Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to register to get free map update with Garmin

Options
  • 10-03-2011 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi all,

When I purchased by first Garmin, I deferred registering it until after a map update was issued so as to qualify for the free upgrade (which was delivered by post) (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055215813). I notice now on Garmin's website that they refer to registering within 60 days and also First Satellite Fix.

Does this mean that Garmin have copped on to purchasers deferring registration so as to qualify for the free upgrade?

Also, is now a good time to buy from a mapping status perspective - is an upgrade imminent?

Thanks,

William

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Yes, Garmin have a limit of six months for ONE free map update.

Whether it happens or not, Garmin are or have moved to a three months map updating system [at least in the USA or parts thereof]. It's a little vague to be honest.

But this is part of the reason too that updates are limited to six months ~ the next question is; if there are two updates released in that six month period which one can I get ~ I cannot answer that ~ but I'd GUESS you only qualify for the first one released after purchase ~ be that three months, six months, one year or 18 months before a new release is issued by Garmin ~ not your choice.

As you can appreciate if Garmin do release every three months, that's €320 a year if you update all the time, but updated annually only if there is sufficient updates done in your area of travel.

Some new feature may get added whilst older feature have not made it to the maps yet. Street one way systems might not be updated, rounabouts hang around for years after they've been taken away and so on and on and on.

Going on the feedback in this very forum about the latest Garmin Map release, it's not up to expectations ~ you'd need to allow TWO YEARS for new roadways, motorways etc to be updated ~ how this fits in with a three month map release has to be seen. It's not off to a good start, but you can read that in the other thread.

Advertisement