Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When to start playing?

• 10-03-2011 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Righteo, hoping all ye footie heads can point me in the right direction here! Basically I've been toying with the idea to have a go at Aussie Rules for a while, several computer games + TG4 coverage + my general sporting curiosity = great interest in having a go at it myself, especially with the soccer coming to an end late April. Problem is I'm only 17, and despite the fact that I'm a tall guy I can't see myself challenging physically at Senior level yet. I've played tough sports before (Rugby, Lacrosse, play in goal in football, on the school Gah team) so I don't mind contact, but the idea of walking away from every game with rake marks down my back isn't very appealing :P (Plus the parents are convinced I'll kill myself trying to play it). I've been on the Leeside Lions website and the training and match times suit me perfectly, but I'm not sure if I'm a little young yet to be trying to compete at that level physically.

Also, how high is the standard over here? I know about Ireland's exploits in the European and World game, but I presume being such a niche sport the competition isn't massively strong.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

Righteo, hoping all ye footie heads can point me in the right direction here! Basically I've been toying with the idea to have a go at Aussie Rules for a while, several computer games + TG4 coverage + my general sporting curiosity = great interest in having a go at it myself, especially with the soccer coming to an end late April. Problem is I'm only 17, and despite the fact that I'm a tall guy I can't see myself challenging physically at Senior level yet. I've played tough sports before (Rugby, Lacrosse, play in goal in football, on the school Gah team) so I don't mind contact, but the idea of walking away from every game with rake marks down my back isn't very appealing :P (Plus the parents are convinced I'll kill myself trying to play it). I've been on the Leeside Lions website and the training and match times suit me perfectly, but I'm not sure if I'm a little young yet to be trying to compete at that level physically.

Also, how high is the standard over here? I know about Ireland's exploits in the European and World game, but I presume being such a niche sport the competition isn't massively strong.

i think 17 is fine.. if you can handle a few hits and knocks and bruises.. you can handle this.. if you want i can get you in contact with lads from cork and they can introduce you to the game itself, i think they should be back training the last week or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭shefellover93

managerman wrote: »
    i think 17 is fine.. if you can handle a few hits and knocks and bruises.. you can handle this.. if you want i can get you in contact with lads from cork and they can introduce you to the game itself, i think they should be back training the last week or so

Thanks for the reply! I got onto em and I'm heading off training there in 2 hours or so, can't wait:pac:

Thanks for the reply! I got onto em and I'm heading off training there in 2 hours or so, can't wait:pac:

sure let us know how you got on.. i know a couple of the lads on the team... there all sound boys

Been training twice now and it's gone very well so far! Surprised at how well my skills from other sports have transferred, and we had basically a full contact posession game today and I didn't feel out of my depth. Lads couldn't be nicer, and I can't wait for the 9's tourney at the end of April. Have any ideas when the fixtures will be out?

Been training twice now and it's gone very well so far! Surprised at how well my skills from other sports have transferred, and we had basically a full contact posession game today and I didn't feel out of my depth. Lads couldn't be nicer, and I can't wait for the 9's tourney at the end of April. Have any ideas when the fixtures will be out?

im not sure when the fixtures are out.. think the first game is in may.. keep checking the arfli website for details..

the lads are pretty sound.. good encouragement too, sully, quiggs, vincey,stretch, rob.. are the boys are cool.. sure i might be playing against ya some day!

• Advertisement

I've been on there regular enough alright. At least they have dates up which is good. Looking forward to the Super 9's now! Yeah, standard isn't too bad either. Just need to get myself fit!

What club are ya playing for?

alright dude how are you finding the aussie rules so far?

managerman wrote: »
    alright dude how are you finding the aussie rules so far?

Tis great I have to say. Took part in the Schools cup and played against the Tigers as well. Couldn't make the Lightning Carnival from which one of the lads got selected on the World team from which was disappointing but looking forward to the next few matches. Managed to crock el Presidente O'Hara in the first five minutes of the senior match so I don't think that particularly helps my case :pac:

What club are ya playing for manager?

Advertisement