Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full frame or Not

• 10-03-2011 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Doing a good bit of portrait/studio work ,using 40d and a mk2 mostly ,with 17-35 and 70-200 ,just wondering is a change to full frame worth it,thinking of 5d or mk2 ds any help advice would be great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If you can afford to switch to full frame, it is worth it in my opinion. A 40D is getting on a bit nowadays so I don't know how it would compare to a newer 60D etc...

what I do know is a work firend was going to spend €300 on a tripod 2 years ago and I told him to sell his 40D, his 70-300, his kit lens and whatever else he didn't use and put that with his €300 tripod money towards a 2nd hand 5Dmki which he did and he's never ever looked back on the decision.

Just remember though, upgrading to a 5D is the cheapest thing. Full frame lenses, good ones anyway are the expensive part of the equation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭b318isp

What aspect of the 40D's performance are you looking to improve upon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I wouldn't go FX until I could well afford the FX lenses. You really want to be sticking good to great glass on the bigger sensors IMO. If I could afford the "Holy trinity" of lenses, well, then i'd have no problems buying a D3s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's something I've also been looking at doing.

I like the idea of FF, mostly for the definition and larger sensor. Mostly for landscapes and portraits.

Most of my lenses are L anyway, so no problem there, and I'm selling off the last ef-s lens I have (10-22mm). I sold off my 40D body, so I've nothing holding me back now from going FF as a third body.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Swaying towards either the Canon mk11 ds or the 5D suppose both do the same job as such ,also looking at getting a mk3 but worried about autofocus issues...

• Advertisement

The 1Ds MkIII never had the same focus issue as the 1D MkIII. They are different in that respect.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The auto focus isn't too fantastic on the 5D Mk II by some accounts here.

For studio and portrait work it's hard to fault the 5D tho for image quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

My main camera is a 5DmkI and I still think it holds its own despite the mk2 etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

The 5D mark ii is a joy to work with - even without L quality lenses.

If you have the money and won't miss it, go for full-frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I use the 5dmk1 for wedding work along with a 1dmk3 and they complement each other so well. Full frame is excellent but the biggest jump I had was getting the 1d body

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

hoganpoly... go for the 1ds mk2 - you will not regret it.
    I do a lot of studio work and have no issue printing A1's off the files
    (you won't believe the resolving power when combined with an L prime)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

If you don't mind the expense.. go to full-frame!

Thanks for all the feedback ,im gonna go 5d mk1 and the crop mk3 , looking at the UK because used prices bit steep over here :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Chalk and cheese. Go for it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

For Studio work your body is really just a holder for your sensor. It's the glass that is important. You will be setting up at ISO 100 or 200 so noise is not an issue. Your 40D is perfectly good for that work.

If you have GAS then fine, Full Frame is nice, but find another reason to justify it to the Ministry of Finance.

CabanSail wrote: »
    For Studio work your body is really just a holder for your sensor. It's the glass that is important. You will be setting up at ISO 100 or 200 so noise is not an issue. Your 40D is perfectly good for that work.

If you have GAS then fine, Full Frame is nice, but find another reason to justify it to the Ministry of Finance.
    I hear you cabin sail ,was looking at either 24-70 or 24-105 lenses just a matter of biting the bullet, also oshead after his workflow post has my heart set on a ipad to show clients instantly your shots, expensive times ahead me thinks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

@ hoganpoly I had a EOS 1 DS Mk II and eventually got a 1 DS Mk III after the shutter went in the mk II.
    Theres a huge expense between the two!! but if you can afford it, the Mk III is awesome.
    I also have a 1 D MkIII and it has no focussing issues at all, again a superb camera.
    EF 24-70 & 24-105 -got both of these again both top notch, you cant go wrong there!! for studio work i suppose you should also look at primes.

very spendy times ahead methinks

:)

Fionn wrote: »
    @ hoganpoly I had a EOS 1 DS Mk II and eventually got a 1 DS Mk III after the shutter went in the mk II.
    Theres a huge expense between the two!! but if you can afford it, the Mk III is awesome.
    I also have a 1 D MkIII and it has no focussing issues at all, again a superb camera.
    EF 24-70 & 24-105 -got both of these again both top notch, you cant go wrong there!! for studio work i suppose you should also look at primes.

very spendy times ahead methinks

:)
    Thx fionn ,I remember buying a 30d of you a long time ago and you warned me that this "hobby" would end up costing me a small fortune and you were right :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

The 5d "classic" is pretty affordable now second-hand. There is one at the moment for 750 on adverts.ie, and Birmingham Cameras have one for 850.

For what I do, frame rate is not important to me. Image quality is. I would take a 5d mk1 over a 60d any day. Actually the only crop camera around that price that might tempt me isn't even a Canon. (Nikon d7000 is brill IMO) But yeah, 5d all the way.

The gallerys speak for themselves. The 5d is awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

search enough and you'll find "awesome" images from just about any camera. It's more about technique and/or glass than body though. Seriously been considering a move to the D7000 [currently using a D90] when I can afford it, but also want more glass. I'm going to have to pinch myself a few more times and get it into my head that glass = better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

There is so much to love about image quality, noise (that looks more like film grain) and the feeling of holding the 5D. I haven't tried MkII and won't for a while, but my second hand 5D shoot about 1TB of RAW files and makes me smile every time I press the trigger and upload the pictures. Worth every penny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

ThOnda wrote: »
    makes me smile every time I press the trigger

Happiness is a Warm Gun.

Pictures Thonda with his finger on the Trigger. violent-smiley-027.gif

"Are you feelin' Lucky Punk?" violent-smiley-068.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Picture me with my finger on the trigger of this...
    3860150430_cf12c37712.jpg

I want to take that 300mm photo sniper rifle to Phoenix Park to take few shots of the American Embassy - you've got to do something funny to get published in local newspapers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I want to take that 300mm photo sniper rifle to Phoenix Park to take few shots of the American Embassy - you've got to do something funny to get published in local newspapers :D

Unless you're planning on climbing to the top of the Papal Cross you'd have your work cut out getting the shot, the American Embassy is in Ballsbridge.........:D

Picture me with my finger on the trigger of this...
    3860150430_cf12c37712.jpg

Can I borrow that? I've to go and shoot the president (Mary McAleese) on Mon evening. I'm sure it would be interesting explaining to security that I'm there to shoot the president with my Canon. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Yeah, but the Ambassador's residence is in the park (I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

CabanSail wrote: »

This would have been my thought from the start of the thread...

I guess there's possibly an objective and subjective answer to the matter - and maybe a scale in between... From "do you actually need the "upgrade" - to do you just simply want an upgrade...

I guess that's ultimately for you to identify and answer, based on what your own priorities and criteria might be... And maybe which is more important/valuable to you, the money or the upgrade...

Advertisement