old straight arm salute.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Are you equating the Pope to Hitler?

Well, both of them are Nazi's :pac:

Your intolerance has no bounds

Your intolerance has no bounds
    Its true and you know it. Ask the question in AH and many people would agree with me about the pope.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Its true and you know it. Ask the question in AH and many people would agree with me about the pope.

It's true that your intolerance knows no bounds?

karma_ wrote: »
    It's true that your intolerance knows no bounds?
    Tolerant of the pope? You must be joking.

That is why so many people got annoyed with Boruc and the T shirt because people hate the pope.

You are an embarrassment to your club, its intolerant small minded fans like you that the likes of Eirebear and Broxi complain about dragging the clubs reputation through the mud.

Its pretty pathetic that you think AH sets the social standards about tolerance towards religion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/5292656.stm

Strathclyde police are lazy, it was easier to single out Boruc than all the idiots in the crowd. The reaction from the crowd to him blessing himself was part of the reason he got the warning, the Crown Office stated that, not me.

Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc was cautioned for inciting an Old Firm crowd rather than for blessing himself, the Crown Office has stressed.

But the Crown Office stressed it would not take action against individuals for "acts of religious observance"

I can copy and paste parts of the report to suit to :p

You are an embarrassment to your club, its intolerant small minded fans like you that the likes of Eirebear and Broxi complain about dragging the clubs reputation through the mud.

Its pretty pathetic that you think AH sets the social standards about tolerance towards religion.
    Im an embarrassment to The Rangers Football Club for hating the pope? Ok.

Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc was cautioned for inciting an Old Firm crowd rather than for blessing himself, the Crown Office has stressed.

But the Crown Office stressed it would not take action against individuals for "acts of religious observance"

I can copy and paste parts of the report to suit to :p

And as I said, the blessing himself got a huge negative reaction which was counted as part of the inciting a crowd.

Again, "based on an assessment of behaviour, not one single act, which appeared to be directed towards the crowd".

It said he had "provoked alarm and crowd trouble" which constituted a breach of the peace.

What other acts, because they are talking about more than one, incited the crowd???

Blessing himself was one, the hand gesture was the other, there wasnt anything else.

The police and crown office embarrassed themselves with that caution, why defend it?

Yes, you are intolerant to any view but your own. Think thats called a bigot btw

And the bigotry emerges. While I have not a great deal of time for the office of the Pope, comparing him to Hitler and calling him 'evil' is an interesting door into the bigoted world of loyalist Rangers fans.

Yes or no. Do you condemn the treatement Neil Lennon recieves from Loyalists and Rangers fans?

Yes. Because you are a textbook bigot and conflating your hatred of Catholicism (and probably Catholics) with your support of Rangers.

I HATE this current Pope. He is a repugnant and backwards looking man. But that has nothing to do with Shamrock Rovers. I hate him for what he has done. You hate him for what he is and stands for and alas, over the years that has a lot to do with Rangers.

• Advertisement

Is this thread about Neil Lennon or Artur Boruc?

I could have sworn it was about Neil.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement