Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would like to learn about Linux and Virtual OS

• 10-03-2011 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have a "spare" computer that I would like to use to start
    experimenting with Linux and Virtual Operating Systems.

I'd like to do cool things like making the computer
    boot to a flash drive running Android or Linux etc.

Can anyone recommend a Linux version to get started with?

Can anyone recommend cool applications that Linux can offer?

Like what cool things can a Linux system do that Windows can't?

Nothing too technical please:) I know a bit about computers but
    want to learn by doing - starting off with easy tasks.

I'm just looking for some ideas to mess around with.

The computer is a Dell Optiplex GX 620 running WIndows XP.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Well, if you want to preserve xp, you can install virtual box first. This allows you to load virtual os's on your computer without constantly wiping the hard drive.

Ubuntu is a popular version of linux, with a large forum to ask for help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

That virtual box looks like the kind of thing I'm after to get started.

What kind of applications can you run in Linux?

I know a PC repair shop that uses a machine with several Virtual
    OS running for diagnosing and fixing computer problems, that sounds
    very cool.

Thanks for posting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

I would start with Ubuntu, and then move on to something like Slackware. You should eventually try Arch Linux and Gentoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

I recomend Ubuntu, or Mint .You can download Virtual Box , and run any linux distro, andWindows . iI plannin on running virtual machine I a recomend you ramp up the ram to aleast 3GB.Also if look out fro linux fromat in bookshops, they always have fee bootable DVDs usalyl with more that one distro onthem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

• Advertisement

I have downloaded the Ubuntu / Knoppix / Puppy Linux iso images.

That's my weekend project sorted! :)

Do I make a bootable CD from these iso images to take control
    of a Windows based system by booting from the CD?

Do I just open these in Virtual box and they'll work?

Take Ubuntu for example.
    Burn to cd. Ubuntu is a "live" cd. This means its designed to run right away (from the cd) if you allow it, to run in memory without having to actually install to your harddrive. Everything is for a live/demo run, put into temp memory (your RAM*).

Put into drive and reboot using the cd - providing that the pc's first option to boot up from - if not change it to that way (Don't know how? Come back and ask).
    First eventual question will be "do you want to test Ubuntu" using the cd or "do you want to install"?

I suggest you chose the first option if you've not used Ubuntu before. As I said above everything will run just in memory and not from your harddrive where at that testing/viewing stage, nothing is installed - nor will be.

If you chose the second, Ubuntu will go through a series of straight forward questions with you (not that many, 6/7), it will then look at your hard-drive, display it in graphic form as well as text.
    It will ask you do you want to install it alongside detected Windows?
    (If so and you chose that option, it will then automatically using inbuilt software, divide (partition) your hard-drive to create a separate install area for Ubuntu.)
    ...Or install fresh having during the process wiped (formatted) the WHOLE harddrive?
    ...Or give you a manual option for advanced users (stay away unless you 100% know what your doing)!

If your just testing the Ubuntu system, there is no need to use the virtual app in Windows (you still can if you want to but it makes the testing/trial running of the cd - that is meant to kick in at start-up of a pc - more difficult. For your trying to run it on an already fully started pc.).
    ALL your doing is running/testing/viewing the Ubuntu operating system completely from the cd and no files are effected on your hard drive unless your wish to save a created file later on while checking a word or graphic app (for example, etc) out.

You can if you wish use the virtual application if you wish to test out the install procedure without actually doing a genuine full install.
    Either way, for 'installing' Ubuntu, you will see it is very straight forward.

Note, during the install procedure it will refer to a start-up tool called "Grub".
    This is tiny app(lication) that kicks in as soon as you press the standard PC power button, on. "Grub" allows the display of the eventual options of starting up your pc with one operating system or another.

IMPORTANT: Remember to back-up any important files or work etc first, just in case something goes wrong.
    It shouldn't with Ubuntu - but there is always the first time!

*Random Access Memory

Thanks for your concise and well-explained help Biggins, may the Lords of Kobol bless your path. :)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You can follow biggins advice, but that's for a complete install. Will wipe xp. Found this to help you.

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html#gui-createvm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Biggins wrote: »
    Take Ubuntu for example.
    Burn to cd. Ubuntu is a "live" cd. This means its designed to run right away (from the cd) if you allow it, to run in memory without having to actually install to your harddrive. Everything is for a live/demo run, put into temp memory (your RAM*).

Put into drive and reboot using the cd - providing that the pc's first option to boot up from - if not change it to that way (Don't know how? Come back and ask).
    First eventual question will be "do you want to test Ubuntu" using the cd or "do you want to install"?

I suggest you chose the first option if you've not used Ubuntu before. As I said above everything will run just in memory and not from your harddrive where at that testing/viewing stage, nothing is installed - nor will be.

If you chose the second, Ubuntu will go through a series of straight forward questions with you (not that many, 6/7), it will then look at your hard-drive, display it in graphic form as well as text.
    It will ask you do you want to install it alongside detected Windows?
    (If so and you chose that option, it will then automatically using inbuilt software, divide (partition) your hard-drive to create a separate install area for Ubuntu.)

...Or install fresh having during the process wiped (formatted) the WHOLE harddrive?
    ...Or give you a manual option for advanced users (stay away unless you 100% know what your doing)!

If your just testing the Ubuntu system, there is no need to use the virtual app in Windows (you still can if you want to but it makes the testing/trial running of the cd - that is meant to kick in at start-up of a pc - more difficult. For your trying to run it on an already fully started pc.).
    ALL your doing is running/testing/viewing the Ubuntu operating system completely from the cd and no files are effected on your hard drive unless your wish to save a created file later on while checking a word or graphic app (for example, etc) out.

You can if you wish use the virtual application if you wish to test out the install procedure without actually doing a genuine full install.
    Either way, for 'installing' Ubuntu, you will see it is very straight forward.

Note, during the install procedure it will refer to a start-up tool called "Grub".
    This is tiny app(lication) that kicks in as soon as you press the standard PC power button, on. "Grub" allows the display of the eventual options of starting up your pc with one operating system or another.

IMPORTANT: Remember to back-up any important files or work etc first, just in case something goes wrong.
    It shouldn't with Ubuntu - but there is always the first time!

*Random Access Memory
    MarkR wrote: »
    You can follow biggins advice, but that's for a complete install. Will wipe xp. Found this to help you.

Biggins has a partition install explained there aswell. Very informative post.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your concise and well-explained help Biggins, may the Lords of Kobol bless your path. :)
    Your welcome. So say we all. :D
    MarkR wrote: »

I've installed Ubuntu alone a number of times alone and I've been given as one of the options, to install it along side XP if I wished to - but as the OP has said he is going the virtual route, this shouldn't be be a problem anyway if done right. :)

Advertisement