Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip Off Ireland Alive and well - Car Parts.

• 10-03-2011 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Mitsubishi Space Wagon 7 seater - why am I driving (as little as I can to be honest) such a big car? Because in my family there are 3 adults and 2 toddlers both of whom need car seats.

The car is due for the NCT next week but when the mechanic checked the tracking he discovered the wishbone bushings ( and no - I have no idea what those are) needed replacing and then dumped the task of finding them on me. He did say they should be about 20 euro each. When we rang the nearest Mitsubishi dealer he quoted us a price of over 500 euro - apparently they don't sell the bushings separately. I have seen the parts on-line and they vary between 20 and 50 euro but I can't find any for a Spacewagon.

Seriously - 500 odd euro!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

All of the car manufacturers are guilty of this kind of crap, where the small part that wears out is attached to a large chunk of metal that would only wear out if you put it in a crusher.:mad:

I'll never forget the quote that I had from a Mitsubishi dealer for a replacement ignition key and the fob to go with it - €280. Needless to say, I bodged it all back together. It doesn't look pretty, but it never cost me €280 - the robbers!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

ejmaztec wrote: »
    All of the car manufacturers are guilty of this kind of crap, where the small part that wears out is attached to a large chunk of metal that would only wear out if you put it in a crusher.:mad:

I'll never forget the quote that I had from a Mitsubishi dealer for a replacement ignition key and the fob to go with it - €280. Needless to say, I bodged it all back together. It doesn't look pretty, but it never cost me €280 - the robbers!:mad:

Most annoying thing is mechanic is insistent he just needs the bushings. :mad:

@jarecki1976 - first place I tried - no luck. Have my fingers crossed that a local car breaker (who have saved me, my car, and my wallet before) may have them.

Am I right in assuming I'll fail the NCT if they arn't replaced before it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

My dad always gets parts over the border, usually half the price if not less and they do a weekly drop in Dundalk when they've orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Yup, common on new cars these days.

I've wheel bearings for the Ford Focus come all as one unit when its just a few ball bearings are worn inside it, the unit isnt serviceable :(

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Most annoying thing is mechanic is insistent he just needs the bushings. :mad:

@jarecki1976 - first place I tried - no luck. Have my fingers crossed that a local car breaker (who have saved me, my car, and my wallet before) may have them.

Am I right in assuming I'll fail the NCT if they arn't replaced before it?

If they need replacing, no doubt the NCT testers will spot the wear and fail the car. It would be pure luck if you happened to find parts in the breaker's yard that would get the car through the test.

Check out your local motor-factor, and hope that he doesn't tell you that you have to go to the main-dealer, like I've been told on a couple of occasions when looking for Mitsubishi parts for my wife's car.:(

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If they need replacing, no doubt the NCT testers will spot the wear and fail the car. It would be pure luck if you happened to find parts in the breaker's yard that would get the car through the test.

Check out your local motor-factor, and hope that he doesn't tell you that you have to go to the main-dealer, like I've been told on a couple of occasions when looking for Mitsubishi parts for my wife's car.:(

Breaker has some but he says they're not great. He's trying to find me some...fingers crossed!

Been to motor factors - they did indeed tell me to go to main dealers but that the bushing shouldn't cost more than 20- 30 euro each.

Looked on US Mitsubishi parts sites but they don't seem to have the Spacewagon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

But its only called space wago in some countries!

fromwiki
    Internationally, it has been sold under various names, including Mitsubishi Space Wagon, Mitsubishi Chariot, Mitsubishi Nimbus and Mitsubishi Expo

91011 wrote: »

fromwiki
    Internationally, it has been sold under various names, including Mitsubishi Space Wagon, Mitsubishi Chariot, Mitsubishi Nimbus and Mitsubishi Expo

Cheers for clearing that up. If I have to look outside Ire/UK at least now I'll know what 'names' to look for.

Have just received a quote from a breaker in the UK- both offside and nearside bushes for £96 incl VAT and p&p.

The main dealers need to wake up and smell the recession - I love Mitsubishi cars and have driven them for over 20 years - but if I am going to continue to have this hassle when I need parts well then my next car won't be a Mitsubishi...

91011 wrote: »

fromwiki

Different names in different markets is standard for a lot of cars, and sometimes for reasons only obvious in the country that they're being sold in, like the Toyota MR2 years ago, which was called Coupé MR in France, because MR2 sounded like the French for sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

I buy all my parts from the North. Example:

Front roll bar & inner CV joint (spider and cup)
    Grandons in Cork almost 500

Mervyn S in Belfast €320 DELIVERED!

Alfa 156

Contact the dealers in the north if you need genuine parts.

Have some on route from Coventry - £96 for Offside and nearside incl VAT and P&P - sadly they won't arrive before NCT today but as the tracking is not actually off hopefully the car will pass.

Advertisement