Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram upgrade

Options
  • 10-03-2011 5:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

I'm looking to upgrade my ram as I am reaching the limits of my OCing capabilities with mixed ram modules.

My Rig currently sports a single 2gig stick of Crucial Ballistsix DDR2 800
    and 2 x 1gig OCZ DDR2 800.

In the post screen I'm told that "Memory runs at flex mode". (whatever that means.) they normally default to 533Hrz without overclocking

My CPU is a recently purchased Q6600 slacr @ 3.24Ghrz.

While the ballistix ram used to run fine at 800hrz 1.8v before I added the OCZ RAM I find now that I have to increase the voltage to it's highest rating of 2.0v and decrease the speed to around 750hrz in order to get the machine stable.

I feel my processor can do a good deal more, especially as the temps idle at roughly 33C on the hottest core (core 0) and only rally get up to about 45-50C.

So, I'm thinking of purchasing another 2 x 2gig sticks of crucial ballistix which currently go on pixmania for about €80 delivered.

However If I do this I'll end up in a situation where I have one matched pair of sticks and one identical stick on it's own.

Will I still be running at flex mode or will this setup run at "dual channel"?

Would I be better off just picking up just the one 2gig stick of crucial?

by the way If anyone has one of these 2gig ballistix models they'd be willing to sell or even swap with cash for 2x1gig OCZ please drop me a line.

thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

sound like your better off getting a set of oc'ing ram and selling off the others:

http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr2ram/4gbsgkillpc28800ttserieskit.html

unfortunatly ddr2 has gone up massively in price but there a great kit for the job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

yeah but I think the 1x2gb ballistix is up to a fair bit of abuse considering it defaults to 533 when mixed but normally runs at 800hrz and can be
    pushed all the way back up to 750 within it's advertised voltage. I can pick up another single 2gig stick from pixmania or komplett for about 45-50 delivered.

I rambled on a little in my original post.
    I guess my main question is whether or not 6 gigs (2 pairs & 1 single)
    will give me the same speeds as 4 gigs (2 pairs).

In my mind I'm thinking I should get as many matched gigs as I can
    before they disappear altogether.
    I won't be skimping on RAMin my next build I can tell ya.

Thanks for the link in any case. maybe I'll consider a full swap out

Advertisement