Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stricter on Access to certain websites?

• 10-03-2011 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭

Just this week in the library on my laptop I have noticed the 'IT Carlow proxy' has gotten a lot stricter on certain websites, 'MegaVideo' for example is entirely blocked now :(

A lot of people use this website for catching up with certain series etc.

Why are they blocked? Whay have IT Carlow gotten stricter on their proxy? :(

I have noticed a few websites are like this.

This is on my laptop by the way.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Most likely the bandwidth usage. While I'm sure Carlow IT has caching servers for content, the network is provided for academic reasons first and foremost and if they find that people catching up on TV series is having any negative effect on network performance it would be blocked. We a few are blocked at once could be for many reasons, maybe monthly or quartly review of proxy server activity showed an increase in activity to certain sites the college either deam not suitable or are using too much bandwidth.

My opinion, not actual fact, but hope it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

double GG wrote: »
    Just this week in the library on my laptop I have noticed the 'IT Carlow proxy' has gotten a lot stricter on certain websites, 'MegaVideo' for example is entirely blocked now :(

A lot of people use this website for catching up with certain series etc.

Why are they blocked? Whay have IT Carlow gotten stricter on their proxy? :(

I have noticed a few websites are like this.

This is on my laptop by the way.

Over the last few weeks my laptop has been extremely slow on the it carlow wireless, i asked in the I.T. department last week and they said there is a lot of people streaming and its slowing down download speeds.

I would say they have cut down on this now. In fairness youtube and all those megavideo type site should be blocked like facebook till 5 o clock when there is not as many people in the library.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

how about you pay for your own internet and catch up on your series at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Paterson

duffman13 wrote: »
    I would say they have cut down on this now. In fairness youtube and all those megavideo type site should be blocked like facebook till 5 o clock when there is not as many people in the library.

Youtube can be very useful for some courses while doing research, I know alot use it for crap but i would appose a ban on youtube

Youtube isn't blocked yet.

Have noticed websites like weraz now being blocked also when a few weeks ago they where not.

Maybe they are getting stricter, maybe because its people using to much download or maybe they just copped on after they re blocked facebook.

• Advertisement
Advertisement