Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Cancellation?

Options
  • 10-03-2011 2:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I lost my phone yesterday, I am on a Meteor 18 month contract and am into my 13th Month, I have paid them several hundred Euro in the last year mainly in roaming charges, today I phoned them up and asked them for the iPhone 4 something I was told by them was coming in February.

Today I rang them to block my phone and my account until I get my new iPhone, then they told me they are not and will be not offering it. I have no choice now but to cancel and move to Three to get the iPhone. I informed them of my intention to cancel and they told me that I will have to pay a €100 cancellation fee, something I have absolutely no intention of paying, they then threatened debt collectors etc.

Obviously I am cancelling and despite paying them a small fortune they kick up crap when I want to exit the contract early due to their refusal to offer the iPhone.

This country gets worse every day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭ongarite

Frankly, I can't see anything wrong from Meteor points of view.

Its not Meteors fault you incurred high roaming charges or that they don't have a contract with Apple for iPhone 4.

You signed an 18 month contract and wan't to run away from it without paying up the cancellation fee.

This country gets worse every day...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It is my fault I lost my phone, jeez not refuting that at all, however I want a specific model (iPhone) and Meteor refuse to provide me with it, then it leaves me no choice but to choose a different company, Aer Lingus don't fly to Australia, yet I as the customer can use alternatives to get there, competition and the free market etc.

I have spent well in excess of what I originally committed to over the lifetime of the contract and have repaid the original phone subsidy many times over and from the company's view point was a very profitable customer exceeding my minutes regularly and making many international calls not included in my bundle and as I said earlier alot of roaming expenditure also.

Now as an higher value customer to their company I expect to be able to buy the type of handset I want and not some knock off poxy asian equivelent, also bear in mind that Meteors National 3G coverage is shocking and even if I was to buy the iPhone independently Meteor would be of no use to me in my home, (which I would actually be ok with) as I would be using it on the move mainly.

This situation is disgraceful and shows how little they actually value their customers be they Billpay or PAYG, they do not provide what I want and then they expect me to hold me to ransom to stay on as a customer when the decent thing would be to cut me free if they could not provide what I as the customer want.

Imagine booking a Hotel and getting a crappy room, not getting your money back and not being allowed to move to another better hotel also and forced to stay at the bad hotel.

This is the same thing with Meteor, I was happy to stay on as a customer for the remainder of contract until I lost my phone, I now do not want to purchase another standard handset as I was planning the iPhone to be my previous phones replacement when Meteor were due to stock it in February (as I was told by their lying sales people before Christmas).

Meteor a typical Irish company, with no customer appreciation or ethics, and the posters here like typical Irish drones happy to be shafted and even defend the shafting by said company. No wonder the country is screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Stinicker wrote: »
    It is my fault

It's all your fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Unless I am mistaken, even if Meteor had the iPhone, you are still in contract so would not be entitled to upgrade anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It is my fault I lost my phone, jeez not refuting that at all, however I want a specific model (iPhone) and Meteor refuse to provide me with it, then it leaves me no choice but to choose a different company, Aer Lingus don't fly to Australia, yet I as the customer can use alternatives to get there, competition and the free market etc.

You signed up to meteor for an 18 month contract. It didnt have a clause to leave if you lost the phone, and that you can leave if they dont have handset you want. You cant use the aerlingus, free market as a comparison after you sign a contract. You left the free market when you signed up for an 18 month contract!

I have spent well in excess of what I originally committed to over the lifetime of the contract and have repaid the original phone subsidy many times over and from the company's view point was a very profitable customer exceeding my minutes regularly and making many international calls not included in my bundle and as I said earlier alot of roaming expenditure also.

The contract didnt have an amount stated that you could leave free of charge when you reached so much. You can always pay them a breakage fee. Or just buy an iphone yourself and continue using your meteor contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Imagine booking a Hotel and getting a crappy room, not getting your money back and not being allowed to move to another better hotel also and forced to stay at the bad hotel.
    But that's not what your situation is. You signed up to a contract, got a phone as a sweetener and then lost the phone it's not Meteors problem.

What you are asking is for the hotel you booked into provide you with a room from another hotel, which they have no affiliation to.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

But could you book with Aer Lingus and then demand that they fly you to Australia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't think people understand what a contract is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

BostonB wrote: »
    I don't think people understand what a contract is.

I know well what it is, however in this country they are no worth the ink they are written on. How many people have contracts to repay their loans etc. Meteor also entered a contract to provide me with a service and a level of customer service, I as the customer can not get what I want so basically screw them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I as the customer can not get what I want so basically screw them.

I wonder would a judge see it your way :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I know well what it is, however in this country they are no worth the ink they are written on. How many people have contracts to repay their loans etc. Meteor also entered a contract to provide me with a service and a level of customer service, I as the customer can not get what I want so basically screw them.
    They supplied you with a (heavily subsidised) phone at an agreed price in return for you agreeing to pay them at least X amount per month for 18 months. Where are they not performing their side of the contract?

As I already said, even if Meteor did offer the iPhone, you are still in the minimum term of your contract so you wouldn't be entitled to upgrade anyway! If you want an instant replacement in case you lose your phone, you buy insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

... basically screw them.

Thats a no then...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭love that turbo

You dont want to listen to anyone as u think u are right, your not.

Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 daber

Always read the fine print :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The contract meteor entered to provide service did not include providing you with a product that they don't supply using an upgrade that you're not yet entitled to. You might as well be arguing that you should be allowed to end your contract because Meteor customer care won't come to your house and do the dishes

Advertisement