Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky HD Offer for existing customer

• 10-03-2011 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Last week I had a sky rep call to my door and offered me Sky Hd for €10pm extra with a free sky hd box but standard installation was €30. When I asked if I needed a phonline for HD he said no but installation would be €68 instead of 30.

Ok first question has anyone else been offered this and second why do I need a phone line for HD I havent had a phoneline in my sky box for nearly 2 years,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rep hasn't a clue what he's doing,there's no extra charge for upgrades because you have no phoneline.All the installer has to do is pair the card with the new box once it's installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Mom2Be

Last week I had a sky rep call to my door and offered me Sky Hd for €10pm extra with a free sky hd box but standard installation was €30. When I asked if I needed a phonline for HD he said no but installation would be €68 instead of 30.

Ok first question has anyone else been offered this and second why do I need a phone line for HD I havent had a phoneline in my sky box for nearly 2 years,

Id be very careful signing anything with door to door reps..
    I had a girl call in November, signed me up as a new customer (i used my partners name) as i would receive free sports and movies for one month over xmas.

Like a fool i said ok but asked about my existing account. She said, just cancel it the day the installer comes. I then asked about money that will be due on existing account and she said i will only pay what is owed to the date of cancellation. And then one month later the new account will be debited from bank.

Like a fool i believed her.. Big mistake.. Installer came 8th Dec ~ Had no sports, no movies, no news and no music channels (after signing up to sky world which is everything)
    Had to add them myself and got charged full price even tho i explained what happened. Oh, also she was giving me my multiroom sub for €10 per month which i ended up payin the full €15.. Brilliant right :)

Wrong ~ Direct debit came out of old account 22 Dec - €37.50
    (original package)
    Direct debit came out of new account 22 Dec - €44.00
    (for 4pack that i DIDNT order)
    Direct debit came out of new account 08 Jan - €94.00
    (for adding movies)
    Direct debit came out of old account 22 Dec - €32.29
    (closing balance)
    Direct debit came out of new account 08 Feb - As normal

Total for one months skydigital 22 Dec to 22 Jan €207.79
    (all because i believed the lies from a door to door rep)

People in sky were brilliant but nothing they could do as was from a rep and not sky directly.
    I know its a bit of a long story but dont want to see anybody else go through what i did.
    If you want hd then ring sky directly, they will prob give it to you for €10 a month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

Hey

Long story short. I called sky to cancel as I was in the middle and willing to give UPC a spin (MISTAKE).

Anyway I was offered a HD box for €29 + €10 installation and €7.50pm for the HD channels. I agreed to the €7.50 but disputed the other fees, she agreed to waive the €29 but the installer fee stood. I think that is because of 3rd party installers and they can't very well waive fees on their behalf.

All in for €10 plus the addition €7.50 - worth it for the year I guess HD is very nice if you have not had it before.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I have been a sky customer for years.
    But had decided to stop it.

I called up to cancel . I was tranfered to a guy in another department.

To stay he offered a free HD box, free install, and 6 months half price subcription to their basic HD package.

I still left for a freest box.

But they will crumble if you bluff them and you are a good customer.

The worst that can happen is they call your bluff and let you go. In that case just call back in 10 mins as it takes 1 month to cancel fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mom2Be wrote: »
    Id be very careful signing anything with door to door reps..
    I had a girl call in November, signed me up as a new customer (i used my partners name) as i would receive free sports and movies for one month over xmas.

Like a fool i said ok but asked about my existing account. She said, just cancel it the day the installer comes. I then asked about money that will be due on existing account and she said i will only pay what is owed to the date of cancellation. And then one month later the new account will be debited from bank.

Like a fool i believed her.. Big mistake.. Installer came 8th Dec ~ Had no sports, no movies, no news and no music channels (after signing up to sky world which is everything)
    Had to add them myself and got charged full price even tho i explained what happened. Oh, also she was giving me my multiroom sub for €10 per month which i ended up payin the full €15.. Brilliant right :)

Wrong ~ Direct debit came out of old account 22 Dec - €37.50
    (original package)
    Direct debit came out of new account 22 Dec - €44.00
    (for 4pack that i DIDNT order)
    Direct debit came out of new account 08 Jan - €94.00
    (for adding movies)
    Direct debit came out of old account 22 Dec - €32.29
    (closing balance)
    Direct debit came out of new account 08 Feb - As normal

Total for one months skydigital 22 Dec to 22 Jan €207.79
    (all because i believed the lies from a door to door rep)

