Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run, two, three... GO!

Options
  • 10-03-2011 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi all,
    Long time lurker here who had been inspired from reading everyones posts so finally decided to take the plunge and set up my own log.
    I recently quit smoking and, with the help of the couch to 5k program, I’ve managed to stay off them :D . I’m in the middle of C25k now and to keep motivated I’ve decided to enter a few races :eek:. In an attempt to compensate for the years of smoking (or at least make myself feel somewhat better), I’ve decided to run some of them for cancer charities while I’m at it. I’m hoping that by posting here I’ll be less inclined to chicken out of any of the races and maybe see a few friendly faces en route!

So... I'm about to attempt the 20 min run at the end of C25k week 5 - I never thought I'd see the day I'd look forward to trying to run for 20 mins straight! Hopefully I'll manage it but it seems like a big jump from W5D2 with two 8min runs....

I'm thinking of doing the St. Patricks day 5K as my first race and then hopefully fit a few others in before attempting the mini marathon in June.

All advice, tips and encouragement as I plod along are very welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you just keep running three days a week you'll improve massively in a short period.
    And when you finish couch25k, if you're looking for more training plans Hal Higdon is a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eyeore

Well done Scibelle on starting your new log and giving up smoking. I started mine this week too and am just a beginner like you. I gave up smoking three years ago and it was the best thing I ever did, keep it up its worth it!
    I'll be following your log with interest, just in case I ever get lazy I will have to make sure I keep up with you :P
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Scibelle

Eyeore wrote: »
    Well done Scibelle on starting your new log and giving up smoking. I started mine this week too and am just a beginner like you. I gave up smoking three years ago and it was the best thing I ever did, keep it up its worth it!
    I'll be following your log with interest, just in case I ever get lazy I will have to make sure I keep up with you :P
    Good luck!

Thanks Eyeore! Hopefully we'll manage to keep each other motivated :p
    I can't believe the difference in fitness levels in only a few weeks - it's fantastic. :D

:eek: I actually did it - the full 20 mins :eek:
    Those of you who've been at this point in the C25k program are probably smiling and laughing at my post saying "I told you so". I really didn't think there was any way I could do a full 20 mins without stopping though. I'm so thrilled! I still can't really believe it. Even as I was doing it I kept looking ahead and thinking "Nope, not going to be able to run to the next point" and at every point I reached I kept going - the arguement I was having with myself in my head was bordering on ridiculous :o

Thats fantastic well done, keep it up!
    Your around 8 mins up on me so far...oh oh I'd better get moving. Next week my target is 3k so that should be around the 20min mark, no pressure no pressure :eek:

• Advertisement

Completed W6D1 on Saturday morning and found it really tough - I think it was to do with the fact that the intervals were back again. Once I finished the walking stages I must have done quicker jogs than usual.
    I then undid all my hard work by going out for copious amounts of alcohol on saturday night :o
    Ran W6D2 last night and found it slightly easier than W6D1 although I was grateful for the 3 min walk in the middle of the two 10 minute runs - my legs were feeling really tired at that stage. I still don't know how I managed the 20 min straight at the end of week 5 if half way through week 6 I'm greatful for the respite half way through! It must be a mental thing and I'm definately finding the first 10 minutes the hardest for all my runs even though I'm doing a full 5 min warm up walk.
    I got my race number for the 5K on sunday - I can't believe I'm actually going to enter a race! Hopefully I'll manage to jog most, if not all of it. Fingers crossed! In the meantime I'll think I'll try to get W6D3 done on Thursday and then rest until the 5K on Sun.
    If anyone wants to offer me any tips or advice since I haven't a clue (including a checklist of what to bring - safety pins for race number, ect?) it'd be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Bring along a printout of your acceptance mail. They'll have pins for your number there.
    You'll want to pick up your number at least 30 minutes before the start of the race, so it isn't too manic. There'll be a place there to leave a bag with your change of clothes etc (if you don't have a spectator you can leave them with). It should be reasonably secure, but don't leave anything there that you'd really miss, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Scibelle wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I’m hoping that by posting here I’ll be less inclined to chicken out of any of the races and maybe see a few friendly faces en route!

