Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does "%20" in URL affect SEO?

Options
  • 10-03-2011 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick query, the structure of my CMS/Website means that when I enter a page name it appears automatically in the top left hand corner of the webpage. This name also becomes the URL for that page. For example, if I am creating a page about red cars I would enter "Nice Red Cars" as the page name. So my <h1> heading is automatically generated by the CMS, which is fine, but my url then becomes www.nicecars.ie/nice%20red%20cars.php

I am just wondering if this affects SEO? I know %20 is HTML code for a space, but I'm just wondering if search engine spiders also interpret it as a space or does it appear as a line of gibberish?

Ideally the URL would appear as /nice-red-cars.php but then that looks stupid as the heading on the webpage.

Any input appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Interesting point - the %20 is a standard expression for a space - so perhaps there is an allowance for it.

Outside speculating on the algorithms I'd suggest that the URL appearing in a search list may not be as appealing to the eye as others without the %20.

(as an aside - are the URL's showing up in search results with the %20 check be searching "site:mysite.com")

Perhaps the best thing to do is to strip them out. If your on an apache server you can have a search for a mod rewrite that will do that for you automatically.

Personally, if they were showing up in any sites I look after, I'd err on the side of caution and strip them.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

blue4ever wrote: »
    Interesting point - the %20 is a standard expression for a space - so perhaps there is an allowance for it.

Outside speculating on the algorithms I'd suggest that the URL appearing in a search list may not be as appealing to the eye as others without the %20.

(as an aside - are the URL's showing up in search results with the %20 check be searching "site:mysite.com")

Perhaps the best thing to do is to strip them out. If your on an apache server you can have a search for a mod rewrite that will do that for you automatically.

Personally, if they were showing up in any sites I look after, I'd err on the side of caution and strip them.

C

Cheers Blue, good answer.

Yes they show up in the site: search. The fact it's such a standard expression, was the reason why I was querying it. I have some long tail results ranking fairly highly so I'm not sure if it is having a negative impact in terms of the search results.

I definitely agree on the visual aspect of it. It just looks messy.
    I believe the server is Apache alright, but I am far from a coder/php expert, HTML is about my limit. Would the mod you are talking about allow the %20 to be stripped from the URL but without changing the actually pointing of the URL.

Say my pages are generally only crawled by google on a monthly basis, so if I ran that mod (or got a developer to do it) would my urls in the google index still work? (not sure if I'm getting my question across right!)

Advertisement