Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

server 08 on 512Mb ram

Options
  • 10-03-2011 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

hey guys, have a pc here that im converting into a home file server and i have a windows 2008 and 2003 license from dreamspark.

the machine is
    athlon xp 2400+
    512Mb ram
    40/80GB hard drive
    2x1TB drives on a sata card.

now i have a sempron 3000+ laptop with a gig of ram that runs 7 fine so im guessing this pc would be grand if it had a bit more ram, that said I would like to know if it will run very well at all on the half gig of ram as it will be a while before I can upgrade the ram in it or will i just stick 2k3 on it?

and yes i understand that I could install linux or the like of windows home server on it for more ease of use but tbh i would like some more hands on experience with windows server so i might as well install that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

you'd have major issues getting 2008 to work , 2003 could work on it but performance wise it's not going to be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

ittl do for what i want really, failing that ive a P4 dell knocking about. Ive ran 2k3 on much lesser machines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

2008 some how is different than 2003 in resource demanding.
    chck adverts'server section,you might be able to pick-up a real bargain !

also,make sure that 32 bits and 64 bits difference is being made as well...

have fun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

2008 will install and run on it, i currently have a Hyper-V guest with 512MB Ram, it runs but thats about it

Advertisement