Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAAW

Options
  • 10-03-2011 7:30pm

A serious question here, has this group been disbanded?
    Just watching the RTE news on Libya, it looks pretty appalling there tbh.
    I didn't see today's Advertiser (which is where I've read about most of their protests etc), so maybe I missed something.
    In all honesty I wouldn't be their greatest fan, but surely, even just to give a veneer of evenhandedness to their policies/agenda, they must have something to say on this matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

ARE you genuinely asking or are you just restating your point from this thread?

Genuinely asking, I replied on that thread, innisboffin. I don't think they are/ were too large an organisation and have heard zip in the past month or so from them. Do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The conflict in Libya is internal, anti-Gaddafi rebels against pro-Gaddafi forces.
    There is no other country afaik invading Libya.

I don't know their policies but assume they're mostly against the war(s) in the Middle East where no WMD was found but somehow control of oil passed from Hussein to Dick Cheney.

Fair enough, biko, not exactly a direct answer but I know where you're coming from. There is a huge difference between invasion of one sovereign country by others (whatever their motivations) and a civil war.
    I know GAAW was set up to oppose the US - led invasion of Iraq, as the US forces (very) slowly withdraw perhaps GAAW are wrapping up their activities as well?
    I admit I have usually skimmed over their public pronouncements, but I believe there were some people involved who were/are more or less anti- all war.
    Anyway, not trolling, but yet again anyone know anything for sure?

Does it really matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

They are more vocal when it comes to our air show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Or when the Brits are involved.

OP - google spits up some interesting data that leads me to believe they are not disbanded. However it's inconclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Libya supported the IRA so it might therefore be suggested by some that GAAW might not be too vocal on this conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

churchview wrote: »
    Libya supported the IRA so it might therefore be suggested by some that GAAW might not be too vocal on this conflict.

I wonder why..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

GAAW should be back with a bang (excuse the pun) shortly,afterall Niall o'Brollachain has plenty of spare time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

barryd09 wrote: »
    GAAW should be back with a bang (excuse the pun) shortly,afterall Niall o'Brollachain has plenty of spare time now.

Saints preserve us!

GAAW (aka GA the US and the UK), should send O Brolchain as their envoy to Libya. He's more chance of bringing peace there than he has with his latest bid to get elected to the Seanad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

inisboffin wrote: »
    OP - google spits up some interesting data that leads me to believe they are not disbanded. However it's inconclusive.

They're not disbanded. I did an interview with Niall Farrel in November last year and his position was that they were still active and would continue to be active.

Now, whether they're actually doing anything at the moment is less clear, but they claim to remain as an organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

mention plans for a Salthill air show and that will have them crawling out of the woodwork! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

They were fond of a bit of intimidation back in the day..

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/93296

churchview wrote: »

Neither here nor there though. The US itself had links to lots of 'regieme' leaders, and supposedly the US are GAAW's sworn enemies :rolleyes:
    it's a more tangled web than that.

From indirect contact through a neighbour, I gather GAAW, like any other group, has it's mixture of sound people, downright bullies, and all in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

they are a small group who think an aer arann plane flying over the bay during the airshow is responsible for the deaths of thousands of iraqis. i for one would be well up for setting up a similar group when the airshow does come back. anyone interested please meet on prom on airshow day. we will be calling ourselves GAATGAAW (Galway Alliance Against The GAAW)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

the judean peoples front!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Splitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Zillah wrote: »
    They're not disbanded. I did an interview with Niall Farrel in November last year and his position was that they were still active and would continue to be active.
    OP, answer to your question here.
    Since this thread has just started to repeat (airshow/funding/US/potshots/flyboys/GAGAAW/helicopter doors falling/insurance/blah) what the last 10 have done I'll just close it now. I'm sure there's on over in Aviation still going.
    If anyone feels it should be left open PM a mod.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement