Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Committements @ the o2

Options
  • 10-03-2011 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what time The Committements will be taking to the stage on Sat 19th in the o2?

It says on the ticket 20:30 but is this the when the supports acts come on stage or the main event?

My wife is working till 20:30 in The Coombe, she's wondering if she changes at work, gets a taxi over to St James then jumps on the Luas to the o2 will she make it in time..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most gigs tend to start at 9 or soon after, I can only remember one in recent years that started just after 8.30 and we were very surprised. You can ring the O2 boxoffice on the day and they should know, they usually have to know the times so they are not overpaying all the staff doing lights etc, and the likes of the commitments should turn up on time (not like axl rose!). I have rang a few boxoffices before and they always knew, you could even try ringing now, could be standard.

She will need to leave time to even get into the place though, i.e. ticket & security checks and just getting to your seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

A taxi straight to the o2 would probably be better, Shouldnt be much traffic at that time either. Taxi to Luas, wait for luas then Luas to the O2, getting off, showing tickets and finding seats could take an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Mixedup

You'll have a great night.

I saw them last night in Liberty Hall, and they were unreal! They started straight away with no support act, but that was a different kind of gig so I'd be surprised if they weren't supported on the 19th.
    The atmosphere in the room was amazing, craic was ninety and they're all brilliant live singers!
    Andrew Strong tore the house down!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

Thanks for replys. I'll give them a ring this week so if my wife cant make it then i can get someone else to go with.

I know Tony Fenton was running a competition for an unsigned band to play support, not sure if they will be the only support act or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭mattock

Should be a good night cant wait, hope I make it after the Rugby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

They're on-stage at 8pm apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nm wrote: »
    They're on-stage at 8pm apparently
    Online says 8.30 and the OP said the tickets do too, so there would be a lot of angry people if they start that early, where did you hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

rubadub wrote: »
    Online says 8.30 and the OP said the tickets do too, so there would be a lot of angry people if they start that early, where did you hear this?
    This effects me too, If anybody hears the right time please post here. Ta
    Mike

seemingly the support act is on at 7.30 and the commitments are on at 8.30 - looks like i'll be going on my own.... didnt get round to ringing the book office yet, must do it by friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Ticketmaster email states:

Event Information

The Stars From the Commitments - The O2, Dublin - 19th March 2011

Doors: 18:30

Fallen Angels: 19:30

Stars from the Commitments: 20:00

Half an hour doesnt seem right for a support act and the commitments to get on stage, probably 20:30 is more realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭benhurt1

The support band are the FALLEN DRAKES!

On 14th February, The Commitment’s star Andrew Strong and musical director Paul Bushnell joined Tony Fenton in studio to launch Tony Fenton’s Unsigned – a competition to find an unsigned band to perform a 30 minute support slot at The Commitment’s 20th anniversary reunion gig at the O2 on March 19th.

Congratulations to our 5 finalists: The Barley Mob, The Fallen Drakes, G Miley, The Problematic and Sanzkrit.

We received nearly 20,000 votes and are delighted to announce the winners as The Fallen Drakes.

They will perform a 30 minute support slot at The Commitment’s 20th anniversary reunion gig at the O2 on Saturday 19th March and, as an extra prize, they will also head to Grouse Lodge in West Meath for a one day recording session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Absolutely savage gig. Didn't think they would have given Glen Hansard a song but he sang "Old Town" by Phil Lynott and it was quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Have to agree with Previous poster ..Quality gig.
    Band Came on @ 20.50 and played for 2 hours. "Decco" AKA Andrew Strong has still got a voice that would knock the Bollix outta ye. Bronagh and Angeline were both superb Rob Arkins was also very good on the songs that he fronted and of course Glenn Hansard really got the crowd moved with a beautiful version of Philo's "OldTown" .Dave Finnegan also stood out with a really great performance
    Ticket Price was expensive..however on balance no gripes as they all really delieverd the goods.Place was packed all in all a really special night and a great home-comming for the Re-Commitments :-)

Great night, i made it that they played for 2hrs10mins and it flew, there wasn't one lull the whole night. The crowd really got into it too.

Made the last two songs of the support act and was impressed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Unfortunately couldnt go.

is that it for the Committments, is there any word as to whether they will play again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

They're made for the big tent at the Picnic but can't see it happening, too many people involved to keep the schedule free at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

This was fantastic gig not to be missed!!!

If you really want to get a sense of the athmosphere then check out my clips here...

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Great video clips!

Looks like one hell of a show - certainly plenty of energy.

Crowd seemed 'up for it too'...

Thanks for sharing ;)

Thanks for posting the clips.

I wonder will there be some kind of reunion dvd released. There was a few cameras recording the show. Was thinking it would be good if the cameras were following them around for the last couple of weeks doing interviews and recording them practising for the show. Package it together with the film and it'd be a nice 20th aniversary box set.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Was there Saturday, was an absolute belter of a gig. Andrew Strong is a serious performer. Was definitly worth the admission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Good gig, I was quite tired though so didn't fully get into it.

Did anyone else feel Andrew Strong came across a bit like his character, i.e. a bit up himself? The rest of my group certainly felt so.

Loved Glen's comment during songs: "We're not you're bleedin' group right." Didn't think Micka should have been given so many songs, loved Robert Arkins as a singer and Andrew himself blew the roof off the place vocally.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GalwayGunner

Loved that version of Old Town by Hansard - fantastic stuff.

Advertisement