Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fence paint

• 10-03-2011 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hi

we have a post and rail fence and paint it with black fence life water based paint. only problem it fades and has to be painted twice a year. the rails are of smooth finish and fade quicker than the posts as they are rough finish. wonder does anyone know any black fence paint thats available that is more successful

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Creosote blend. Not the most pleasant stuff, stinks, but does the job.
    Just painted my fence and it looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bulldawg

ya but cresote doesnt come in black but thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

It says "dark brown" on the container but it looks black on my fence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Use the old oil from your car or truck after an oil change on the fence, costs zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bulldawg

thanks will definately try both of these hopefully it will be more successful than fence life

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I have the same problem as well. I painted it the first year with fence life in the red colour. I painted it again last year with the black fence life.

It looked desperate and I got 25L of cresote and tried that and you wouldnt even notice the difference. It dried straight into it. I mixed it 50/50 with burnt oil and still little satisfaction. It like painting glass...

If I put the Cresote on first day it would be great but that fence life is a pure curse. I think I will have to sand down the whole thing and start from scratch...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Damien_d12

what is the best method to paint my fence. we live in a semi-deteched house in dublin 15 and the garden fence has about 20 panels. The last time I painted it with fence life (red) by brush and it took forever so I'm wondering if I can hire a paint machine or something to get the job done quicker? the panel boards overlap, so a traditional roller will not be good enough.

all ideas welcome as I'm starting this weekend and don't want to waste too much time on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Damien_d12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Creosote mixed with black bitumen paint gives you that lovely black look, it's also very effective and long lasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

dnme wrote: »
    Creosote mixed with black bitumen paint gives you that lovely black look, it's also very effective and long lasting.

Where would I get that bitumen paint. I take it that would be better than burnt oil??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Where would I get that bitumen paint. I take it that would be better than burnt oil??

any hardware, builders merchants

Advertisement