Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are games fun anymore?

Options
  • 10-03-2011 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

Hi, could anyone recommend me some games which are actually fun? I remember games like Baldurs Gate very fondly as they were fun to play, had engaging storylines and excellent possibilities for customization. I would say customization which links into the gameplay aspect really enhances the experience but these days I find games are far too standardized/overly serious. I'm waiting out for Duke Nukem Forever which looks really cool, but are there any games out there that essentially take you to another world excepting mmorpgs? I played ME but was completely underwhelmed and the collection missions (of which there were too many imo) just generated apathy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Out of games in the last few years, try Borderlands. Its great fun and offers lots of customisation (there are literally millions of weapons in the game).

Recently, it looks like Bulletstorm might fit your 'fun' requirement. I haven't played it yet, so I don't know about customisation, but I know abilities and weapons are unlocked as you go along. And you'll laugh yourself stupid at it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Hi, could anyone recommend me some games which are actually fun? I remember games like Baldurs Gate very fondly as they were fun to play, had engaging storylines and excellent possibilities for customization. I would say customization which links into the gameplay aspect really enhances the experience but these days I find games are far too standardized/overly serious. I'm waiting out for Duke Nukem Forever which looks really cool, but are there any games out there that essentially take you to another world excepting mmorpgs? I played ME but was completely underwhelmed and the collection missions (of which there were too many imo) just generated apathy.

If you like Baldur's Gate, have you played Planescape: Torment, Fallout (1 or 2) or Arcanum?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

If you like Baldur's Gate, have you played Planescape: Torment, Fallout (1 or 2) or Arcanum?
    And Icewind Dale. And Sanitarium.

But yes, Planescape first. :)

To be honest, by saying you found Baldur's Gate "fun" you're going to throw a lot of people. I mean, I loved the game/series but "fun" certainly isn't a word which immediately springs to mind while playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

If you need customization with your fun, then FPS RPGs like Fallout 3 or New Vegas would be good bets, evil playthroughs can be great fun.

I found Bayonetta to be loads of fun, big over the top boss battles and a crazy story, but not a huge amount of customization.

gizmo wrote: »
    And Icewind Dale. And Sanitarium.

But yes, Planescape first. :)

To be honest, by saying you found Baldur's Gate "fun" you're going to throw a lot of people. I mean, I loved the game/series but "fun" certainly isn't a word which immediately springs to mind while playing it.

I'm still on my first playthrough of Baldur's Gate. I'm at the spider's nest in Cloakwood right now, "fun" should never ever be used to describe this place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'm still on my first playthrough of Baldur's Gate. I'm at the spider's nest in Cloakwood right now, "fun" should never ever be used to describe this place.
    Hmm, it's been 13 years (jesus ****ing christ) since I've played that game so all I can say is area effect spells at the edge of the screen when you know you're right next to the enemies in question, are your friend.

Speaking of spells, I want to dual Imoen now (level 5) into a mage, what are good spells for her?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

+1 on the area of effect spells tip. Can't believe I still remember cloakwood!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

you would probably like Dragon Age origins as its the spiritual successor to BG2, as for Dragon Age 2 if you found BG fun because of its depth, story and complexity leave DA2 alone

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

gizmo wrote: »
    Hmm, it's been 13 years (jesus ****ing christ) since I've played that game so all I can say is area effect spells at the edge of the screen when you know you're right next to the enemies in question, are your friend.

Eat Cloudkill Firkraag!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Metal Slug. Always a whale of a time guaranteed when you play this bad boy.

Also, if you have a Wii, grab a couple of mates and play Super Smash Bros or Goldeneye or Mario Kart. All good fun games to play regardless of whether on you're own or with mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Minecraft :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Thanks for the recommendations. Yeah I think I'd like to play something like BG again except modern preferably but I'll give some of those old games a look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

stalker: shadow of chernobyl!
    !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

If your looking for fun and are interested in Duke Nukem then Bulletstorm is the game for you. Ive heard tons about it on podcasts and it sounds like the best laugh in ages. Real old school, point accumulating, crazy fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Agricola wrote: »
    If your looking for fun and are interested in Duke Nukem then Bulletstorm is the game for you. Ive heard tons about it on podcasts and it sounds like the best laugh in ages. Real old school, point accumulating, crazy fun.

