Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling a tile

• 10-03-2011 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hey all

I'm looking to hang a mirror in main bathroom. Any advice on not smashing the tile when drilling?

Is there a different bit for drilling the tile or is a masonary bit ok?

Thanks
    Bull

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

you can get tile bits but using a normal masonry bit is ok too

put some masking tape on the tile where you want it drilled it'll stop the bit from sliding

use hammer action and at a mid speed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

you can get tile bits but using a normal masonry bit is ok too

put some masking tape on the tile where you want it drilled it'll stop the bit from sliding

use hammer action and at a mid speed :D

I usually use a glass drill bit when drilling tiles at home, with a slow speed and no hammer action.

You can get them from B&Q etc, but here's a link for convenience.
    http://www.amazon.com/Vermont-American-13310-4-Piece-Glass/dp/B000ETWIKM

Never had a problem with tiles cracking and it gives nice clean edges on the holes.

I've seen contractors go at tiled walls with masonary bits & hammer action drills.... they get on fine most of the time... but for the sake of a few euros on glass drill bits, I don't risk it..... if you have spare replacement tiles, and the time & energy to replace a broken tile, then you might want to chance it!

Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

OH yeah i didn't even think about glass bits
    they'll be good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

BullBauld wrote: »
    Hey all

I'm looking to hang a mirror in main bathroom. Any advice on not smashing the tile when drilling?

Thanks
    Bull

Specific drill bit for it, bought one yesterday in b and q. 10euro.
    Slowish speed, drill action.
    Try to keep the bit cool, (i dabbed it in cold water every now and then)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

BullBauld wrote: »
    Hey all

Thanks
    Bull

Porcelain or ceramic tiles?

Ceramic - normal masonary bit press the bit point on the tile and with your hand rotate the chuck back and forward until you break through the glaze.
    When you break the glaze you'll see the red tile core slow speed no hammer action (or you could crack the tile). Good idea to cover any surfaces under the hole the dust can stain some sealnats and finishes.

Porcelain - check this thread all info included

• Advertisement
Advertisement