Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin GPSMAP 62s vs Oregon 450

Options
  • 10-03-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi Everyone, I've been looking for a decent rugged GPS with Mapping capability, and just came across Oregon 450 GPSMAP 62s.does GPSMAP 62s have higher sensitivity chip ? why is gpsmap 62s is more expensive than 450? 12 channel vs 20 channel maybe a difference? Does gpsmap62 s have better receiption?

Thanks in Advance,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They both use the same chipset, the STM Cartesio. GPSMAP 62s has a quad helix antenna whereas the Oregon has a patch antenna. Personally I've never had issues with losing lock on my Oregon 550t, so I'd question the need for the quad helix antenna tbh. There are other differences too .. Oregon is touch screen, but screen can be a bit difficult to read in some light conditions. 62s has a brighter screen, lower resolution, but uses buttons and looks more 'rugged' :) Take your pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Mac2010

THANKS Alun, i dont see much difference between oregon 450 and oregon 550.the only difference i can see it3.2mp camera.it looks like oregon 450 is my bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Ive got the 450 myself and no problems with coverage. I think You are right regarding the camera being the main difference between the 450 and 550.
    Touchscreen takes a little getting used to but does the job fine.
    A good unit all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Mac2010

@John thanks for sharing. Currently I'm looking at the oregon 450.seems has everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

FWIW I only bought the 550 because at the time the 450 didn't exist, only the 400 which didn't have the barometric altimeter or the 3-axis compass. The camera is pretty crap really, although I suspect it's more down to the post-processing that goes on in the camera than the quality of the camera itself. It comes in handy now and then though, and the photos are fully geotagged, even down to the direction the camera is facing, which is nice. Otherwise I'd have bought the 450 too, probably.

• Advertisement
Advertisement