Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools have no place for child

Options
  • 10-03-2011 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

We've just heard from the fifth school taht we put our childs name down for that they don't have a place for her. We live in dublin but neither of us are from dublin. We put the name down in two local schools and three further afield schools just to cover our bases. The local schools take baby names from when they are two but we put the name down when we moved into the area from cork, late dec. Apparently this was too late and automatically put us on a waiting list. People whose parents had gone to the schools would be ahead of us on the waiting list. Schools whose parish we weren't in told us no also. So now all five schools have said they don't have a place. She will be 5 at the end of sept. Is there anything we can do or can anyone suggest anything? Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im moving this to the parenting forum as you may get a more knowledgeable response there. Anonymous posting is still allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You need to contact the Department of Education and ask about an appeals process, they will help you find a place in a school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well yes, children with brothers and sisters already in the school and those living in the parish would take priority over you.

The Dept of Eduction will help get you a place somewhere if you're exhausting your options

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Was the kid baptized, OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

First step it's to get a copy of the enrolment policy from each school and make sure it has been followed. You may have ground for appeal under S21 of the Education Act if they haven't followed their policy. Apart from that the Dept may be able to help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Well yes, children with brothers and sisters already in the school and those living in the parish would take priority over you.
    Only if it states this in the policy. People often just assume this and it's not necessarily so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Not all schools operate a how long your on a list or in an area policy. So you need to look farther afield. Personally I think someone in an area longer should get preference. But in my area if you rented a house closer to the school, you'd get preference over someone who's been there for 20yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Have an informal chat with school principles. I've known parents get a place with a local school after being refused. Children have to go to school so a place must be found.

As much as I hate the parish pump, a TD might plead on your behalf too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

lazygal wrote: »
    Have an informal chat with school principles. I've known parents get a place with a local school after being refused. Children have to go to school so a place must be found.

There is no chance of getting a td to plead your case or to get a principal to go against the school policy, you will not get anywhere. If it was possible to do this, do you not think Joe Duffy would be getting calls from all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

lazygal wrote: »

Probably because places free up once the term starts as some pupils move around between schools a little bit at the start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement