Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPVC Window handle locks - where to buy?

• 10-03-2011 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

My downstairs windows have locks but the upstairs ones don't. I'd like to replace the handles on the windows upstairs with ones with locks.
    I don't know what brand the windows are - looked but don't see it written anywhere on the windows.
    Can anyone tell me where I can get window locks in Dublin West/D15 or elsewhere convenient/nearby and are they standard items & sizes or do I need to know the brand/size etc of the window handles I'm looking for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It depends really, can you take a picture of the handle and post here?

Is the locking mechanism built into the window? eg multi point locking mechanism, in which case the handle just turns a square bar. Or does the handle actually provide the locking too?

In most cases these days the handle just turns a bar to engage / disengage the locking mechanism inside the frame. You should be able to get similar handles for these in the likes of B&Q.

I needed some of the older type handles that actually provide the locking too, looked in a few places couldn't find what i needed, so went to ebay and got exactly what i needed. If you take some measurements of yours, you could be able to find something on ebay the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

Thanks very much for the reply DublinDilbert.
    I've uploaded photos of ta handle I have with the lock and one without.
    I'm not sure what you mean about the locking mechanism built into the window - the handle moves down and secures the window - a bar moves down at the side of the window. What I want is to be able to lock the handle into place then so it cannot be opened. Does that make sense?
    I've got a toddler and have the fear that he's going to drag furniture over and climb up and out of the upstairs windows, it's definitely not beyond him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yea so the locking mechanism is built into the window.

Ebay or even B&Q will have suitable replacements, just maybe take the old one off and bring it with you. There should be a philips head screw under the little white cover to unscrew the handle.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=window+handle&x=0&y=0

http://cgi.ebay.ie/DATUM-INLINE-UPVC-ESPAG-WINDOW-HANDLE-40MM-WHITE-BUTTON-/120661574761?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c17fd8469

Brilliant, will go to B&Q today for them and bring an old one if I can get it off.
    Thanks a million for your help & fast replies DublinDilbert.
    Mary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

alternately, there is a company in Ballyfermot that supplies window catches,hinges etc and sell the same handles you are looking for approx €2 each.

Look up phone book/golden pages online: DGS Ireland.

Also, there is another company in Kilbarrack: MILA

Why pay through the nose in B&Q/ebay etc when the professionals go to the above?!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tarwad

i have the same Handle like the ones in the images in comment #3. the problem is when i turn the handle to lock the window it doesn't lock it. will changing the handle help, i.e. if i change the handle will it lock the window. or will i need to change the whole lock mechanism in the window.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

The Reason the windows upstairs do not have locks is in case there is a fire;)

Can you not get the ones with the button instead of a key lock??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

mondeoman2 wrote: »
    The Reason the windows upstairs do not have locks is in case there is a fire;)

Can you not get the ones with the button instead of a key lock??

What he said.

I ended up getting mine in Atlantic Homecare. They have a lock & key but if you take the key out there's still a button that you need to press in to open the window so I just leave it unlocked all the time.

• Advertisement

Tarwad, this is the part of your window, in relation to the PM I sent you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

If it's to stop toddlers getting out, you can get restrictors that allow the window to open about 100mm for ventilation. With effort they can be fully opened for fire escape purposes, but not by a toddler!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

tipperary wrote: »
    If it's to stop toddlers getting out, you can get restrictors that allow the window to open about 100mm for ventilation. With effort they can be fully opened for fire escape purposes, but not by a toddler!

Have been looking for these restrictors around Waterford with no luck. Anyone point me in the right direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Where do you get restrictors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lauraash

You can buy these handles direct from the manufacturer, probably for cheaper. They supply Mila and DGS. The company is called Staralliance ltd. it is found in Westmeath and can surely help you. The email is staralliance@gmail.com they were very helpful when I called. Look for Anne I think was her name! :)

Advertisement