People in sky were brilliant but nothing they could do as was from a rep and not sky directly.
    I know its a bit of a long story but dont want to see anybody else go through what i did.
    If you want hd then ring sky directly, they will prob give it to you for €10 a month :)

Did you cancel the old sky account? Seems like you didn't hence the double billing.
    The other problem with ringing Sky is if you get the UK call centre they seem unaware of the deals offered to Irish customers,that causes no end of problems.Did this rep leave a contact number or name of the crowd she works with?
    There are some very good reps but sadly it's the bad ones that give everybody a bad name.Simple rule is if you're not 100% sure don't sign up to anything. If the rep knows their stuff and leaves proper contact details then you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Mom2Be

zerks wrote: »
    Did you cancel the old sky account? Seems like you didn't hence the double billing.
    The other problem with ringing Sky is if you get the UK call centre they seem unaware of the deals offered to Irish customers,that causes no end of problems.Did this rep leave a contact number or name of the crowd she works with?
    There are some very good reps but sadly it's the bad ones that give everybody a bad name.Simple rule is if you're not 100% sure don't sign up to anything. If the rep knows their stuff and leaves proper contact details then you should be fine.

I did cancel but its 30 days notice which she didnt tell me.

Yes i phoned numerous time ~ She is sorry and nothing like that ever happened her before but basically what is it i want her to do about it.

Phoned the crowd she works with and complained ~ Then looked at my phoneon my break from work one day and had 6 missed calls. It was her ~ Wanting to know why her supervisor called her and said basically she was in deep ****.. Still nothing done!

Im over it at this stage, Just dont want to see it happen anyone else is all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

sounds like the best answer here is to call and threaten to cancel stating HD being too expensive as the reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,326 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I had a pleasant experience recently for a change. My HD box was playing up and I had a fair idea it needed to be replaced and at the same time the two young lads wanted multiroom in their bedroom (cable and box there from a previous installation). If I had the mutliroom I was going to be tied to another contract for 12 months and while I didnt want to disappoint my 2 sons I didnt want to be paying the extra for HD and mutiroom for a year.

I rang sky and got through to their Derry call centre (I do believe it makes a difference who you get through to) and explained my predicament. We agreed that he would give me a discount on the mutiroom but he couldnt do this until it was added to my account and I had to verbally agree to having it added there and then. We also agreed that the HD wasnt worth €15 per month and he would put me through to the "downgrading dept." when we were finished with the mutiroom issue.

When he got the mutiroom on to my account he said he could make me an offer on this and the offer was that I would have it free for 12 months :). That was great and then he said I can make you an offer on the HD - half price for 12 months.

So my current half price sub has now been reduced further by €7.50 and mutiroom thrown in free for 12 months - you cant beat that :cool:

muffler out of interest do you have the full sky package sports and movies, I wonder would sky value a full package paying customer over someone like me who only pays €31 a month?

muffler out of interest do you have the full sky package sports and movies, I wonder would sky value a full package paying customer over someone like me who only pays €31 a month?
    Yes I have the basic pack with 2 mixes and also the sports and the movies. I suppose it does help perhaps if you have a substantial package with them.

But when they give me the half price offer last year I didnt have these. What happened was I had canceled the movies around March and then a couple of months after that I canceled the sports.

Having read here about all the offers people were getting to keep them on I rang in and complained that they hadn't made me an offer. So the girl said she could put me on the package I had a few weeks before it which included the sports at half price and it would stay like that for 12 months - no contract but if I changed the package I would loose the offer. She suggested that I add the moves then also as it was only going to cost anther €2.50 extra and if I wanted to add the movies in the winter I would loose the offer.

I cant recall the exact cost at that time but from last September it was €34 + €15 for HD leaving it at a total of €49/month. After the recent wheeling dealing I now pay €41.50 which includes mutiroom and HD

• Advertisement

Jesus €41 for HD and multi room thats brilliant, gonna give em a call tomorrow and chance my arm, do they still have that condition the you need a phone line for multi room, I have UPC phone and broadband at the moment you see.

Jesus €41 for HD and multi room thats brilliant, gonna give em a call tomorrow and chance my arm, do they still have that condition the you need a phone line for multi room, I have UPC phone and broadband at the moment you see.
    Yeah, they insisted on the phone line. When I got the multiroom ordered the guy told me that the phone line was needed so he told me what to do and posted a viewing card (already had everything else in the room)

When the card arrived I just went through the instructions he gave me and part of the set up involved the box doing a "call back" which I think it has to do once a month or something like that.

ah bummer I suppose I could always put a sky eye in the bedroom instead

Advertisement