Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tests after 3rd mc?

Options
  • 10-03-2011 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I just had my 3rd mc and am waiting for an appointment to see if there is anything causing them. It should be in about 6 weeks. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what tests are involved and how long the whole process usually takes? This mc was a very long and drawn out one and I was just so relieved it was finally over and wanted to get out of the hospital that I never asked the doctors any questions. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

First my condolences on your loss. I've had two misses and like you the last one seemed to go on forever.
    I would ring the hospital and ask to be put through to the department that was handling your miscarriage and tell them you have questions, they will give you a contact.
    Fingers crossed things can be sorted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

As far as I know they take blood and check for clotting problems, antibodies, immunity against diseases. They are all standards checks.

I had a stillbirth at just over 22 wks so they also sent the placenta off for testing too. I could have had a post mortem done but as he looked perfectly heathly we decided against it.

Good luck with everything. I am currently pregnant and on the advice of my consultant was taking aspirin (to supress the antibodies) and extra folic acid (to help the placenta) as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I would ask the consultant what is the plan if you get pregnant again. I was told that as soon as I found out I was pregnant to ring straight away so that they could arrange an early appointment.

The best thing is to write down a list of questions that you have. Sometimes they can tend to rush things and you only remember once you have left that you wanted to ask things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭nix84

Much appreciated. Thank you

Advertisement