I think that's a common reason - the log acts as a sort of virtual peer pressure - not quite as good as the "are you heading out" phone call, but certainly something to help you focus.

You can spend a lot of time on it though, not to mention reading everyone else's!

Best of luck with your 5K - you're reaching escape velocity in no time!

Good Luck on Sunday!!! :pac:

Finished week 6 today of the c25k which consisted of a 25min run - I found it sooooo tough. It was a huge mental battle to keep going but I managed it and then towards the end I seemed to get a second wind and my mp3 player started playing some great tunes so I managed to keep going for another 6 mins! I'm in shock - can't believe I did it! Hopefully I'll be able to do the same on sunday and manage to jog the entire 5k.
    I think it took about 3 hours after the run for the redness in my face to die down - and it definately wasn't sunburn :o

• Advertisement

So I actually ran my first ever 5k race :D I'm thrilled with myself!
    After spending most of the weekend changing my mind about doing it, I told myself to cop on :o, put on my gear on Sunday morning, and headed into the Mansion house. I stayed close enough to the back as I was conscious of being in other people's ways who were faster than me!
    I think my concept of 5k and what 5k actually is are two very different distances - It seemed much longer during the race! I really struggled around the 3k mark but managed to jog the entire race (just about). I contemplated walking towards the end but then I turned the corner onto baggot st and there were too many people watching so I felt I had to keep jogging!
    Finished in just under 35 mins, and for someone who has never run before and smoked like a chimney for years I'm really proud of myself! It's hard to think I could barely run around the house a few weeks ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Scibelle wrote: »
    So I actually ran my first ever 5k race :D I'm thrilled with myself!
    After spending most of the weekend changing my mind about doing it, I told myself to cop on :o, put on my gear on Sunday morning, and headed into the Mansion house. I stayed close enough to the back as I was conscious of being in other people's ways who were faster than me!
    I think my concept of 5k and what 5k actually is are two very different distances - It seemed much longer during the race! I really struggled around the 3k mark but managed to jog the entire race (just about). I contemplated walking towards the end but then I turned the corner onto baggot st and there were too many people watching so I felt I had to keep jogging!
    Finished in just under 35 mins, and for someone who has never run before and smoked like a chimney for years I'm really proud of myself! It's hard to think I could barely run around the house a few weeks ago!!

Excellent - well done! That's what running is all about, just as much as the "can I shave off ten seconds by waxing my body" discussions. Pat yourself on the back; have a rest day - then off you go again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Steamer

That's great, congrats. I am doing my first one as part the Ray Darch 5k series. Looking forward to it. I ran 4k last week then walked for about 1 min (was around a big hill climb too) and then did the rest of the 5k. Should hopefully be able for the race on the day.

How long distance or time wise is it recommended that you should do 3 times a week in order to prepare?

brownian wrote: »
    Excellent - well done! That's what running is all about, just as much as the "can I shave off ten seconds by waxing my body" discussions. Pat yourself on the back; have a rest day - then off you go again:)

Never a truer statement!! Not only am I "off again" I signed up for TWO more races!!:eek:
    Thanks for the kind words! Fingers crossed I can keep it up and keep improving :)

Steamer wrote: »
    That's great, congrats. I am doing my first one as part the Ray Darch 5k series. Looking forward to it. I ran 4k last week then walked for about 1 min (was around a big hill climb too) and then did the rest of the 5k. Should hopefully be able for the race on the day.

How long distance or time wise is it recommended that you should do 3 times a week in order to prepare?