Extremely fun game to play alright and a breath of fresh air for the FPS genre imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Mr E wrote: »
    Out of games in the last few years, try Borderlands. Its great fun and offers lots of customisation (there are literally millions of weapons in the game).

Recently, it looks like Bulletstorm might fit your 'fun' requirement. I haven't played it yet, so I don't know about customisation, but I know abilities and weapons are unlocked as you go along. And you'll laugh yourself stupid at it. :)

I'll second this. I seem to have nearly completely lost that fun factor in gaming over the last year or two but I had an absolute blast playing borderlands!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

As per people above, Borderlands is a fantastic game. Savage (gun) customisation, literally endless possibilities. Nice graphics and interesting story. And a long enough game too.

Other than that, i enjoyed Dragon Age Origins, not the prettiest game out there, and the story/dialogue aint great, but i found it "fun" to play. Just starting DA2 today! :D

Also, for a quick blast of fun, Bulletstorm is savage. Breath of fresh air, but once i finished it, i didn't play it again. Traded it in for €45 credit (bought for €50) and got Killzone 3 for a €5, which i traded in yesterday and got €45 credit plus a preorder bonus of €11.25 when i preordered Homefront, so basically getting it for free with change! :) /off-topic

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Downloaded the trial for Torchlight on XBLA yesterday and sat down for what I thought would be a quick half hour run through.

4 hours and an upgrade to the full version later, I'm looking forward to a great weekend!

I'd forgotten how much I love Diablo (Torchlight)! They're very similar with randomly generated dungeons, monsters to kill and loot to find.

Use loot to kill a bigger monster and get better loot. Repeat as necessary.

Very engrossing, the control system is not as smooth as mouse and keyboard but after a half hour I didn't care anymore, I was having too much fun.

Agh, I got Dragonage, now I have to play 150 hours worth of fantasy rpg. Hopefully it will be enjoyable, more enjoyable than Oblivion anyway which I never finished due to boredom. I had an idea for a game though, you know the way rpgs tend to be either medieval fantasy or sci fi like ME?, how about a Roman epic rpg? You could play as either a gladiator, a gladiator owner, a senator or a Roman legion commander. It would be like Spartacus, full of intrigue, colourful language and ott moments. That would be awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

by Jupiters c0ck! i think you have a good idea there

Haha lol, can't beat Quintus Batius's trademark catchphrases. Well if anyone can progam physics engines etc, I can do the graphics and we could make the game and sell it, thereby making millions and saving the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I had really great fun playing Red Dead Redemption. Retro-wise, Broken Sword was an awesome point and click. Uncharted 2, God of War III are breath-taking feats of videogaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Unfortunately this thread rings too true to me...!

Games that have engrossed me recently, as mentioned, were Borderlands and the Uncharted series.

The Mario Galaxy series is as good as Mario has ever been too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Ok having lost all of today and most of last night to Bulletstorm I would recommend this! Its been a long time since I enjoyed a game this much. Its fun, short (this is a plus for me) and funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I am having lots of fun playing Just Cause 2 on the PC.

Very cool game for a mindless bit of fun :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Agh, I got Dragonage, now I have to play 150 hours worth of fantasy rpg. Hopefully it will be enjoyable, more enjoyable than Oblivion anyway which I never finished due to boredom. I had an idea for a game though, you know the way rpgs tend to be either medieval fantasy or sci fi like ME?, how about a Roman epic rpg? You could play as either a gladiator, a gladiator owner, a senator or a Roman legion commander. It would be like Spartacus, full of intrigue, colourful language and ott moments. That would be awesome.

fukin xena an all wha

depth is gone from games now. if i was to play as a gladiator no doubt its gonna be some wanker justifying himself to an audience of lads that ****in dig the chest high walls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

moonboy52 wrote: »
    I am having lots of fun playing Just Cause 2 on the PC.

Very cool game for a mindless bit of fun :)

Really enjoyed it for the first few days but after that it kind of went sour (after i had finished) -there was nothing interesting in the villages - they were all the same. Woe begone the days of GTA3!

Advertisement