Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small piece of land needed

Options
  • 10-03-2011 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I would love to rent a small piece of land off somone, would have to be 100% fenced

This would be for my dogs so I can let them off the lead mornings and evenings.
    Trim only please. I suppose 1 acre would be more than enough, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

rent an acre of land for your dogs????

just head off ,get talking to a farmer and ask would he mind if ya ran your dogs on his land
    ya will need insurance
    http://www.countrysidealliance.co.uk

and make sure he has no sheep on the land

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

thanks a lot

yes I want some land for my dogs as my garden is too small and I am too nervous to let them off the lead and really want them to be able to run like mad :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

You could bring them out to Rathmore bog or Bettystown/Laytown beach.
    Are they aggressive to other dogs or strange people?
    You could teach them to come to your call if the problem is them running off.
    What breed are they?

hi
    they are not aggressive at all and very very social. they just love torun, cocker spaniels, I am teaching them recall but I would prefer a fully secure place, I dont mind paying.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Bring them up along the side of the old swimming pool or over to Summerhill Wood. There's always Porchfield, smack bang in the middle of town...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Bring them up along the side of the old swimming pool or over to Summerhill Wood. There's always Porchfield, smack bang in the middle of town...

dogs are not allowed run free in Porchfields, I think there is a sign somewhere. Some people do it but some people could make an issue of it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

dixiefly wrote: »
    dogs are not allowed run free in Porchfields, I think there is a sign somewhere. Some people do it but some people could make an issue of it.

I've been running my dogs free in Porchie for the past twenty odd years, long before there was ever any footpaths or people in it and I've never had a problem. As long as you have them under control and I have mine trained on the whistle.

Personally, I have no problem with you doing that and it doesnt concern me. You have them trained on the whistle, I am not sure that all dogs that are let loose are. I would also remember the days when there were no paths and (unfortunately:)) a good few years more as well.

I do know that there was at least 1 incident of dogs worrying the sheep over the years. How I know that is I was walking there late last year and happened to be walking with another person who would have also have grown up nearby. When we were walking a group allowed a dog to run loose (it could have been by accident) but the dog proceeded to chase all of the sheep. It was incredible how quickly the dog managed to scatter the sheep that were grazing up to then. The person that I was walking with had an argument with the owner of the dog and he stated that dogs are not allowed let loose on the fields.
    He later told me that he once witnessed some dogs attack and injure or kill some sheep and he rang the gardai. The dogs were finally caught long after the owner had disappeared.
    I am pretty sure that , since then, I have noticed some signs.

As I say, I have no personal issue with people letting well behaved dogs that are under control loose in the field. But it is probably not the correct place if there is any doubt over the control of the dogs.

This is why I want a piece of land, less.stressfull for me. I know they are well behaved regulsr dogs but u can never trust a dog 100%
    I want my dogs to run amd not have to answer to amyone
    Does someone know where I could find a website that has ads about land for rent? Cheers all

Two things you could try.

1. Contact the local IFA / Macra and ask them. It may be that you have to drive a few miles out of town to get your spot but there may be a difficulty getting a piece of land completely enclosed within the town that doesnt have some sort of rubbish that may be dangerous for the dogs.

2. The only public type green area that may be possible would be the big field near the Yellow Steeple that the various festivals / balloon fiesta were held in. There are no sheep there, very few walkers and of the walkers a few would have dogs. There would be the odd runner and if the dogs werent ones to go for a runer you may be ok. Only drawback is that there are several exits but its a big field and they may stay well within the boundaries. Might be worth a try some time its quiet - there would be less runners there on a Sunday afternoon(I think).

• Advertisement
Advertisement