Thanks Steamer :)
    As you can probably see from the thread I'm really only a beginner so I won't start advising you on anything! I'd definately suggest having a look on some of the other threads though - you'll get a lot of really helpful answers and advice.
    I built myself up very gradually over the last 7 weeks using the couch to 5 k program (there's a thread on this). I'm now jogging for 25 mins 3 times a week (this is my week 7). I did the 5K race at the weekend as my week 7 day 1 run which should have been 25 mins. I pushed myself a bit more to jog the entire race but it was worth it :)
    Here it is:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056143231

Week 8 day 2 of C25K completed last night. Any problems? None. None at all. Not only did I jog for 28mins without having to stop, I continued on for another 12mins. So why do I sound cross? Because it's a pity I couldn't have done that for W8D1. It was a disaster. Worst of all, I combined my W8D1 run into a race.

I was so enthusiastic after the St. Patricks day run success that I signed myself up for a 4 mile last sunday. I thought the race day atmosphere would get me around the course as it's a little bit further than what I've built up to so far. I completed it but what a disaster of a run. I got a stitch that I couldn't get rid of so I had to keep stopping and then my left hamsting started getting tight. I was so annoyed. It was the first time I've had to stop and walk since I started the C25k program. And I stopped and walked a lot. I'm still annoyed just thinking about it.mad.gif (I think it's because a friend knew I was doing it and decided to join in and saw how crap I was that's making it worse)!

I'm feeling very demoralised at the moment but going for drinks on the Friday night probably didn't help things either so I'll keep plodding along.
    The race atmosphere was fantastic and everything was really well organised so I think I'll do it again next year and hopefully easily beat my time from this year. Did I really just plan to do a race a year in advance? eek.gif Must be bitten by the running bug already tongue.gif

Hey Scibelle congrats on doing so well on the St Patricks day run, fair play to you!! Dont beat yourself up about the second race, sure you did a great run then yesterday so obviously it was just a bad day. Keep up the good work ;)

Week 9 Day 2 of C25k completed today - although it was a slight variation on the norm!
    I decided to try the Great Ireland Run in the park. I knew I was never going to run the full 10 km as it's way further than any of my runs so far but I'm hoping to do the mini-marathon in june and I wanted to get an idea of a time to try to beat.
    The plan was to run the first 5k as I would have done in my normal C25k training and then play the rest by ear - walk if I was tired and jog in parts where I felt ok. Finished in just over 70 mins so I was really pleased considering I couldn't run for 70 seconds 9 weeks ago :o
    The weather was fantastic today and I really enjoyed the run. Plus as I was "down the back" I was able to have a bit of craic with some of the other runners as we were jogging along which was nice.
    They ran out of small t-shirts by the time I got to the finish so I have a lovely new large t-shirt for wearing to bed instead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well done, you must be chuffed!

(You can use this time to enter the Women's Mini-Marathon as a fast jogger btw)

Well done, you must be chuffed!

(You can use this time to enter the Women's Mini-Marathon as a fast jogger btw)

Thanks Rainbow (hope the injury is on the mend :)),
    I really was delighted with my run. I was using my original 5K (Paddys day) time of just under 35 mins as a guide and thought anything around 70 would be great but I honestly thought I'd be slower since I knew I'd have to walk parts of the 2nd 5k. I really surprised myself as I didn't walk anywhere near as much as I thought I'd have to - although some of those nasty hills were definately walked!
    Entered the time as a fast jogger for the mini-marathon (thanks!) so I'm all set. Now I just need to work out a decent schedule for the next few weeks and hopefully shave a few mins of yesterdays time - or at least maybe walk less of it!! RayCun recommended Hal Higdons 10k plan so I might give that a go.

• Advertisement

Finally finished C25k on Tuesday evening :D The legs were a bit stiff after the 10k run on Sunday so I took it slow enough to try to loosen them up.
    For anyone thinking of doing the program I can't recommend it highly enough.
    Next goal is to shave a few mins off the 10K time for the mini marathon in June.
    And so it begins again........ :p

Scibelle you are doing fantastic!! Keep up the good work :)

Advertisement