Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New York Times gets Enda's gender wrong.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Oh an early post!

*Inserts something funny that gets lots of thanks*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I read the headline. That's enough to gauge their grasp on Irish politics.
    Ireland: New Prime Minister Is Sworn In

"Sure, aren't you all the same?". <facepalm>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

The error is understandable. He has that soft looking rosy skin and a feminine bone structure.

I've said too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:
    Correction: March 10, 2011
    An earlier version of this article incorrectly referred to the new Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny as a female. Enda Kenny is a male.
    Barely

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The New York Times has been forced into an embarrassing apology after referring to Taoiseach Enda Kenny as a woman.

In an article on its website last night, the Times referred to the Fine Gael leader as “Ms Kenny”.

“The Irish Republic on Wednesday swore in its new prime minister, Edna Kenny, after an election that wiped out the longtime ruling party, Fianna Fail,” the article wrote. “Ms Kenny’s center-right Fine Gael party will now govern in a coalition with the center-left Labour Party. “

The article was revised today to reflect the fact that the Mayo TD is, in fact, all man.

“An earlier version of this article incorrectly referred to the new Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny as a female. Enda Kenny is a male,” the correction read.

Link

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Groundhogs day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Spelling mistake shocker :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Do they have any proof either way?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

so the story about him cross dressing made its way to new york eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭HoneyRyder

*Snigger* :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Enda Genda Benda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Sykk wrote: »
    Groundhogs day.

That's in February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

His voice sounds a bit female-ish alright :D

Maybe the only heard him, but didn't see him ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Messi2

Oh heaven help us, what will Europe and the rest of the world think looking at this?

Next they'll notice the indo's not wearing suits! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Sugarfree

What was even worse was the picture that came with the original article.

dame-edna.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

We're supposed to turn the other cheek about the whole cross-dressing thing. After all, people voted for change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

chin_grin wrote: »

Ireland: New Prime Minister Is Sworn In

The majority of irsh peolpe don't speak irish but you expect peoplein another country to understand irish words?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

chin_grin wrote: »

Really? Presumably you call the Chinese President the Zhuxi, then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

'New York Times' has lower standards that most blogs on the web.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Sugarfree wrote: »
    What was even worse was the picture that came with the original article.

dame-edna.jpg
    Enda's looking good in that pic :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm surprised it took that long to happen.
    Seriously, if you're not Irish, you're bound to read that name as Edna Kenny.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm surprised it took that long to happen.
    Seriously, if you're not Irish, you're bound to read that name as Edna Kenny.

I think it may also be a case that in most languages names ending with an a tend to be female.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

fontanalis wrote: »
    I think it may also be a case that in most languages names ending with an a tend to be female.

It doesn't help.
    But I remember thinking the name was Edna for a good while when I first came here ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

I think "Enda" Kenny transcends any individual gender. It is a new super-being that combines the best characteristics and sexual organs of both genders, as well as a number of animals, and possibly some alien species.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I always get emails from Germans thinking I'm female too.

Its common for many people to assume that a name ending in 'a' is Female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

First time I overheard someone calling someone else Enda I thought it was some kind of nickname, like 'The Ender.' :o

It really shouldn't be surprising that people who aren't Irish don't get Irish names. Irish names are an entirely different brand of weird when it comes to spelling for your average foreigner.

liah wrote: »
    First time I overheard someone calling someone else Enda I thought it was some kind of nickname, like 'The Ender.' :o

It really shouldn't be surprising that people who aren't Irish don't get Irish names. Irish names are an entirely different brand of weird when it comes to spelling for your average foreigner.

Says the Canadian eh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

fontanalis wrote: »
    Says the Canadian eh!

What's that all aboot, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

At the end of the day this is not so much about the name and more a newspaper not even bothering to give the leader of a country they are writing about a quick google instead of just writing away and making assumptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

J K wrote: »
    I think "Enda" Kenny transcends any individual gender. It is a new super-being that combines the best characteristics and sexual organs of both genders, as well as a number of animals, and possibly some alien species.

I'm glad I didn't vote for the Fine Hermaphrodites.

Hid predecessor was however, 100% alien from the Planet Slug.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

It pretty hilarious that whoever wrote that just did a standard lazy 'insert name here' has been elected article. I mean could they not have even done a google search first?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

As an Enda, and after living in the US for a short period of time, I'm not at all surprised this has happened! The Americans tended to correct my name whenever they saw it written down or on a computer screen. They constantly thought I had spelled my own name wrong and that it was actually Edna :confused:

On another note, Enda can be both a boys or girls name :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In fairness, 'Enda' is one of the few Irish names which is spelled 'phonetically' from a foreigner's point of view.

Odds are they would have done the same with Micheál Martin's first name

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

how do so many people still not know about Edna's little incident in the city centre where was pulled over by a garda while driving erratically in a dress, wig and make up...

I thought it would have been public knowledge by now...

• Advertisement
Advertisement