Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to change

Options
  • 10-03-2011 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,

Im fairly new to running, have done two races an 8k in Feb and first 10k last sunday, i plan to do alot more as i have caught the running bug big time, never thought i would get so addicted. Was reading through alot of the threads here and some were so brilliant i decided to do my own so i keep on the right road and maybe give someone like me the confidence to do it as i never thought i could do it. I want to lose weight also as im nearly thirty and my weight has been bad for years and im sick of it. I will post how i get on but i wont put food dairy up or anything but might put the weight up every week so i can be shamed if im up any week.
    So im in the 2nd week of my new life and so far this is how things have gone.

Starting weight 18st 5

Mon 28th - ran 6K
    Tue - ran 7k
    Wed - ran 7k
    Thursday - 30min cycle
    Friday - ran 8.5k
    Sat - Rest
    Sunday - first ever 10k race, did it in 62mins

Weight - 18st 3 - lost 2 pounds

Mon 7th - Rest
    Tue - ran 6k
    Wed - ran 6k

so far so good, so ill keep ye updated, my aim is to lose around 3 stone and to run half marathon before end of year if not a full marathon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hidden

Good luck, first few weeks can be hard going, putting your runners on can be the hardest! when you have a few weeks done it will get easier.
    I did it, and if i can.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Fair play - go for it.

Be gentle, though...it's easy to injure yourself in initial enthusiasm, and a couple of weeks off when you're just hitting your stride can derail things entirely. Consider doing some cycling or some hillwalking or something else too, and not pounding yourself too hard too soon.

Still, enjoy the rush of enthusiasm - it's a great feeling of discovery.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EdMoses

Congrats on the 10k. Great sense of achievement isn't it? I'm a bit of a novice myself having only started last July. Like yourself my weight was an issue but believe me once it starts to come off and you see and feel the difference it'll be worth all the hard slog. Just be careful not to do too much too soon. I did and ended up getting injured with a lengthy layoff. Plenty of rest days in between to begin with. Very best of luck with it. Ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tomtoure

continued on from last week, went playing football thursday night instead of a run and got a kick right in the knee, which derailed my running over the weekend, knee swelled up straight away so i think ye may have been right about doing to much to soon. Got out for a cycle yesterday but knee seems to have healed, so ill try a few easy runs today and tomorrow and see how it is.
    Weight in this morning 18st 2 pounds, down 1, not the best but considering the small injury, not the worst, hopefully next monday ill be in the seventeens :)

Monday - Ran 6.5km, was tough after lay off
    Tuesday - Ran 5km and 30 min cycle
    Wednesday - Ran 9km, hit the wall at 2km and 5km but got through it and delighted i did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Take it easy...enthusiasm can lead to injury in short order. Be sure to stretch plenty and not run too hard.

Fair play on the hard work, though!

Hi All, i meant to come back on this so many times to give an update but kept forgetting.
    Story since my last post was in May i did the Kildare 10k and i tripped over a girl who had fallen, i completed the race in 1hr 1 min battered and bruised, about a week after this i went for a run and hurt my back, doctor said the fall in the race was the cause, so i had a months lay off. Whe i got back to training i took up swimming, along with the cycling.
    Did this for summer and did a 10k mid september and did it in 56 mins, was delighted to knock 5 mins from previous time but felt i could have done better. Was on holidays for two weeks and returned last week, so the training has restarted, i will try to keep this updated, maybe weekly.
    Oh and my weight at the moment is 15st 10pounds, it was 18st 5pds when i started the whole process, my plan is to get down to 14st, and i will be down to that in the next few months.
    To be honest im a changed man, i love to exercise now, before it was just football but now i love the swimming, cycling and running, next year i plan to do a few triathlons and run a marathon.
    To anyone who thinks they cant do it, you can, i thought like ye for many many years but i can see the light now :-)
    Till next week....

Advertisement