Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specsavers, optician misdiagnosed my prescription

Options
  • 10-03-2011 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

Basically I got new glasses on Wednesday. There is no difference whatsoever from my last glasses. I still can't see signposts while driving unless up very close. This isn't right. I rang them today and they said I'd have to give it a week for my eyes to get used to the glasses. I know my own eyes, I need stronger lenses. When I go back next week what are my rights? If I have to get stronger lenses (which I obviously do) will the retest and new lenses be free because I wasn't happy with the ones they gave me or do I have to pay for all of this? I just want to be sure before I go in there next week if anyone knows if it's their problem or mine basically. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Why don't you go to a different optician, get a second opinion, and if you do need a stronger prescription, bring it to specsavers and ask for your money back on the basis that they didn't do a proper examination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

January wrote: »
    Why don't you go to a different optician, get a second opinion, and if you do need a stronger prescription, bring it to specsavers and ask for your money back on the basis that they didn't do a proper examination.

I was thinking of that alright but my local independent optician is another 30 euro for an eye test. If Specsavers get it wrong the second time however I would get a second opinion definitely, I was just hoping I didn't have to spend anymore money on this than I already have and I hope they'd get it right the second time. I just want to know really if this should be free as I wasn't happy with the first diagnosis? If anyone else has any experience of this with Specsavers. Can't find anything specifically to do with this on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

It's 100% their fault, it sounds like they made the glasses to match your old prescription and not the results of your new eye test, this happens. Give them the opportunity to correct it, if they don't then go to the Association of Optometrists of Ireland and complain - their website is http://www.optometrists.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Arciphel wrote: »
    It's 100% their fault, it sounds like they made the glasses to match your old prescription and not the results of your new eye test, this happens. Give them the opportunity to correct it, if they don't then go to the Association of Optometrists of Ireland and complain - their website is http://www.optometrists.ie/

Woah hold your horses there. You are basing that Specsavers got the prescription wrong on what exactly? Do you know anything about Daisy prescription?

Daisy get a second opinion you are going to have to pay for it. But it's better to know than not know if the prescription is done correctly. If there is a mistake then Specsavers are obligated to correct it. But you don't really know until you get a second opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I can't see how anybody can diagnose the problem here, as it's partially a medical one. Nobody can assume the optician got it wrong without inspecting the lenses and comparing them to the prescription.

Why not just to back to them, state what you said here and ask them to check the prescription against your latest eye test? Ask also to speak with the optician rather than the counter staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Shouldn't have gone to Specsavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I've been in your boat and after the week I found the glass much better.

However, I had been warned of this when I picked them up.

After a week if needs be ask that your eyes are tested by a different person and that they compare the results and also the lens prescribed. If there is a difference they should change the lens for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

Thanks everyone. I went back on Friday and a different optician diagnosed the exact same prescription? :confused: She was as baffled as me....I don't know what to do. I know I can't see as well as I used to....I had my friend in the car today and she was testing me on how far back I could see signposts from, she could see them way further back than I could. I had to be up really close. And she doesn't even have perfect eyesight. So I'm not just imagining it.

The optician said my eyes are perfectly healthy so there's nothing wrong there. Should I just go to a local optician now and see what they think? I really don't understand how they think I have the perfect glasses for me when I can't see well at all with them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You might be better to ask on a medical forum.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

Did the 'goggles' they use to measure your prescription seem better to you than your glasses? If not then it's not the prescription, but if so then maybe the glasses don't match your prescription, did they check your glasses?

• Advertisement
Advertisement