Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Applegreen service station going North on M1

Options
  • 10-03-2011 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering how far is this past the Rush/Skerries exit on the M1 heading Northbound. Its addressed as being in Lusk but sure to get to Lusk you have to take the Lusk/Skerries exit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

While its not really near Lusk it's in between the Lusk Balbriggan and Lusk Donabate exits.

I'd say that's the logic in naming it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Pimp Ninja wrote: »
    While its not really near Lusk it's in between the Lusk Balbriggan and Lusk Donabate exits.

I'd say that's the logic in naming it...
    The address is Lusk as the townsland is Lusk.

Lusk is a lot more than just the town/village/gather of housing estates, it is a vast area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

ya also pay a premium of 1cent a litre at that service area compared to the apple green station at walshestown just because they are actually on the m1.yesterday it was 151.8 a litre at the m1 services compared to 150.8 at walshestown two minutes down the road

rpurfield wrote: »
    ya also pay a premium of 1cent a litre at that service area compared to the apple green station at walshestown just because they are actually on the m1.
    You don't actually know that's that the case at all. They have been the same price in the past for a number of weeks.

Perhaps the M1 stations received new deliveries which reflect new prices as they have higher turnover than the Walshetown Apple Green which has lower turnover and serving fuel from an older delivery?

Perhaps the Walshetown Apple Green is discounted by 1c to attract business over the M1?

Again there's no proof that you pay a premium because they are on the M1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Bluetonic wrote: »
    You don't actually know that's that the case at all. They have been the same price in the past for a number of weeks.

Perhaps the M1 stations received new deliveries which reflect new prices as they have higher turnover than the Walshetown Apple Green which has lower turnover and serving fuel from an older delivery?

Perhaps the Walshetown Apple Green is discounted by 1c to attract business over the M1?

Kindly share the proof that its not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Regardless of the how or why it just goes to show that it's worth driving the further 2 mins to get to Walshestown on the Northbound trip. It'll either be exactly the same price or slightly cheaper. ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bit of rudimentary maths here, but say it adds 500m onto your journey and your car does 10km/litre, you are paying about 7.5c in fuel more to save what? 50-60c?. Take into account the extra 2-3 minutes it adds to your journey, at the minimum wage (just for comparison purposes) of around €7, and you have all but wiped out your saving

Having said all that, I've spent more time typing this response, and saved absolutely nothing as a result of it:D

I get what you're saying Beasty but if you're travelling beyond the Walshestown exit anyway there is a saving. It would cost you if you're travelling to that garage to make a saving; if it's part of your journey it makes no difference to your fuel consumption. I hope you get what I mean.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I agree entirely on that point Eoineo - indeed the incremental distance (and resultant time) pulling into that service station is quite a lot less than on the M1, as it's right next to the road - if you're heading that way anyway, there's definitely a saving

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Kindly share the proof that its not.
    I don't have to prove anything, I am not the one stating that you pay a premium purely because of it location as a fact. The onus is on the poster to prove their story. Which they are highly unlikely to be able to given that it is false.

(awaits secondary childish response)

• Advertisement

OK guys, let's not get too worked up over something like this (we are talking about 1 cent per litre here;))

Thanks

Beasty

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Lads, Applegreen made a commitment to the NRA that the prices at their motorway service stops would match their other garages. It was part of the contract that franchised it to them.

I hope that alright to post Beasty and not stepping on your toes, I just wanted to settle it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭alkev

Lads, Applegreen made a commitment to the NRA that the prices at their motorway service stops would match their other garages. It was part of the contract that franchised it to them.

I hope that alright to post Beasty and not stepping on your toes, I just wanted to settle it.

Heading north yesterday, bought petrol at Applegreen Malahide rd on way to M1 for 147.8. It was 151.8 at Rush on M1 and 150.8 at the services on M1 near Dundalk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

alkev wrote: »
    Heading north yesterday, bought petrol at Applegreen Malahide rd on way to M1 for 147.8. It was 151.8 at Rush on M1 and 150.8 at the services on M1 near Dundalk.

Report it to the NRA so. I'm only quilting what the head of the NRA said when they opened.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Location Location Location! 159.9c at the Esso at Pinnock Hill

http://www.pumps.ie/findStationsByArea.php?county=Dublin&zone=Dublin+North

2011-03-11
    Applegreen Malahide Rd Kinsealy Dublin
    Petrol 148.8c
    Diesel 140.8c

2011-03-10
    Applegreen Exit 5, M1 Balbriggan Dublin
    Petrol 150.8c
    Diesel 142.8c

2011-03-09
    Applegreen M1 (Southbound) Baldrumman Dublin
    Petrol 151.8c
    Diesel 144.8c

Bluetonic wrote: »

im past them every day nearly giving i work a six day week most weeks and its always been a cent a litre dearer since it opened.i was just making a point that it apppears that way and thought id let people know but ya get all worked up over it.to be honest i stopped off at the northbound one yesterday to get money from the atm and it was jammers in the food court so i dont think me posting it has suddenly cost it a shed load of business.i still go into the walshestown one for fuel though because there isnt as much of a queue and if i need to check the air in my tyres too im not waiting around for someone to finish up

rpurfield wrote: »
    im past them every day nearly giving i work a six day week most weeks and its always been a cent a litre dearer since it opened.
    No it hasn't been.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

rpurfield & Bluetonic - This tit-for-tat argument & counter-argument thing could go on & on. Let's leave it at that. Thanks.

HB

no problem hill billy just wanted my previous post to clarify my point if someone wants to get up in arms with it they can fire away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I just want to point out that if you click on the pumps.ie link I posted and the two stations mentioned it trends the price risings from Oct 10 for the M1 Applegreen and the Balbriggan one longer if you care to use facts and figures to solve any argument.

• Advertisement

The pumps.ie website isn't always up to date unfortunately. When Corsendonk posted the prices on Friday I had only passed the Kinsealy Applegreen within the previous 2 hours and their diesel was 142.9c. I'm not a registered user of the website but just want to point out that I wouldn't rely on it for accuracy.

As at 6.10pm 23/03/11

Applegreen Lusk northbound petrol 147.8
    Applegreen Walshestown petrol 147.8

Looks like they've read this thread and aligned prices fair play to them, or maybe, and it's a big maybe, but maybe there never was a premium for buying petrol on the M1.

Advertisement